Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 06:18 PM
p3arljam
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I've used the adjustable mounts on an FA-91s. That['s narrower than the FA-100.

THEY COME IN ALL SIZES
I used the great planes 1.20 - 1.80 the length was right but the width was a little too big for the Saito 100.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:47 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I have been using SIG mounts for just about everything. Only exception are my two gas engines, the DLE20 has a metal Dubro mount and the FG-11 came with a mount. I use SIGEM003 for my 100. ​I noticed that they now carry other lines of mounts too. I need mounts for my DLE30, looks like they may have what I need.

The DLE 30's that I have had required stand offs, and they all came with them.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:27 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
The DLE 30's that I have had required stand offs, and they all came with them.
Mine is used without the standoffs. I could get them from TH, but shipping costs as much as the standoffs.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:00 PM
vertical grimmace

Mine is used without the standoffs. I could get them from TH, but shipping costs as much as the standoffs.

I guess I do not understand how you could mount a DLE 30 without stand offs? It is the only type of mounting lug cast into the case.

You can use a dowel and create your own stand offs, bored through, using long bolts and washers. The lineal grain of the dowel is plenty strong enough. Or you may be able to find an appropriate sized metal tubing at the hardware store. They all just need to be cut to the same size. The nice thing about the stock stand offs is they are threaded on each end, allowing for shorter bolts.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:59 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy new year you retrobates to quote someone earlier.

P3 i use good quality plastic beam mounts and buy them a little tight width wise and then trim them with a dremel to clear the crankcase curve,works neat.Some stainless cap heads and a nylock nut.Because saitos vibrate a bit around 3500 as you go thru the throttle while flying and especially on approach it pays to keep an eye on the bolts no matter what you use.

Thirty years ago i had a mate who owned a good gunshop over here.Underneath the shop by stairway was a long tunnel and all insulated.Did'nt matter what you fired down there it was all loud even 22's so kick on the shoulder was how you gauged it.A 12ga shotgun has about 30lbs free recoil at the shoulder so you know you've fired it.My mate and i had been discussing african game cartridges like the 460 rigby and 500 nitro express etc while having a few beers at the gunshop one night.He says i've got a 460 weatherby would you like to fire a couple of rounds down the tunnel? pulled out a round and let me handle it,it looked big.Long story short we went down there and i had earmuffs on and all the other stuff so i pushed two rounds down into the magazine and closed the bolt,got steady on the sandbags and slowly took up the slack,man!!! it shook all the dust off the side of the walls and i was blind.I never fired the second shot,i guess that's what makes those old shooters so legendary.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:37 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Pete, does "retrobate" mean we like older engines or older women?
Old 01-02-2016, 07:36 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I guess I do not understand how you could mount a DLE 30 without stand offs? It is the only type of mounting lug cast into the case.

You can use a dowel and create your own stand offs, bored through, using long bolts and washers. The lineal grain of the dowel is plenty strong enough. Or you may be able to find an appropriate sized metal tubing at the hardware store. They all just need to be cut to the same size. The nice thing about the stock stand offs is they are threaded on each end, allowing for shorter bolts.
You can't, thats why I need new ones. The original owner had cut them to fit his Cub, so they were useless. I was thinking of tapping thick walled aluminum tubing with one inside the other, but haven't gotten a round tuit yet. I was going to first use long bolts and T-nuts, but I couldn't find long enough bolts. Bolts that are long enough are too large in diameter.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:50 AM
vertical grimmace

You may check with Valley view RC and see if they have the stand offs. I am sure they would do you right on the shipping. I have purchased all of my DLE's from them, and they provide great service. Even sent one to them to have it repaired. The DLE stand offs are nice having the threads on both ends. Allows the use of a more practical sized bolt. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2016, 08:57 AM
acdii

Yeah, when I am ready to work on it, I plan to shop around for them. I may check with my LHS, they usually get things like this on special order for the same price, and not have to pay for shipping. I just have to take the time to go there as they are out of my way on any given day.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:04 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by p3arljam
I used the great planes 1.20 - 1.80 the length was right but the width was a little too big for the Saito 100.
Maybe try the .60-1.20 size?
Old 01-02-2016, 05:07 PM
SrTelemaster150

You can't, thats why I need new ones. The original owner had cut them to fit his Cub, so they were useless. I was thinking of tapping thick walled aluminum tubing with one inside the other, but haven't gotten a round tuit yet. I was going to first use long bolts and T-nuts, but I couldn't find long enough bolts. Bolts that are long enough are too large in diameter.

Here you go!

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 01-02-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Rudolph Hart

Old engines and women? what to complain about well lots actually retro is getting expensive to buy.Lot's of motorcycles are made to look that way nowadays and they cost heaps plus you got people doing up old rusty cast iron baths and re using them,the price they want for those would buy you a new digital washing machine which i did two years ago.The size of the instruction manual was daunting till i realized it was in three different languages and they all gave you the same stupid warnings like 'take the clothes off a baby first before washing them' but did'nt say whether they meant the baby or the clothes.Might as well have said 'never place your loaded 12ga shotgun in on the spin cycle' jiminy crickets.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2016, 05:26 AM
Hobbsy

I know, I would like to have an early BMW 500 motorcycle, they cost twice as much as when new.
I just picked up a used Saito white box .50, it should be here in a couple of days. I almost hope it needs bearings or something so I can work on it. I'll work on it anyway, giving it a full physical and a Fox Miracle plug.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito .50.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	2139455   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-1958-R50-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	2139456  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 01-03-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:35 PM
FNQFLYER

Ok my 2 bob's worth. Wooden dowels for stand offs, you have got to be joking, you are aren't you? A good machine shop should be able to make you what you want easily and quickly. Or find a mate with a lathe. On engine mounts, whats wrong with genuine Saito mounts?. I like the Great Planes adjustable ones as well. Old fart I still have some old Pricerite, Aeroflyte and Pilot mounts as well. Older women etc, well they are in my mind a better proposition. Re bikes, when I was in Malaysia in the 90's the "smart expats" discovered that there were heaps of 50's era english bikes around, really cheap. I believe the "english gentlemen / expats" returned something like 2 to 300 AJs, Nortons, BSA's Matchless and Manx bikes to the UK while I was there. Similar situation in Vietnam when I was there at the turn of the century except it was Citroen cars and 60's era american auto's.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:41 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
I need some help please-I have several Saito 180's -they are older but still run well. I dropped one of the engines off the workbench-I do not know what model it is and I believe the parts are discontinued -I need a new needle valve assembly and a push rod tube-I may be able to straighten the tube but have no gasket set or needle valve-any ideas on which one this is and where I may get parts for it-thanks in advance
Jim, I dropped a 2 stroke at work on to a linoleum floor. It broke the HS needle valve mounting arm and several fins off of the cylinder head. The needle valve was also bent.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:27 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
I know, I would like to have an early BMW 500 motorcycle, they cost twice as much as when new....
Hi Dave, I rode a 250cc version of the Earle's fork BMW a lot in the late 50's at university. Also 250 cc Puch, 165 cc Harley 2S, 165 cc Vespa, 500 cc AJS single. etc. Great fun. Always wanted a 850cc Norton Commando but never even rode one. Biggest bike I rode was a 1000 cc Harley Sportster. But it was of AMF era, and not reliable.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Hobbsy

That would be this guy.

I successfully mounted a Davis In Cowl muffler on my C&H Ignited Saito 1.50 today, I am going to give it a hard run tomorrow to see if it will stay put. Pictures tomorrow too.

Name:	R27%20(11).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	2139612  
Old 01-03-2016, 06:51 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Ok my 2 bob's worth. Wooden dowels for stand offs, you have got to be joking, you are aren't you? A good machine shop should be able to make you what you want easily and quickly. Or find a mate with a lathe. On engine mounts, whats wrong with genuine Saito mounts?. I like the Great Planes adjustable ones as well. Old fart I still have some old Pricerite, Aeroflyte and Pilot mounts as well. Older women etc, well they are in my mind a better proposition. Re bikes, when I was in Malaysia in the 90's the "smart expats" discovered that there were heaps of 50's era english bikes around, really cheap. I believe the "english gentlemen / expats" returned something like 2 to 300 AJs, Nortons, BSA's Matchless and Manx bikes to the UK while I was there. Similar situation in Vietnam when I was there at the turn of the century except it was Citroen cars and 60's era american auto's.

Maple dowels work great. I would not tap them, but run a hardened bolt through them. Plenty strong enough. For what a machinist would charge, you can get a new set of DLE stand offs for $20 + shipping.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:11 PM
the pope

Even the giant scale guys use wood dowels in their planes . Check out HK for their range eg. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._4pc_30mm.html
cheers the pope
Old 01-05-2016, 12:35 AM
Rudolph Hart

Dave that would make your old bmw 500 you wish for an r5? stroke 33 or 34 or was that the racing (rennsport) versions they built for the iom tt races? back in the thirties, rode plenty of my mates old airhead bm's but just could not get to grips with the german way of making motorcycles...rigid and boring come to mind but i think it was the cdi ignition that killed it for me.Just kidding but they were so boring to ride i missed the 'prince of darkness' lucas wiring etc from my old beezas.They kept you on your toes.Richard really knows his bikes hey?

The davis? in cowl 150 saito muffler i would really like to see.

So what happened after barry and how did you fix it?

Trev speaking of exporting or bringing back from a foreign country any vehicles or collectables that would take advantage of the retro era so you could make heaps of money and enjoy looking at the car/motorcyle like old split screen kombi's for instance (150 to 200 grand for a goody),or an old ducati yummy! are over as you know most of the horsetrading has been done years ago while we ride this nostalgia driven boom in old things.Theres nothing like good memories as you get older,in fact any time is good.

Who's going to wish that by the time they kark it they will be so old that YOU become the antique maybe some youngster will come along and restore YOU..
Old 01-05-2016, 03:35 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
I need some help please-I have several Saito 180's -they are older but still run well. I dropped one of the engines off the workbench-I do not know what model it is and I believe the parts are discontinued -I need a new needle valve assembly and a push rod tube-I may be able to straighten the tube but have no gasket set or needle valve-any ideas on which one this is and where I may get parts for it-thanks in advance
All parts except the case & cam housing will interchange between the "A" & "B" big block engines.

The "B" cylinder is a different casting but all critical dimension are the same.

I recently had a catastrophic failure that destroyed the case on an FA-180A engine & I am rebuilding it on a "B" block with the "B" cam housing. I am also using a "B" cylinder as I am using the existing "A" cylinder for another project.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 01-05-2016 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:39 AM
Hobbsy

Good Morning Dan, was it a "man made" catastrophe or a faulty component thing? Thanks, Dave
Old 01-05-2016, 03:43 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Dave that would make your old bmw 500 you wish for an r5? stroke 33 or 34 or was that the racing (rennsport) versions they built for the iom tt races? back in the thirties, rode plenty of my mates old airhead bm's but just could not get to grips with the german way of making motorcycles...rigid and boring come to mind but i think it was the cdi ignition that killed it for me.Just kidding but they were so boring to ride i missed the 'prince of darkness' lucas wiring etc from my old beezas.They kept you on your toes.Richard really knows his bikes hey?
I learned to wrench (out of necessity) on a '67 Thunderbolt.

BSA stands for Bass turd Seized Already!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:09 AM
Hobbsy

Here you go Pete, the roughed in version, the weak point of course is the Horizon elbow, notorious for breaking. I'll have to support it on the Ultra Stick Lite. It is adjustable in two planes.

For Tim, a Fox Miracle Plug in a Saito 1.50.

Name:	Saito 1.50 Exhaust.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2139809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 1.50 exhaust #2.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	2139810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 1.50 exhaust #3.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2139811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 1.50 exhaust #4.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2139812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sait 1.50 w Fox Miracle.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2139813  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 01-05-2016 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:22 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Here you go Pete, the roughed in version, the weak point of course is the Horizon elbow, notorious for breaking. I'll have to support it on the Ultra Stick Lite. It is adjustable in two planes.

For Tim, a Fox Miracle Plug in a Saito 1.50.
I turned a stock Saito elbow into a nearly 90* elbow with a hack saw, some acetylene welding & a bit of Dremel tool work. A little more work & it could exceed 90*. It didn't hurt performance one bit. The engine turned the 18x8 MAS prop at 8150 as pictured in the 2nd shot W/the modified elbow in place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.