Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

I'm not upset at all... I thought I was simply sharing a sentiment. This is a thread about building and flying an Extreme Flight Yak. Is it unreasonable to assume that people who like the plane so much and appreciate the story behind it and the man behind it might not appreciate repetetive "can't get one" comments.

As it were, if you read the thread, you would have found out that I did in fact already get one, built it and flew it many times. Only recently as we near the end of our Ohio flying season did I sell it to someone else who really wanted an EF Yak. I shared my build right along with everyone else, worked together to solve a couple issues with the first batch, then took it out and flew the daylights out of it. It really is an awesome flying plane. Mine was 15.25 lbs without wheel pants and once you fly one at that weight you'll be quite pleased. Can you imagine flying your KMP at 2.5 POUNDS lighter?

I have a SECOND one coming when the new manufacturer is setup and finishes with the "next generation" of EF Yak 54's. When Chris mentioned he intended on bringing to market a 107" version I was tickled. Still, I knew it would be quite some time before this made it to market. I sure wished it COULD be sooner, but it isn't, and I'm old enough that my "wants" won't hurt me.

So I purchased a QQ 102" Yak and it's a great looking build too.

I felt your initial response was more than warranted, and in post 6275 I stated that very thing.

I guess I find it insulting when you made comments like:

"I find it humorous because they're not selling at all because none are available and probably won't be for quite a while."

"How long are you willing to wait?"

Add to that the fact that you already have a KMP yak built and flying makes me think you've decided to join this thread just to toss around some negative comments.

Feel free to do as you wish, I just thought I was offering you some perspective as to how your posts were coming across. It would seem that now that you have the best flying plane you've ever flown at 17.75 lbs you'd be satisfied with it and let those who have chosen to wait on the EF Yak enjoy this thread without persistent negative comments. It does indeed sound like sour grapes.

Sorry if my opinion of that disturbs you.

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

Maudib, WOW...........COOL DOWN MAN. It's not good to get this upset over something so "petty."
Old 11-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Radio stuff can make a person crazy, I compare it to understanding a woman, and it seems like the more you look for problems, the more you will find.
I appreciate you trying to help..I re-installed everything and kept all the ignition wiring outside the fuse in the motor box as far as I could get it from the rx..did another range check in a different area and got 120' and no problems..I may just run the antenna out the top of the turtle deck but it looks crappy there..I had it under the fuse..hopefully when I start the engine and check Ill get the same..if I can get 90-100' Ill be happy and put the PCM in and forget it..
Old 11-14-2005, 02:12 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jrjohn, someone else asked me to post a picture of my throttle installation on my "YAK" on another thread titled "CALLING ALL TAURUS OWNERS" I have to go out to the shop and remove my cowl in order to do that, and it'll a little while. I'll post the picture on that site and I will give you small dissertation of my installation of the Taurus, engine.
Love to see it, Taurus makes some great engines that are only ounces heavier than the famed DA's How would you describe the performance of your Taurus on that Yak? If your plane was 2 pounds liter do you think a TS 42 would be enough?

john

Old 11-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Maudib

I'm a stickler too Jose for good, clean looks, but I've experienced enough diminished ranges due to antennas either against the fuse or inside that I always come out the top of the turtledeck and stretch to the fin.

After a while you don't think twice about it and the confidence that you are getting practically the best "reception" on your $2,000 plane you can get is worth the trade-off.

David
Old 11-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Josey Wales

Ok!! WHOO HOO!! Looks like Im good to go..just ranged with the engine on and I got to 75' before the engine started glitchin..raised the first thin section and went back to 110'..engine off range is between 90-110...
Old 11-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Prime_Time

Its *Extreme* not Extreem just thought I could add my 2 cents, not trying to be offensive.

Prime Time
Old 11-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

maudib, I'm glad your not upset with me I would never have posted on this thread had I known that my comments would upset you. Allow me again to repeat what I said in my other post and why I found it humororus. I won't go back to the post because it's just not worth the time. I said, "I found it humorous when I read the statement The
"EXTREAM,"Yak is the best selling plane on the market."
Why do I think it's funny.........? I think it's funny because, how is it possible for it to be the fastest selling plane on the market when in fact, it's not even on the market, and hasn't been for a long time. I too, waited a long time for Chris to get his problems with production streightened out but there comes a time when I, ME, MYSELF, get tired of waiting. That wasn't what I meant by my statement, "question is, How long are you willing to wait. I didn't imply at all that you or anyone else should quit waiting for your Extream Yak. My implication was that for me, I was not willing to wait any longer than I had. On the otherhand, you are still waiting and willing to wait even longer. I'm sure there are many others That have your same position you do. Fine, nothing wrong with that.

I'll also say I think your expectation of getting an Extream" Yak by the first quarter of next year, is a little optimistic. Remember, Chris will have to find a location, negotiate with a foreign government, build a factory, hire a labor force, get his shop up and running, build the product make arrangements for shipping,and then ship the product to this contry.......That's an awful lot to accomplished in just few months.

Finnaly, Is there anything wrong with me wanting something that fly's better than my KMP 17 1/2 lb Yak? I believe when you've been in this hobby long enough to understand the Ebb, and Flo in the popularity of different models, you may find that by the time Chris, is ready to re-introduce his Yak to the industry, We, the modeling public, will have moved on the the next great airplane on the horizon. In this hobby, every year something new takes the place of yesterdays "Fastest selling" airplane. I for one eagerly await the next "best selling plane. Maybe then I'll find something that fly better than my Yak.
You are right on one thing though, Chris is a fine person, and a stick to it kind of guy, a real assett to the hobby. after all... I've known Chris long befor he ever heard of a Yak. He lives just up the road from me.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:13 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

Ok!! WHOO HOO!! Looks like Im good to go..just ranged with the engine on and I got to 75' before the engine started glitchin..raised the first thin section and went back to 110'..engine off range is between 90-110...
I have to ask.
Are you doing your range check in your back yard????
You need to it were you will be flying the plane as you can get hit with all sorts of interfering RF signals in residential area.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Josey Wales

Yep! I always range check at the field before I fly but yes its in my yard..Thats what got me thinkin it may have been something in the area..The final results are the same as I had with my Edge and I have over 150 flights with no problems so Im pretty satisfied Ill be good..
Old 11-14-2005, 03:24 PM
jrjohn

Jose, my wife says "fly it and shut up". Don't get mad at me, thats what my wife said
Old 11-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Jose, my wife says "fly it and shut up". Don't get mad at me, thats what my wife said
Tell her my wife said the same thing!!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Maudib

I'm glad we're cool...

Chris already has a location and a factory, they just tooled up with 2 high end laser cutters and a honkin' CNC machine.
Chris will be leaving the US soon and going to the factory to train, oversee production and maintain quality control while the next batch of 50cc Yaks are being built.

His goal? To get on the plane back when the container of 50cc Yaks is loaded on the ship.

One of them is mine, all mine. The bad news is that it is likely that the list for this next shipment already exceeds a container full of planes. But you can rest assured that 50cc Yaks will be continually built until current demand is met.

We will see some WAY cool electrics coming pretty darn soon... how? Don't put all your eggs in one basket...

Then we are likely to see a whole sleu of surprises... you're right... there's always the NEXT great thing...

Do I know the exact dates? No... but I don't have to. I'm content in knowing what's to come as I have PLENTY to keep me busy for now anyway.

Really, no hard feelings... you have every right to feel discouraged... maybe next year EF will again get your juscies flowing, and this time with a plane to ship at your beckoning credit card. Live and let live eh?

J. David

maudib, I'm glad your not upset with me....

<snip>Chris will have to find a location, negotiate with a foreign government, build a factory, hire a labor force, get his shop up and running, build the product make arrangements for shipping,and then ship the product to this contry.......That's an awful lot to accomplished in just few months.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:49 PM
flat spin

We are a little further down the production line than that. The factory is built and ready for operation the laser cutting machines will arrive in December and the materials will all be dleviered for Chris's arrival in January at which point they expect to be upto about 75% of the required staff capacity. THings can still go wrong and probably will but when Chris arrives in Jan it will be to commence the build.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Josey,

I went through the range check blues , too. I am a radio engineer by trade. So I am not going to get into the mis-matched impedence talk of collapsed antennae , and all the theory that goes with it. It will be more boring than paint drying to read.

But, do this , and get past the fear. After I checked out my equipment, for dead center frquency and modulation, Tx and RX, I had a friend hold and stay by the running plane. I went for a walk , ALL THE WAY AROUND THE PARK, working the controls in a preset manner , with my friend to give a wave everytime I did it, and if it glitched or went into failsafe he was to wave his cap.

A 10 minute walk around and I was confident with it, priceless. It is a little excessive, but this plane is worth it. I will do this to mine on it's first day at the field. I did this to my KMP, my EF Trainer.

A radio TX is lot more easily checked for center freq, and modulation devation, than the RX. You need to look at the received waveform from the discriminator output and that is not easily done . A Test point is usually available , any good radio shop should be able to do it. But , BEWARE of the hack, who might just "range check" it the end user way. You can do that yourself. I check all my equipment, and a lot of others, sometimes I bring the analyzer to the filed and look for spurs or out of whack TX's by other modelers, and I always find someone whose radio is out of whack. You would be surprised how many will continue to use thier out of spec TX's even after being shown how out of whack they are......because it "Range Checks OK".

a 40 dollar check up is worth the cost and wait, IMO.

I am not going to comment on the same old baloney, my views are well known. I am on or near the top of the list for the 107" . You get a lot more than a great airplane when you buy from Chris. nuff said.

I better call and make sure I reserve 2 of those 107's.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Bob Laine

All valuable information.....Read bosshossv8's post again and Pay attention.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Josey Wales

Thanks Boss..I plan on sending in my TX to Futaba for a checkup..
Old 11-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Bob Laine

Maudib, This is the way it's supposed to be. Good informative information that is useful for forming one's own opinion about any air plane or engine. I can say this with all certainty, no one will build a better plane than Chris's factory will produce. Of course there will be those that will claim that His planes are too high. Well, since when have you been able to sell the best for less? Like you, I have a multitude of planes to choose from when I want to go flying. (see my models) on this site. Of all the planes I own that are flying now, and being built, none of them flys as well as the Lowly "REJECT" KMP Yak. After all, this is one of the same plane that Chris designed and rejected by only accepting a few of them. I can understand why he rejected them, because it's easy to see that my plane it's not up to the high standards that Chris demands. (cosmetically) But, inspite of it's short comings, I doubt that The "Extream YaK," would fly any better than my KMP. Now, let's just hope the next plane Chris puts a lot of sweat and design work into it's development, He will be able to reap a most of the sales profits from before all the other mfgs jump on the band wagon. But that's another issue, for another thread. I believe in compitition. Keeps everything in check.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Josey Wales

Just thought id add some pics to everyone elses..not much different except I kept the fuel dot inside..not sure if David did that..come to think of it I may have gotten the idea from him![8D] I tried to keep all the igniton wiring in the motor box away from the RX.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61075.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	354545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68213.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	354546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72329.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	354547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34760.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	354548  
Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Bob Laine

No comment.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:38 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Does that mean you have to remove the canopy to turn it on/off and refuel?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Josey Wales

Yep..installed the hatch latch and takes 3 seconds..I followed Neo's advice and there is no way thats comming off in flight..if it does there are bigger issues Ill be dealing with..besides if I dont like it I can always hollow out the foam but this is much easier..
Old 11-14-2005, 11:44 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

I believe when you've been in this hobby long enough to understand the Ebb, and Flo in the popularity of different models, you may find that by the time Chris, is ready to re-introduce his Yak to the industry, We, the modeling public, will have moved on the the next great airplane on the horizon.
Thats been thought of and everyone is going to droll over the new stuff Chris is going to produce.
He was ahead of the times with the Yak and will be again with ..........................
Old 11-15-2005, 12:29 AM
jrjohn

My fuel dot is on my cowl, very easy and clean setup. I used a 1"x1" piece of 1/32 thick ply to strengthen the area where the dot is.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Fuel dots...I like the 3W.

Ebb and flo of models....Wayne hit the nail on the head...everyone will be singing a different tune when Chris's container show's up at port.

Tx and Rxer should be checked by the factory...especially after you have changed crystals.

I like plugging the Li-ions DIRECTLY to the Reg, and using the Reg shutdown feature to shut it off. NO POWER though a SW...not even the beloved JR charge sw. Sorry , Wayne.

Now, I have one question that I don't know has been addressed here. I have refrained posting here , because I did not want to add to the sprawl of this thread, when I was NOT buildng or Flying an EF Yak. But I am getting close. So here goes....

While learning the DA ropes on my REJECT, something struck me as I was looking at that hole in the firewall. The Carb sucks air from the fuse , right?? What about the the little bits of crap that can get into your plane....can they be sucked into the carb and do a nasty on the engine??

I just for the heck of it, turned my plane upside down with the help of friend and shook it ...HARD. And a lot of dust and little particulate came out......destined for the carb , right? Or, not???

Does ANYONE run a filter or a screen on their carbs for this reason...and has anyone had the same thoughts??? Or do I ust have a dirty plane, and all of you have immaculate clean one?? (heading off the jokes).
Old 11-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Josey Wales

I like the madison dots..

I try and use an air compressor to blow as much junk out of the fuse as possible before starting the engine but you cant get everything out..Its funny what you drop in there..I turned my fuse over and washers, screws, even of the pins that goto my switch fell out![X(]

Have about 25 gallons thru my other da and havent had an issue of getting junk sucked in he carb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.