Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 03:30 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

I'm at the point where I need to decide how to mount my canopy/hatch. I also don't see how it could be coming off . What was the aircraft attitude when the hatch came off ? I saw knife edge being mentioned . There actually is a lot of force on that relatively large hatch while knife edge and if the stock tabs have been removed the canopy could deform and shift enough to allow the hatch to come loose .

If planning to use the bolt set-up , why not just use 2 at the back ?? That should suffice .

Marc
Old 04-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Mike Parsons

I also just dont see it coming off unless the unit comes apart. I picked mine up again only using the Canopy and shook it just to be sure (it is still minus electronics). I just dont see it...
Dave,
you have more then enough latch sticking through. I say go with it as is.....

-Mike
Old 04-07-2005, 04:17 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Let me take another look at Maudib's Yak tonight... maybe I'll see something else he did to the canopy, cause that thing is rock solid. For some reason that "extra tab" comment is ringing a bell, but maybe I'm thinking of something else. I know he added a firewall-cowling tab, but not sure about any other tabs.

I suppose if the fuse flexed a whole lot in knife edge due to all stringer construction and little to no sidewall ply, it could pull the canopy away... but I can't imagine that thing flexes anywhere near that amount. I mean you're talking about the front of the turtle deck moving a quarter of an inch or more for the pin to come out of the hole! [X(]

Seems like it's got to be something going on with the front end of the canopy, excessive gap under the canopy edges, or something like that. You DO want to make sure that you position the hole in the back of the canopy so that the latch pin "pinches the canopy downward" onto the fuse. If the hole is too high, you have a sloppy fit to the fuse.

I'd ask Maudib if he's done anything special, but he's still in the hospital and not in any condition to discuss airplanes right now. I'll look at his Yak and DV and see if there's anything I'm missing here, but I doubt it. Something just doesn't seem right with what's happpening to Dr's hatch []

Tom
Old 04-07-2005, 04:22 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

I wasn't referring to fuselage deformation but canopy deformation in knifed edge if the tabs are not there to prevent lateral movement.

Marc
Old 04-07-2005, 05:23 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

I'm gonna try the small fuel tubing with the original set up..... I love the simplicity of the latch, but I've had to go find my canopy twice now.... had to make sure first time wasn't a fluke<g>.....

This engine SIPS fuel! I have the 16 oz tank... set timer for 13 minutes on third flight, and its still has atleast 1/3 left...

Mine is doing a few things I didn't expect.... Now mind you, I am a very average plane pilot.... but in trying to harrier, the wings are rocking like crazy.... Do you guys put any type of mix in the ailerons?? I know some people do that, I would prefer to learn the right way... And knife edge, it needs lots of elevator to keep it going straight.... I will double check lateral CG, anything else I should be considering?

Mike
Try the stuff I used. It is the 3/16" OD plastic antenna tube. The pin fits very tightly with that stuff.
Also the way you change the cg is dependant on whether you require up or down elevator in knifedge. If you need to apply down, you're nose heavy, up, tail heavy.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

Also the way you change the cg is dependant on whether you require up or down elevator in knifedge. If you need to apply down, you're nose heavy, up, tail heavy.
Really ? I have never heard that. I thought the height of the stab is what caused pitching up or down in KE, (compare a Cap, to an extra, yak, sukhoi, etc)
Old 04-07-2005, 05:31 PM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: NE0

I suppose if the fuse flexed a whole lot in knife edge due to all stringer construction and little to no sidewall ply, it could pull the canopy away... but I can't imagine that thing flexes anywhere near that amount. I mean you're talking about the front of the turtle deck moving a quarter of an inch or more for the pin to come out of the hole! [X(]

Tom
I would say here is where the problem lies. For those of you with the canopy latch, assemble the plane, put it on the ground, and attempt to twist the fuse at the vertical fin by rocking it back and forth and watch the canopy gap...you may be suprized.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:45 PM
ten pillows

Mike bring your plane down Saturday to the Ram flying field. We'll have Kyle, John and several other awesome 3d flyers there. I am sure they would be very helpful.

Mike
Old 04-07-2005, 06:23 PM
NE0

I wasn't referring to fuselage deformation but canopy deformation in knifed edge if the tabs are not there to prevent lateral movement.

Marc
Gotcha, yeah... you're right, the canopy flexes a lot!

I would say here is where the problem lies. For those of you with the canopy latch, assemble the plane, put it on the ground, and attempt to twist the fuse at the vertical fin by rocking it back and forth and watch the canopy gap...you may be suprized.
I don't think so. I just tried it and it twisting the tail didn't do anything at all up at the canopy. Actually, I couldn't twist the tail without applying so much torque that it would break something. I don't think this is what's happening.

I will admit, while the latch works great on the DV and Vision, the canopy on those planes is HALF the size and surface area than that of the Yak. Maybe that large sidewall of the canopy stretching all the way up to the cowling is catching too much air in knife edge?

I did try pressing in on the sides of the canopy walls to see what happens... it flexes in a lot. If you push in on the sides towards the front or back, it doesn't move, but pushing in on the sides at the center makes the bottom edge of the canopy lift slightly and move in towards the inside of the fuse a good bit. Is this doing it?... I dunno. I still don't think so, as that flexing is still present even if you use the bolts instead of the latch.

I suppose you could add dowel pins coming out of the bottom of the canopy down into holes in the top of the fuse deck. That would keep the sides from flexing in, but would be a bear to install and line them up. Maybe just a small block of wood glued to the top of the fuse deck, just inside the edges of the canopy? That would block the sides from flexing in.

This is a real puzzler, as I too was able to virtually lift the plane off the table by the canopy without a hint of coming loose. I'm going to have to really give this some thought since I haven't yet committed to any mount method yet.

It sure works great on the DV, but that canopy is WAY smaller and a good bit sturdier too... no flex on that puppy at all.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95344.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	255405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18090.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	255406  
Old 04-07-2005, 06:57 PM
NE0

OK, mounting my control horns in the rudder and have a question...

As you know, the slots for the horns are much wider than the horns (so you can manuever them into place). It seems to me that I read somewhere in this thread that you slide the horns toward the back of the slots? The manual says that the holes in the horns should be in line with the hinge joint... which can barely be accomplished even with the horns all the way to the front of the slot.

Everything I've ever understood about hingings says put the holes on the horn in line with the hinges, but... Just double-checkin' before I mix up the epoxy!

Sorry if I'm asking an old question... this thread is just too big to find stuff in anymore!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:00 PM
wgeffon

Everything I've ever understood about hingings says put the holes on the horn in line with the hinges, but... Just double-checkin' before I mix up the epoxy!
Thats correct.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:14 PM
NE0

Thought so... Thanks Wayne!

T
Old 04-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Absolut Yak

A slightly different subject than canopies.

I just acquired a very lightly used DA 50 ser#1624. Any idea where that is in the production numbers? I asked DA about needing the wrist pin mod and they said the problem was intermittent in the production run and to just run the engine until I heard it rattling at high speed. If I did, send it in for the fix. They also mentioned the quitting problem with the tail being lifted. Said tweak the lean needle just a hair.

Doug
Old 04-07-2005, 07:35 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: djccrn

Said tweak the lean needle just a hair.

Doug

Which one is the lean needle?

Old 04-07-2005, 07:38 PM
wgeffon

Neo,

Hows J.David doing?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:55 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Which one is the lean needle?
I was wondering that too, I guess if you turn them both in, then they are both lean needles !!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Absolut Yak

Alright, already! Adjust the IDLE needle leaner 1/16th or so turns. Does that make everyone happy, or are you going to LEAN on me? Aw shucks, that was corny. All ears for another one?

Doug
Old 04-07-2005, 08:07 PM
wgeffon

Doug,

Were just messing with you.

Mine had the problem until I got the carb update. I am not sure leaning the needles will solve the problem.
I flew mine a lot before the upgrade. It never completely died in the air. On the ground it did a few times.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:36 PM
NE0

Wayne,

At the risk of "going off topic"...

Maudib is having a real struggle. I haven't heard how he's doing today yet but this past week has been very bad. He was doing great for about two weeks then ran into a lot of problems over the weekend. He's had a fever of 107 degrees, trouble breathing, nausea, sores in his throat and mouth, kidneys and liver acting up some, and a very low hemoglobin count. His condition goes up and down every day. Everything is what they told us would happen and is the "normal" conditions you will experience with this type of transplant... except for the trouble breathing and the high temperature. That fever is stopping them from doing a lot of things they normally would do at this point to treat him.

His white blood cell count is finally starting to build back up, but the hemoglobin is not. That's how you carry your oxygen, so it's really sapping his energy. He's quite drugged up now and it's very difficult for him to talk, so I've stopped visiting for a short while to give him some rest. I check in with his family every day to get the latest.

I know Dave, and he is a real fighter and very strong. I have confidence that he will beat this thing, but he certainly needs our thoughts and prayers right now. Hopefully his fever has come down today and he's starting to build up again. It's a very risky point right now as he doesn't have any immune system, which is another reason I don't go see him too much. Lotsa sick people at work and I don't want to carry anything over to him. Thanks for asking... we all really miss him over here and I could sure use his "constructive criticism" working on my Yak right now!

I hope he doesn't mind me telling you guys all this, but I know he has a lot of friends here on RCU that are worried about him and he can't get on the laptop anymore to "update" you. []

Tom
Old 04-07-2005, 08:40 PM
wgeffon

Tom,

Thanks for the update.

My 6 year old niece is battling Leukemia right now.
She's doing ok but even the best case scenario is a horrible road to have to go down.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Absolut Yak

Wayne,

DA mentioned a carb update if there were problems. I'll run what I've got as is, then send it in if needed. The option was to buy a pristine used motor with less than 10 min run time, the DA muffler, and the prop jig for $600 or wait for two months and pay $600 for just the motor. By the way, what serial # is your DA? Before or after my #1624? I felt like Homer Simpson with the lean needle comment. Doh!

Doug
Old 04-07-2005, 09:08 PM
NE0

Wow Wayne, I had no idea... I'm really sorry to hear that. I didn't mean to bring you down, but I'm sure you've already heard of all the symptoms and complications before. A good friend of mine at work had his transplant 7 years ago at 53 years old. He said it's the worst thing he could ever imagine going through, but he is one of the healthiest people I know now. He's now 60 years old and doesn't look a day over 50. There is light at the end of that tunnel my friend, hang in there. I'll keep your daughter in my prayers as well.

Nuf said.

Tom
Old 04-07-2005, 09:14 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

My DA50 is # 2808
Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Yak Man
My Feedback: (1)

Canopy Latch Problem- Food for thought.

IMHO

Watch what happens when you run the engine up (full throttle) on the ground.
The fuselage fills with inside cabin pressure due to the opening in the firewall from the prop wash. My canopy will actually open at the rear or flex 1/8" to let the the air escape and that is with the original 4 screw system. Add another 35 to 40 mph air speed into the gap and it's pop the hatch time.

Shot a bullet hole in a jet and lose cabin pressue and it makes for a great movie.

"Lose the latch" or "Make a better mouse trap and eliminate inside cabin pressure".

This hypothesis is after a rough day and a cold six. If it works leave it alone, thanks Chris for the due dilegence.

Doug
Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
wgeffon

Wow Wayne, I had no idea... I'm really sorry to hear that. I didn't mean to bring you down,
Tom,

(Not my daughter. My Neice.)

You didnt bring me down.
She's a tough kid. She's handling it better than we are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.