Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
AMA says, "Wait to register" >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And to add to the problem we can now be scammed in the process. http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...on-scam-sites/
Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no torch or pitchfork on the matter. But putting myself on the FAA, AMA and those who fly their rc aircraft above 400 ft and in front of commercial airliner cockpits shoes, it is clear to me who is at fault.

The AMA has diligently stay close to the FAA to protect their members over the last couple of years. The FAA has stayed out of the hobby for many decades and honestly, it looks like they never felt they needed to be involved. However, with the so many reports of drone sight from pilots, they were forced to step in.

I can't imagine the havoc it could create if some knuckeheads puts cameras on rc cars and go into the interstate. I imagine the DOT would get involved immediately.

The fact the AMA was not able to turn things, it is because it is beyond their control. I think the idea of replacing the FAA# with the AMA# for their members is a great idea and hopefully they are successful. But the fact that the FAA needs to know who uses US airspace and could potentially enter full size aircraft flight paths is inevitable.

Hopefully, as time goes by and there is more exposure about our hobby, it will be easier to identify and differentiate those who fly safely and harmlessly vs. those who want to cause trouble.

Last edited by falcon_56; 12-23-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great points!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:20 AM
My Feedback: (5)

I was at an auto dealership yesterday and some knucklehead flew a drone over and around.If I had shotgun I would have taken him out.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:30 AM
My Feedback: (2)

AMA is way off base in urging any of us to break federal law. Are they going to pay the 27 grand fine when I get caught? I think they've wasted a lot of the RC community's money and resources by playing kiss butt with the FAA.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:39 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Mustang Fever
AMA is way off base in urging any of us to break federal law. Are they going to pay the 27 grand fine when I get caught? I think they've wasted a lot of the RC community's money and resources by playing kiss butt with the FAA.
Doesn't the punishment have to at least remotely fit the crime? I think a warning would be the most reasonable if someone is flying within the AMA safety code and is not registered. Maybe they should raise 5+ mph over the limit speeding tickets to 50,000. I could argue that it makes MUCH more sense from a safety standpoint to raise speeding fines to 50,000. Think of all the accidents and deaths that might be avoided. Not picking on you, just trying to make a point that it would be ridiculous to fine someone flying safely 27,000 just for not registering. Now, someone flying on the approach path to Washington National who is not registered; sure make an example out of them.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Banned

After all of this you have distilled this down to the AMA urging us to break federal law?
Old 12-23-2015, 11:57 AM

Yeah. The rest of it has just been one big cluster f****. The AMA has accomplished nothing except pressuring congress to pass a law that the FAA ignores, and that will probably fail in the courts, as it conflicts with FAAs statutory authority to regulate all aircraft.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by HoundDog
That maybe what the Feds want U to Think. Then what is that Number on Your Pilot certificate or Your drivers license. Is that number U or a piece of paper?
U Have a Social Security? Does that Card refer to U or the Piece of paper in Your Pocket? Just asking. they may say it's not registering people but If that is what People then They are to S&(^id to be fixed. Or may they should be to get theme out of the Human gene pool.

Besides
According to a good friend and Retired TWA Captain with some very good FSDO Connections told me they said there were 36,000 registrations as of 10 am yesterday 23 Dec. '15.
If U wish to fly (Legally) then register and put that number on your sUAS. If we don't I'm sure the FAA can and will make many more ridiculous but Much More resistive and expensive rules for us to follow. Just MY Humble Opinion. Free and easy is GOOD.
That is a poor number and the traffic is dwindling quidkly.,
Old 12-23-2015, 12:00 PM

They didn't ask us to break Federal law! You think you have to register now? You can fly till Feb 21 and you can wait longer than that but you cannot fly until registering.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Oh, come on.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:08 PM

Oh, come on.
You asked for it with stupidity.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Why does it seem no one cares about the fact that Congress told the FAA they are not allowed to do this at all? Everyone is arguing over the semantics of it instead of getting a hold of their US representatives in the Senate and in Congress to enforce their rules on the FAA instead of the FAA forcing illegal rules on us? Part 336 is not vague.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Banned

People very much care about it, including the AMA who filed an appeal on the issue that was languishing in court, largely unable to move forward until this weeks FAA decision. Letting our rep's now about this is a great idea as well. For those in CA...good luck! It's just as bad here, I gotta deal with Blumenthal, who has already called for more stringent rules than what we are looking at now!
Old 12-23-2015, 03:25 PM
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by mike1974
The FAA is not going to waste their time and money trying to make an example out of somebody flying responsibly who didn't register. Is that not counter productive to the whole point of registration? I thought they wanted to stop the people that were doing stupid things? 36,000 registered huh? How many aircraft expected to hit the skies in 2 days? how many people fly RC aircraft currently? Does not sound like this registration thing is working out very well so far, nor do I ever expect it to.

Don't forget the site was down more than half the time ... Anyway I'd venture to guess that if Registration doesn't work to stem the problem the FAA/DOT will enact
FAR's /Legislation Much akin to what is already here for Commercial UAS operations. The FAA aren't fools they can and will enact much more sevear Regs. We have been given a break "Register and Put the number in your Plane for FREE What could be easier? U Dip Wads don't know what a break U are getting and U will F it all up for every one else. Call your local FSDO and tell them U won't Register see where that lands ya. Giv'em a Call and see what they are not to waste their time doing.
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/
Old 12-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
They didn't ask us to break Federal law! You think you have to register now? You can fly till Feb 21 and you can wait longer than that but you cannot fly until registering.
Did the AMA clarify that period of grace does not apply to new RC aircraft acquired since 21st Dec? If people want to fly the new toys they get for Christmas they must register first.

This also applies to older models sold to new owners - e.g. buy a 5 year old plane from a fellow club member in January, you can't fly it until you register. I hope the AMA made that clear...

Q5. Do I have to register my UAS immediately? Is there a grace period?

If you operated your UAS before Dec. 21, 2015, you have until February 19, 2016 to register your UAS. If you purchase your UAS after Dec. 21, 2015, you must register before you operate it outdoors.

Q39. When must UAS owners who purchased their aircraft before December 21, 2015 register?

A. UAS operated by the current owner prior to December 21, 2015, must be registered no later than February 19, 2016. For all other UAS, registration is required prior to operation.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-23-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Did the AMA clarify that period of grace does not apply to new RC aircraft acquired since 21st Dec? If people want to fly the new toys they get for Christmas they must register first.

This also applies to older models sold to new owners - e.g. buy a 5 year old plane from a fellow club member in January, you can't fly it until you register. I hope the AMA made that clear...

If you operated your UAS before Dec. 21, 2015, you have until February 19, 2016 to register your UAS. If you purchase your UAS after Dec. 21, 2015, you must register before you operate it outdoors.

Q39. When must UAS owners who purchased their aircraft before December 21, 2015 register?

A. UAS operated by the current owner prior to December 21, 2015, must be registered no later than February 19, 2016. For all other UAS, registration is required prior to operation.
The FAQ is wrong on several items. I believe that is incorrect.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:48 PM
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Rob2160

Have U heard anyone show the Unenlightened how to accomplish This requirement to Register your self before one flies their new Christmas R/C Toys. I've heard the News media say incorrectly u have to register your Drone but nothing about how. Have U?

just do it
What more can a guy want.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-23-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The FAQ is wrong on several items. I believe that is incorrect.
Can you provide a reference with correct information?

The text of the Interim final rule agrees with the FAQ.

Compliance:

Any small unmanned aircraft operated exclusively as a model aircraft by its current owner prior to December 21, 2015 must be registered no later than February 19, 2016.

All other small unmanned aircraft intended to be used exclusively as model aircraft (i.e., for hobby and recreational purposes in accordance with the requirements of section 336 of Pub. L. 112-95)—newly purchased or never before used—must be registered prior to the first operation outdoors.

Thus, any small unmanned aircraft purchased, received as a gift, or otherwise acquired on or after December 21, 2015, and intended to be used exclusively as a model aircraft must be registered prior to operation.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-24-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by raptureboy
And to add to the problem we can now be scammed in the process. http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...on-scam-sites/
No one seems concerned that they may have signed up on the fake scam site. One, their credit card info is out there for whoever. Two, they may not be a "legal" RC flier.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fliers1
No one seems concerned that they may have signed up on the fake scam site. One, their credit card info is out there for whoever. Two, they may not be a "legal" RC flier.
There is only so much that can be done to prevent people from getting scammed. The .com versus .gov should have been the first indicator something was off.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:51 AM

Folks, don't drink the koolaid,Obama is running the show so its all good,
Old 12-24-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83
There is only so much that can be done to prevent people from getting scammed. The .com versus .gov should have been the first indicator something was off.
Since AMA brought this to our attention, one thing that could be done is for AMA to show the difference between the real FAA site and the scammer's.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lonestoner
Folks, don't drink the koolaid,Obama is running the show so its all good,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	780.png
Views:	108
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	2137390  
Old 12-24-2015, 05:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fliers1
Since AMA brought this to our attention, one thing that could be done is for AMA to show the difference between the real FAA site and the scammer's.
At what point to adults accept some measure of personal responsibility and common sense? Do we need to have everything spoon fed to us? Both the FAA and the AMA immediately put the alerts out on the "scammer" websites, even legitimate ones that were looking to sell a service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.