Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

AGM30 Gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 04:41 PM
jerryj39
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a AGM30 that they left one of the piston pin retainers out at the factory. The piston pin scored the cylinder and it lost compression. They did not have the parts to fix it so I asked for my money back. They told me by email to send it to their USA warehouse in San Jose, CA and they would refund my money. I sent it priority mail with tracking. When the PO tried to deliver it the place was closed and out of business. My engine is now at the San Jose post office for two weeks waiting for them to pick it up. They did not. Now not answering my emails. Now I don't have the engine and I don't think I will ever see a refund. The version 2 cylinders were machined wrong and never did run right. I think that may have put them out of business. BEWARE of AGM
Old 08-19-2015, 05:29 PM
gregandhollie

Originally Posted by corsaircrazy
I am not sure what is happening, but all the sources for the AGM 30cc Seem to have dried up. Can't find them on Ebay, AGM doesn't have any ... just a Coming Soon sign. Coming soon? they have been out for a couple of years. Anyone know what is going on?
I hate to join the naysayers because I really wanted this to work out, but I'd recommend spending a bit more money on a better engine. I bought one of these pretty early on. With the rent to own program, the thread here with Ping offering support, and the people that appeared to be happy with them I felt fairly comfortable buying one. I bought it for a P-40 project that was being worked on over the last couple years. This spring I finally got to the point of wiring up the ignition only to find I had no spark. I emailed them explaining that I knew the engine was out of warranty by something like six months but it didn't work coming out of the package. They set me up a coupon code for $5 off if I spent $100 on their website...

So I spent another $70-something on an ignition and got spark, but it's quite a bit weaker than I'm used to. After getting the plane to the point of doing engine runs I absolutely cannot get this thing to run. Combined through multiple attempts I've flipped the prop a solid hour's worth. I have fuel to the carb, I pulled it apart to make sure the reeds were in place and there no visible carb issues, the most I can get is a single pop if I put fuel into the carb, choke it, and it will pop on the third flip. Now I'm to the point where I've spent within $30 of buying a DLE in the first place, I'm reluctant to spend that much more on this plane to buy a second engine, and the AGM refuses to run. Lesson learned.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:33 AM
john.j.allen

AGM UK website says "product not found" for the AGM30, and "COMING SOON" for the 60 twin & 64cc single.

Looks like the AGM journey is over
Old 08-20-2015, 03:52 AM
steve400
My Feedback: (4)

Yup,,, Same thing that the owner has done numerous times before.... Sold junk cheap then closed up screwed everyone on their warrantees and startes a new alphabet engine company and does it all over again..... If you want more of his cheap stuff I think he is now DJ power!!!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:54 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This place ? Seems like they have gone off the radar as well.
http://www.djengines.com/product/class/?21.html
Old 08-20-2015, 09:05 AM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

I bought mine early on and had some issues. Mine was the one that was missing the reeds, and had some wonky run out. Ping (if I remember his name correctly) was quick to send the reeds and after seeing my post on the vibration issue quickly got in touch with me and ended up sending a new case/crank/piston. I put it on the back burner for a long time, but now its mounted to a Maxford Mentor G I put together for a fun fly bird and I am about to run it again for the first time since getting the new case. I did put a Bowman ring in it, so we will see if that helps the low power issue. I certainly not condoning the poor QC, but I have to admit the costumer service was different then most alphabet engine slingers. If the service has fallen off I would def not miss AGM, if this latest incantation works out, I say I broke even and have no complaints. If not, I'm not out much and will just have to follow the herd and stick with DLE. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose. Just curious if AGM was really trying to be different "this time" with the costumer service and hope that enough "decent enough" units made it past the QC ("quick check" in this case) to keep them going. I cant see something like this making someone a ton of money (unless they knocked off a DLE ship load!)
Ill let you know how the run goes.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 AM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got this response from AGM..."We are sorry to tell you that due to our AGM30cc engine is under updating now, and that might need about 1 month, so we cannot offer the AGM30cc engine for you now, here we do appreciate you wait for a few days for the new vision engine." Looks like the good news is they are updating the engine and should be back on the market soon.
CC
Old 08-22-2015, 04:52 PM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

With an 18x8 prop and not touching the needles from where they were set with the last case/crank, the engine (once I was able to get it to draw fuel) starts easily and seems to have decent transition. Dumping the throttle will sometimes kill it, but fine tuning should cure that, and that isn't normal throttle behavior anyway so I'm not terribly worried. Usually have to set a throttle curve to soften up that bottom and stretch out the middle to make the entire range useful anyway. After 1/4 of a tank it was idling at 1600 and getting just over 7k opened up. It started out at 2k and 6800 so it is improving with break in time. The true test will be when I get it up in the air, perhaps tomorrow, then we will know better. I attribute the improved power to the Bowman ring, but to be fair, this is a standard improvement to even DLE's and not specific to AGM. The vibration looks to be normal, but will have to check all the nuts and bolts after its first flight, then again after a few more to see whats up. As always I'm cautiously optimistic, but not feeling like the end of the world if it doesn't work out. With some time it can only either get better, or go Tango-Uniform!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Enrique-F3A

Hello AGMUSA,

Is the AGM 30 cc side exhaust only or it is also available as rear exhaust ?

Regards
Old 10-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone know if the "updated " engines are out yet, there are some sellers on ebay UK and I dont want to buy the old version
My first one has been running well so want another
Old 10-12-2015, 03:03 PM
SBP

Default AGM 30cc

Guess I've been lucky . I've had three of these engines and still have two of them, One went with a 30cc Yak I sold. I've not had any problems. Don't expect a reliable idle till you get a couple hours on the engine. I flew my low wing Pilot 3d trainer today. 18x8 prop Idles at 18-1900 and hits 8200 wide open. Gives that plane unlimited vertical. If I get a 30cc Pitts over the winter, I'll probably put an AGM in it if they are available.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Xairflyer

Anyone know what is the difference with the V2 I see some sellers are advertising a V2 version
Old 10-15-2015, 10:46 AM
timlan

I got a full refund from PayPal. I put a DLE cylinder on mine and it runs pretty good now. The chink I bought it from on Ebay wanted me to return the motor. I said as soon as you refund the cost of the DLE cylinder I will send it back. Never got a response so I got a free motor. Chinese *******s.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Batista_monster

[TABLE="class: device-width, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD="class: wrapText"]
How can i get this engine go faster?, i mean it doesnīt go more than 6200 rpm.
Iīve tryed many things but still low. it says 8500 and iīve never seen it go like that
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-01-2016, 09:40 AM
kerwin50

You got a bad cylinder. Put a DLE cylinder on it.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:52 AM
jerryj39

V2 engines have mis-machined cylinder ports. Low HP and rpm's.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 PM
kerwin50

Did you ever get your engine back Jerry? I bought an agm ign sensor from them on ebay
Old 03-02-2016, 05:18 AM
jerryj39

I never got my engine back. They gave me half of my money back ($100) after I threatened to give them bad ratings on the internet. They said the engine had been ran so 50% credit. What was I supposed to do, disassemble the engine before I ran it to see if both piston pin retainers were factory installed? (one was missing, making a groove in cylinder wall). So if you start it you void the warranty, what? (see post #351)

Last edited by jerryj39; 03-03-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Batista_monster

Now they told me to send a video with a propeller 18x8 and ask me to check the mixture. i allways check the mixture cause i donīt want to screw my engine, on top of that the misture is the same i use for my DLE 20CC and it has more RPM and power than this AGM30cc. someone on this forum mention somethig about change the cylinder. Some of you tryed that before? cause i donīt want to spend more money just to keep this engine. i think will be better change the engine and i spend just once. What you guys think?
Old 03-02-2016, 04:28 PM
kerwin50

put a DLE cylinder on it
Old 09-13-2016, 01:56 AM
Xairflyer

Someone mentioned the AGM30 has dried up and not available for sale, it is still very much available it is just now called a DLE30 all the "cheap" DLE30's being sold are fakes and in fact the exact same engine as the AGM30.
I have both, I bought a DLE30 thinking it was genuine but when I got it was an obvious fake so sent it back ordered another from different seller and was the same, I started to compare it to my AGM30 and stripped it completely only difference I could find was the AGM30 stamp changed to DLE30 even the tooling and casting marks were the same. everything down to packaging was identical.
There is no doubt the two engines I have came from same factory.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:08 AM
TXAG96

AGM seems to still be around.

http://www.agmhobby.com/list/gas-eng...s-c-16_17.html

Not sure I would buy one again, but my AGM30 has been fine since I got the updated cylinder. I have no idea how long it will last.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 PM
TVL
My Feedback: (5)

Is it safe to say that if you buy one of these now it would have the updated cylinder on it or are they still having trouble with them. These engines have been selling on Ebay for around $140 shipped. I'm editing this because I just won one of these on Ebay for $129.50 plus $12.99 shipping for a total of 142.49 I put my max bib at $5 over the starting bid that someone had all ready started never thinking it would hold up for 4 day's. I planned on doing some new research before the bid ended which I did and found out that some guy's think these are all right but more guy's are still saying to stay away from them. Well I guess I'm going to find out this spring.

Last edited by TVL; 01-23-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:53 AM
hawkerone
My Feedback: (11)

Still reading the badmouth on here about them (AGM30's) but I've still got at least a dozen of them and they're all still running just fine. Took one apart after a crash and the inside of the piston was stamped 'DLE30'. Have a couple of DLE30's I got from Tower that run just the same. Only complaint I have is the carb setup with the spring latching choke arrangement. I've converted a couple using choke shafts, ball and springs from other surplus carbs which makes them much nicer to rig. Other issue is that the welds on the stock and Pitts mufflers break after a while. If you're lucky you can have the pieces welded but my guy says they'll likely break again someplace else as the metal's just too thin. (had about five mufflers do this so far.)

Just got one of their new 55cc engines and it looks nice. Haven't installed it on a plane yet. Will report once I get it mounted and fired up.

Last edited by hawkerone; 02-23-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: forgot import part
Old 02-23-2017, 07:08 AM
john.j.allen

I just take off the spring and use a choke servo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.