Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Old 07-24-2021, 09:43 PM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-24-2021, 09:57 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi JPEE,

I hope this helps to illustrate my 'double decker layout' that I am considering:

5+ multi-deck layout design and construction tips | ModelRailroader.com (trains.com)

I understand the New York L that your talking about but I'm wanting something that you can do different geographical locations on a single layout (like mountains on the top section and midwestern/western on the bottom one). Yeah, I still have lots of work years ahead of me before that wonderful R word can become reality!!

You guys are really getting hit hard with both the drought and fires, not to mention the heat wave out there. I do hope you can find some relief ahead...

The storm was really not organized but was good to get us through our paces, so to speak. So we can be ready for when a good one comes our way.

I decided to forgo the diff job and just finish up the bearings. I don't want to rush the job plus with this heat, not looking forward to spending any time working on the car right now. The diff can wait until it cools down I have some extra time to spend.

I hate having to say this but it seems (at least for Fl) Covid is hitting again. Our ER has been packed each day the past 2 weeks and our hospital is full again. People being admitted while still in the waiting area. Crazy. And sadly, preventable. People. Are. Stubborn.

More Later...

Mark
Old 07-25-2021, 11:34 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark, I cannot thank you enough for including the link for the multi layer train layouts, they are spectacular! Yes this a multi year project which I adore because it won’t be over like building a plane and then sits on the bench and occasionally gets flown. This project is great for off days, rainy and hot days and will be a labor of love and dedication and SKILL.

Being born here while global warming has had a huge effect on us, we can cope with the heat. What hurts are the fat utilities for water and power so as to not lose our yards and to keep cool. Thank goodness it’s not a financial burden for us, that said, I/we could find better ways to throw money into the wind LOL. Worse than the heat is the water and availability. Few years ago we had to stop watering our lawns and let everything die. In the city was giving rebates for taking out all of your grass and shrubs and putting in gravel and ground cover of desert type plant life in your yard. People then later found out that the grant that was given to them to help pay for that was taxable as income! People didn’t know that going in and it was away for the city and state to get more tax dollars. I’m sure it might’ve pushed some people over the tipping point and cost them money. If push comes to shove, I’ll catch all the water from the washing machine end of the service porch sink which will hold at least 10 gallons and drop a pump in there and pump it out and use it for watering our yard if necessary.

I don’t know if you know what I microcell is but these are out in our desert place. While it looks like a nuclear blast what it is is the center stem of the mushroom is coming down and hitting the surface of the earth and then 360° circle blowing outwardly! These are often seen in our desert town, this picture was 110 miles East away in Phoenix. The damage form this force is “unbelievable”! One hit our town about three years ago and one city block away a pick up truck with a 27 foot trailer we’re both blown over on their side thank God nobody was in them but in the RV park they just laid them on their sides.

I hope you enjoy the photo I sent of the rear end banjo open, I said the last time we spoke I can just smell that 90 weight gear lube and how it stays with you for a long time once on your clothes are in your skin. I’m glad to hear you are postponing the rear end for a better time of the year that’s conducive of being out on the garage and under the car. I’m glad the axle bearings are going well and that’s really the real critical part as we both know.

my friend is a 21 year nurse and highly skilled. He lived through working at the hospital for the first break out and even with the years he’s cope with death and loss of patients that took a toll on him. He’s left the hospital and now working at an urgent care and this is where I get my true stats. Yesterday they saw 125 patients walk in the door and every fifth person tested positive! He’s been trained on how to run the machinery and lab work to verify positives or negatives. A week ago he had 35 people come in complaining of flu like symptoms, 17 tested positive for Covid and the other 17 either had a bad cold, flu, and streptococcus. Los Angeles city has changed the mask code again and masks must be worn in any building or enclosure, grocery store auto parts doctors office etc. We are still living rather secluded from others for our own protection. You be safe at work, I don’t have to to tell you, you do not want a second round for yourself and family. Gods speed to you and yours.

Take care JPEE
Old 07-28-2021, 11:15 PM
Aframomum

The fun has begun...

Old 07-29-2021, 05:33 AM
JPEE

Boy Oh Boy, let the cartoons begin!

Your close up photos are spectacular! I wish you all the luck in the world on this task, you can do it! You proved to me you have the skill.

JP
Old 07-29-2021, 09:47 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

I wanted to post a few quick pictures of my progress before we had to leave. I used some brake cleaner to clean things up and was able to remove the seals and bearings. That hammer tool is really something, esp. the vibrations it sends across your hand and up your arm.

All thats left is to installl the bearings and seals, seal the case, fill with new gear oil, bolt the calipers and test drive it.

Mark
Old 07-30-2021, 07:44 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

We made it to PA yesterday morning and have been staying with my wifes parents. My son is having a great time with his grandparents. Its amazing the temp differnces up here - like spring weather!

I have a friend staying at our house while we are gone so to keep things ok. Can you believe the plane we flew on was a 737Max!?! Yes, I was a bit nervous. But everything worked out.

I'm glad to hear you spoke with Glenn - I do miss his input here. I do remember Jmichael - always trying to get his birds super lite.

Gotta run now...

Mark
Old 07-30-2021, 08:41 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Glad your road trip was a safe one. That’s great for Little man to spend with his grand parents.

And for tomorrow, I wish you a HB!

JP

Old 07-30-2021, 02:12 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

Happy birthday! Since getting married, it seems like I rarely have any free time. Good luck with the car repairs. That is good your flight on the 737Max was uneventful.

My wife's cousin moved from Alaska and is staying with us until she gets situated to living here. When I was cleaning out the spare bedroom I wiped off the cobwebs on my helicopters. Maybe one day I will fly them again. There is this really big grass field near me that I thought about flying in. A lot of houses are by it, so I could probably fly my super cub and not disturb anyone. I have been trying to ride my motorcycle as much as possible. Sometimes it is not pleasant with the heat. I am finally done with my lawsuit over my house. I won, but have been waiting a few months to get paid. They don't seem eager to pay me. My lawyer is on vacation, so it will be a few days before I find out what is next. I just want to fix the house and finally move.

John,

That is good Glenn is doing well.

Nick
Old 07-30-2021, 02:16 PM
JPEE

Originally Posted by evdreamer
mark,

happy birthday! Since getting married, it seems like i rarely have any free time. Good luck with the car repairs. That is good your flight on the 737max was uneventful.

My wife's cousin moved from alaska and is staying with us until she gets situated to living here. When i was cleaning out the spare bedroom i wiped off the cobwebs on my helicopters. Maybe one day i will fly them again. There is this really big grass field near me that i thought about flying in. A lot of houses are by it, so i could probably fly my super cub and not disturb anyone. I have been trying to ride my motorcycle as much as possible. Sometimes it is not pleasant with the heat. I am finally done with my lawsuit over my house. I won, but have been waiting a few months to get paid. They don't seem eager to pay me. My lawyer is on vacation, so it will be a few days before i find out what is next. I just want to fix the house and finally move.

John,

that is good glenn is doing well.

Nick
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍jpee
Old 08-07-2021, 09:22 PM
Aframomum

Welcome back Nick,

And a big congrats on your marriage!! And that's good news your housing issue will soon be finished.

JPEE,

Glad to hear Glenn is doing well. I do remember that guy JMicheael who used to drill out his main gear in attempts to get his heli's as light as possible. Crazy times those were!

That was quite a picture you got there of the storm cell. Scary stuff for sure.

I had to reread your post that you wrote about killing off the yard and replacing it with desert vegetation, then having the funds given for that project added to the total income for tax year. Yikes! Shady crap indeed.

Thanks for the B-day wishes! I had a nice time as I had the day off from work (first in many years!) and I got to celebrate it in PA with my wife's family - cousins, uncles, a whole slew of them. We had a great BBQ and lots of food and fun!

Got home and was able to get more work done on the car - bearings and seals in, played for a day or so trying to get the damn spider gears reinstalled after they fell out when I took the axles off. But its almost all put back together and now I just have to finish putting the brakes on.

Mark

Old 08-10-2021, 12:35 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Yes that J Michael was quite a guy, he used to crack me up when he would post a picture with everything all drilled out and made lighter. You can do that with a small motor like a CP pro or any of the other little small light helicopters, there’s not enough torque to tear up the gear.

Thank you, the photo of the Micro Cell was spectacular. It was a photo I took from one of my friends in Arizona and that Cell was over Phoenix. And when it thrusts down from the center and it hits the earth again it throws tremendous power out both water and wind force this rolling over mobile homes and trailers and more. That shot just happened to be one of the greatest shots I’ve ever seen since going there since 2012.

The way we are getting the news, California may be cut off from all incoming water from Nevada Arizona Colorado, Hoover dam etc. last time when the government subsidized having you take your yard out and put in chips and Desert scape with underground drip irrigation is where they told of the refund and then people found out it was taxable after the fact. My friend and I are already are working on ideas to save our bathwater and washing machine water and catch both of those and with a pump suck out the bathtub after a shower and use that for trying to salvage some of the yard or simply flushing toilets when necessary with it. Plan for the worst as always is my policy and then see what the minimum you can get away with.

Birthday wishes are always in order my friend. Glad you guys all had a wonderful getaway and got to see those relatives not to mention the chow down at the barbecues.

The rear end photos are excellent. As I said many times before I can just smell like 90 weight gear lube, ICK! I’m sure you’ll get those spider gears back in place it’s all just a game, take your time is the solution. I know you already have the skill.
I looked for it, what do you say? The same view of your wing my oldest grandson the pilot just flew over to the Dominican republic with all of my daughters and former wife etc. while my youngest grandson was playing baseball there. . He took a 10 minute video out the window of the wing moving up and down and flexing it was quite impressive as I have never flown and I remember my dad telling me as a kid how they moved and explained why they move otherwise they would tear themselves off of the fuselage. That’s a great still photo you have as well.

Take care, we’ll talk soon, JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 08-10-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:17 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

To put your mind at ease, I was able to get those spider gears in after I watched one particular Y-tube video that mentioned, "have to line up the side gears first". Bingo! Was able to get the second one in perfectly with no adjustments needed. The retainer pin slid in and was able to bolt it in, with a bit of loctite of course. So I got my car back again.

I remember you mentioning all the water conserving methods you use - like putting a bucket to catch the shower water we all waste while waiting for the water to warm up. Never thought of reusing the washing machine water - didn't know it was possible. But when your thrown into a chaotic water situation I suppose you really start brainstorming new methods. Take care out there...

I never commented on your excellent aerial video of your house and yard. I most loved the part where you approached the opened garage - I honestly said out loud, "are you going to go through????", then laughed and said YES when you did. That was great!! You seem to have a much larger yard then your neighbors, at least it looked that way to me. Did you dig a trench and lay irrigation pipes to take the rainwater from the gutters downspouts away from the house? I couldn't remember if you mentioned it before or not.

I find it extremely hard to believe you have never flown in an airplane in all your life. Not one? You should put that on a bucket list. lol Hey, if you have 100K you could fly to the edge of space with either Jeff Bezos or Virgin Galatic - now that would be a great first time flight for ya! Of course you could ask your pilot grandson to take you up for a short hop. he he

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 08-13-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:22 PM
JPEE

Hey Mark,

We are blessed to have Y-Tube for sure, it has all of the information of the world. Side note, I wished the population of Planet Earth could do the same, be one team.

LOL we don’t get enough rain to warrant rain barrels. A girl I dated back in the day had a hose from the washer coiled up in the porch sink. When we did laundry, we would put the hose out in the flower beds and move as needed. We used cold water and biodegradable soap for years. NEED is the mother of invention right?

No pipes anywhere or recovery of rain water as noted above, even if I put 4 ea. 50 gallon drums in the backyard side of our house out of street sight they would be ugly. Four drums would catch 200 gallons. Water is sold here in HCF= hundred cubic feet. There are 7.48 gallons of water in a cubic foot of water. That equals 26.82 Cubic feet. To me, that savings of 200 gallons of water and having to look at four big 50 gallon blue drums in my backyard just doesn’t get it. I try to keep 50 gallons of potable water in our trailer in back and a gallon of bleach just to purify if it’s been there for a while. If I do drain it and exchange it then I let that water go onto my flowerbeds of course not down the back alley.

My yard is no larger than my neighbors. Mine looks large because of the grass and concreted areas, my out storage building versus just grass like the neighbors. I am glad you enjoyed the video. I pulled it because I thought it’s just a little too much to show on the open web. But thank you very much for the kudos!

I have never and doubt I will ever fly unless it was a matter of life and death. Not afraid to fly, I am uncomfortable being herded in that capsule like cattle sitting scrunched up with a bunch of strangers and that I cannot get off or get out if I chose to which make ME a hostage. The day could come to pass where I might go up with my grandson where I can say “I don’t like this” and have control over the environment to say land….but I doubt even that will happen.

As always it’s good to hear from you. You must be zooming around town now back in the drivers seat 💺 take care
JP

Last edited by JPEE; 08-14-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:24 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

So we had an interesting past 2 days. My son had a seizure yesterday morning (first time). We spent several hours in the ER and today had an appointment with the pediatric neurologist. Interesting times ahead. One thing that caught my attention was how they had the beds arranged: all rooms with a door are being reserved for covid patients while all other patients are being kept in the hallways or any other space that can fit a bed. I took this while going to the cafeteria to get my wife coffee during my son's ER stay...

Mark
Old 08-18-2021, 01:14 PM
JPEE

Mark,

My goodness you have taken my breath away with your post. I can’t even fathom what you and your wife are going through. Clearly this incident came out of left field so the shock factor must have been immense. Any parent would lay down their life for their child but in a case like this we feel helpless as there is nothing to do but wait for results. My wife and I will put your family on our prayer chain for our nightly vespers praying for the doctors to find the issue and that it can be corrected.
When my daughter was 16 she had an accident and wrecked and wrapped her car around a tree as a new driver. I get the call she’s been in a wreck, her leg is broken the car is totaled and she’s on her way to the hospital. So I can truly understand the conditions your trying to suffer through. Four years later my second daughter was almost home and a drunk hit her and knock the car I had given her up into the front yard of another home, she to survive with little to no injury except mentally. She’s never been able to drive on the freeway around a lot of traffic where there’s no place to get away if something is about to happen..She’s only a street driver and you can imagine the imposition that’s made in her life. That said, we all have our phobias, worries, fears and we cope the best way we can.

Like you in your state Covid Delta is going like crazy here. We’re treating it like we did when it first broke out in January, with extreme caution. Your hospital photo speaks volumes of what’s to come.

Please let me know how your son is doing and your free to use email for the more confidential information.

Your Ca. Friends John n Judy 🙏🏻

Last edited by JPEE; 08-18-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:02 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Thank you for the supportive words - I sent you an email.

Your stories of your daughters car accidents is scary for any parent. That is a call you cannot be prepared for, but as you said, you cope the best you can.

Mark
Old 08-31-2021, 06:33 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Things are improving - will send an email to you later on.

In the meantime, I have begun work on the tunnels that will go through the mountain. George is getting very excited to see it develop. He told me he wants the mountain to be a volcano - I suggested maybe we can do a dormant one. lol Next up will be tunnel portals, then newspaper and plaster!

Mark

Old 08-31-2021, 06:58 PM
JPEE

Mark, GOOD TO HEAR!

I have an idea for the volcano. If you make it out of plaster with a center cone of crushed re glass or plastic or translucent beds etc you could put some LEDs red and orange under it and it could glow like it was erupting!
The tunnels are getting roughed in nicely too.

JPEE
Old 09-05-2021, 09:19 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Happy September! Looking forward to some cooler weather ahead.

Yes, I am happy that the seizures are getting under control. Makes life a bit easier.

I like your idea of the LED volcano - will have to look into that. For now I have started some work on the other side of the layout trying my hand for the first time on some basic scenery. I used some wall spackle to lay down the base over the foam, then painted it an earth brown color. Then added multiple layers of ground cover, then under brush, and finally bushes to finish the scene. Finally hit it all with some diluted glue to hold everything in place. Have to say I'm happy with the results as a first timer.

In other news I finally finished up repairs and put the Goblin 570 up for sale. This way I can focus more on finishing up the Trex 500. A few weeks ago I found a new place to use for flying so am in the process of getting all my planes and heli ready for cooler weather. Figure a few more weeks and things should be there. Most important is to make sure my son is good and comfortable for going out.

That's about it for now. Hope you had a good weekend!

Mark

Spackle base

Earth Brown color

Added the scenic parts
Old 09-07-2021, 04:11 PM
JPEE

Mark,

I think we are all looking for cooler weather, this 100+ nearly daily here is killing me. We will be going to water rationing they’ve already made suggestions of sprinkler days and time limits but I see something serious coming down the pike.

We are so glad to hear there’s some control over Mr. Gs condition. We will continue what we can do from our end for him to stay on track, you get my drift.

Volcanoes volcanoes volcanoes…….. what you’ve done there on the outside of that track looks very very good for your first attempt. The painting and creating by levels of base soil in the multicolors in the greens along with the dimension that you’ve added that the bushes are highlighted really looks great. Looking at the face of the small tunnel at the back of the layout I imagine you really had to do a lot of work of fitting to make sure the railroad car would wanna go through it in when they were multi cars and they turned actually grow in length a bit that you could still not bump the edges of the tunnel face, well done.

Well well ready to send off the Goblin. Hey let’s be real, you had fun with it you had the unfortunate accident and it is an expensive Heli to maintain or repair better said. I have said this time and again and I stand by it that my tea Rex 500 is my best flyer pound for pound for speed agility holding itself together and pretty stingy for repair parts when needed after a minor incursion. I have two settings in my transmitter for the 500 to go 3-D which of my age it’s getting limited and then soft flight and just be lazy and fly her around and enjoy it. What I have noticed is that she is getting smaller to me as my eyes get older so I’ve almost lost her a couple of times just because I used to the 600 and the scale helicopter as well and had to really struggle to bring her back home. I think you’ll be very happy with that 500. What a bonus you found another place to fly………….. hopefully the next time you go out to the new place when it’s a little cooler I’ll get to see Mr. G flying his plane as well, that’s something to look forward to for me. That said, of course he has to be comfortable and want to go And of course you’ll have to do some SIM work to get back some muscle memory. I’m sure that’ll be fun for him to.

JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 09-07-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:05 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

I never got the chance to congratulate you on getting to see the Starlink launch a few weeks ago. I think that was a polar orbit which is why it went from your side. I also saw that this batch was the first to have laser signal to help the satellites send the signal directly to other satellites instead of the need for a ground station. I read that the ground stations are expensive, plus with the need to have them all over the globe as the satellites orbit, trying to put them in areas that are "politically active/hostile" can be challenging and dangerous. So a good move for SpaceX.

The Inspiration4 flight was a huge success. It'll be interesting to see what direction human space flight goes now that this door has been opened.

I was able to get out one Saturday morning a few weeks ago and finally, finally get the maiden done on my sorta-new Stinger jet. This is the 4S version and it flew just fine - no issues, no surprises. I only did one flight with it as I didn't have the lipo's velcro'd and didn't want the battery sliding back during the flight. So the flight was very simple (no rolls, no loops, no vertical) plus gave me a chance to remember how nice it was to get out and fly. Waiting for cooler weather to arrive!

I also ordered a new front landing gear for my 70mm F-16 jet as my current one is severely bent, guess I had a bad landing I forgot about! I was happy when I fired up the jet and everything else worked just fine. All servo's, motor and fan, main landing gear - all ready to go. My other 2 jets are also all good and ready - the 64mm F-22 and 64mm F-18. I had to do a bit of bodywork on the F-22 and resolder the ESC wires as one had a cold joint. I still need to finish building the Trex500 - hopefully I can get back to work on that soon. Weathers still been in the 90's so have time...

Been a busy past few weeks with the layout, trying different things and researching new methods. I'm almost done with the tunnels and am almost ready to do the volcano mountain. I also did some of my first ballasting of the track. That was a very interesting experience - laying out the ballast, brushing it to spread it out, then gluing it in place. You mentioned about tunnel portal clearances - the HO tunnel portal was the worst one to date. I took 2 of my son's longest cars - an Amtrak double decker sleeper car, and used that to set the tunnel. I had to do a lot of sanding of the tunnel portal to get the cars to clear the opening, and even then it is very close. But I got it glued in place and the cars can pass through with no problems.

On the nscale forum that I am part of I got a suggestion for the volcano (in addition to LED lights) - a smoke generator. Yep, lets take it to another level!

Its a bit long but gives you a basic idea of how to do it. I figured I could put it at the base of the volcano along with some LED lights and connect it all to a switch so you can turn it on and off from a control panel of sorts.

Meanwhile, some pictures of my ballast track and my almost finished tunnels...

Mark

Old 09-23-2021, 09:42 AM
JPEE

Hi Mark,

That I didn’t know, that it was a Polar orbit. I sure hope there are more launched from here. I was so EXCITING….. I must have sounded like a kid. Once again thank you for the insights as to the use for those satellites were launched I was under the impression it was mostly for putting up WiFi stations over areas where there are no towers for people to have coverage.

Yes I was reading up a bit on the Inspiration flight and those 4 souls trained for 6 months for the Journey.

Congratulations on the re-Maiden flight of your Stinger. I am glad you you got out of the house and had some fun, you certainly were due for some. I think we have all had that loose battery at one time or another shift and throw the CG off and in some cases bring it back to mother earth the hard way and other a real struggle to get it back and get it landed. So I am glad you were cognizant of what could happen and didn’t do your flips and rolls and inverted flight.

I kind of remember that front gear getting bent I think? Good deal on noticing that cold joint on the ESC wow! Yes our weather is been 101 104 day and day out and we’re just plum tired of it. Today we’re supposed to hit a low of 96 lol.
I’ve only flown once or twice since March 2019 when we left our desert location. I did fly the Mavic over the house and make some videos of my intent is in roof gutters and what have you but I have not been able to do a lot while under treatment.

Good to hear you did a dry run on the tunnel portals and that the railroad cars all fit properly. What you’ve got in the pictures with the track beds and the close landscape to the tracks looks really really great, congrats on that your hard work has paid off. I watch the video on the smoker and was very impressed with it. I have a smoker in my Patton tank that I’ve showed you in a video I believe and it has a few drops of the oil in there and the element gets hot and makes the smoke come out under the tank like it’s a diesel with the sound as well. But for the volcano that is gonna be so cool I’m looking forward to seeing how that comes out for you.

Thanks for the inclusion in your post for the photos of your soon to be finished tunnels in mountains and the layout, it’s really enjoyable to look at your progress and I’m glad you’re taking your time as there should be no rush, quality would definitely suffer and that’s not the way you run I know that.

You take care and I hope you get a fly more often and the weather breaks for you.

JPEE

please explain to me what is meant by ballast track?
Old 10-04-2021, 11:02 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Happy October! I hope your getting some relief from the heat...

Funny thing happened to my car a few weeks ago - my drivers side strut blew a weld/seal whatever. Point is, it completely failed and lost all compression while driving home. I think it was slowly losing compression over several days as each time I braked the car would pull hard in that direction. Couldn't quite figure out what was going on until the strut gave out. Then I knew immediately. Can you imagine the sound a car makes when a good amount of the weight is put completely on the springs? Well, its not pleasant.

So I ordered a single strut and got that put in just so I could drive the car again. I went with a different manufacture and boy could I tell a difference between the two. The older one was firm while the new one...bouncy. After driving around for a week and ordered a second replacement strut for the passenger side (same bouncy manufacturer) so I could have the same type on both sides. I'll have to see how I like the bouncy struts compared to the firm ones I had earlier. The reason I did a different manufacturer was b/c I was worried since the failed component. These were 4 years old BTW.

I believe I found the reason this happened (as unrealistic as it sounds)...about a month ago I had to brake really, really hard going from 40 to 0. Some idiot decided he wanted to turn and instead of getting into the turn lane he used the main road as his turn lane and came to a complete stop, no blinker. Nada. So I slammed on my brakes. Really slammed on them. I think this may have caused the beginnings of the strut failure? Weakened seal or weld joint? They are gas struts. Who knows? Just throwing out ideas right now. I also had an issue with the tie rod on the drivers side after the hard braking.

In addition to replacing both struts, I am also replacing both tie rods. I'm also rotating tires and doing an alignment. After the hard braking I had to readjust the drivers side tie rod - it had gotten loose even though it had a cotter pin through the nut. I'll see what they look like when I pull them tomorrow morning.

At least the weather has cooled a bit so its not too bad working in the garage again.

Mark
Old 10-06-2021, 09:36 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

You won’t believe it it is 10:30 in the morning and still 66° hooray hooray! They were even talking some rain between today Wednesday and Sunday, And believe it or not some snow in the mountains for a watershed.

Having that strut let go while you were in motion must’ve really scared the P waddle out of you as my mother used to say. You’re putting on the brakes to slow down and all of a sudden your car is fighting you and pulling you where it wants to go and not where you want to be for sure. It makes sense that for the mustang they would have some tighter shocks/struts to help you on the corners when your street racing lol as opposed to a softer strut for a passenger or SUV vehicle that is looking for a ride not performance. Yeah, I might’ve saved a picture of that strut and/or the strut itself and sent a letter to the manufacturer saying you may have a recall on your hands for this to let go and 48 months?? I hear you on the emergency braking and throwing a lot of stress to that/those struts but for goodness sake’s that’s what they’re made to do. You would not want your brakes to fail because you were going 60 miles an hour and had to lock up your brakes because a semi crashed up in front of you? Do you expect the mechanics on your vehicle to carry you through whatever event you incur.

I think you’re approaching it using good sense and judgment and not wanting to trust anything else that was stressed overly where you maybe can’t see it. I think you’re dead on as well considering it could be weak or out of alignment itself like the tie rod which would then start chewing up your tires and making a pull on the steering wheel. So replacing those tie rods I am all for that whatever the cost it’s only your life you know. Getting to the end of your letter……you saying you have cool weather in your garage to do the job, that’s a real plus for you I’m sure you had enough heat and humidity yourself.

I have been following the international space station. I get my emails in the morning and they tell me where to look how high at what degree and it’s pretty spectacular to see that light go across the sky and know there’s a host of people up there living in that light in the sky!.
We are hoping the rain holds off for Thursday because that’s the longest exposure to the ISS.

Glad everything is going swell for you overall, hope little Mr. G is doing well.

JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 10-06-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.