Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

TMPRO EXTRA 260

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 AM
KC8QPU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMPRO EXTRA 260

Well to begin with I ordered this plane through Quest Hobbies in NJ. I would caution you against buying from them. They gladly took my money from paypal (imagine that), recieved an email with contact info. Well about 4 days went by and still didn't hear weather the plane was shipped or not. After numerous calls and emails with no response I finally decided to leave a message telling them If I did not hear from them by the end of the day I was going to file a dispute with paypal.[>:] Wouldn't you know it. I received an email a few hours later stating that they weren't sure why I was so mad. They had been trying to contact me and didn't know why I never recieved any email from them. Keep in mind they responded to my very first email I sent. What a load of crap. Anyways they also said the plane was shipped. Keep in mind this was August 14th when all this happened. Well 4 more buisness days passed and the plane showed up. Post marked August 14. Not very professional.
Now comes the crappy part. I have now started the assembly of the plane. Fuselage is pretty much finish with tail pieces in. Then I started working on the main wings. Holly crap. What a pile. I looked inside the wings, and on both wings I have numerous ribs that are broke and have been glued where the cracks are. Also have a few ribs that are missing pieces. Then I noticed pieces of balsa glued on the inside of the balsa sheeting. This is really a crappy ARF. If I did not need this plane for a team fun fly I would be shipping it back. But I will fly it for now and fix later. TMPro you guys really have built a crappy ARF. I would not recomend anyone buy this plane at all. I will post some pics later as I for got to bring them with me today.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: TMPRO EXTRA 260

Wow!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:33 PM
XJet
Banned

I don't think the TMPRO Extra 260 has a particularly good reputation anyway. Perhaps you should have done some searches and investigation first. Not many hard-core 3D fliers will touch them with a barge-pole. Even if you do get it flying you may be disappointed.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 PM
KC8QPU

I might be. I did read the extensive post. If you ask me though a lot of bs from people who didn't fly the plane at all. Then later in the posts people had good things to say about the plane that fly it. Even though most hard core 3d flyers would not touch the plane, 98 percent of other companies who make ARF's don't put out that kind of crappy quality.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: KC8QPU
I might be. I did read the extensive post. If you ask me though a lot of bs from people who didn't fly the plane at all. Then later in the posts people had good things to say about the plane that fly it.
That's why I said "hard-core 3D fliers"

There are an awful lot of people out there who claim to be 3D fliers but rarely get off the wing and who think that holding it vertical for 3-4 seconds at 200 feet is hovering.

Hell, there are folks who call the Tango a good 3D plane (gasp!)

I'm sure those folks would be bowled over by the Extra 260 and say that it's a great model - but if you want real 3D performance you need a good design, light wing-loading, no coupling and not SFGs, spats and other rubbish (IMHO) :-)

Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM
KC8QPU

True. However even some of the planes that don't fly the best still are better made ARF's than this. Just upset with the quality.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 AM
sean sutherland
My Feedback: (2)

I do not believe for a second your glue repaired plane came from the factory like that i have seen many a plane from the factory and recieved many satisfied customer emails so i really find it hard that you got such a bodgey plane the quality is fantastic and Xjet have you flown one with the CofG in the correct position seems like the only people that cant 3D it well need to get a few more hours up on somthing easier like the Katana or they are Pro Bros that are on the hate campaign, if you want to see the potential look at the video on my home page www.tmproaustralia.com
Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
budshobby

Bump! Great post about the quality of this airplane and about the people of TMPro!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:30 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Good info to know. I wonder if this plane has tube?[>:]
Old 08-28-2008, 08:22 AM
KC8QPU

well this last week I had to rip off the covering just to repair the ribs. Not sure what they use for wood or where they get it from. Definately some crappy balsa wood. Every single rib need to be patched and or strengthened. Also had to add carbon fiber for the wing anti rotation pins. Did not find any type of wood dowel or and other material like the manual said was included. Had to shave off about .175 off the end of the wing tube to allow the wings to be tight against the fuse. The screw they include to join the wings together is a joke. Well the big test will be tonight. After some much need improving and upgrading of the air frame I will finally fly it tonight.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:24 AM
KC8QPU

Well have about half dozen flights now. This is a good flying plane. I'm running a thunder tiger 46 11x5 prop. Have ds 821 servos all the way around and hitec hs 81 for throttle servo. One thing have have noticed is this plane is real real tail heavy. I have read the other extensive post and most of the others have had their planes nose heavy for some reason. Guess I'll try moving the battery toward the front of the wing and reciever.
However the plane does hover real nice, knife edge's nice also. Snap rolls are quick, blenders with to much work. So far I would say this is a nice flying plane, but again the build quality from the manufacturer sucks.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:49 AM
TMPro

womder how you came to conclusations the building is suck.
Many guys love the way its built and happy with the quality.

The old posts on RCU are not that helpfull as they were leads by group
of people who wanted to heart the sales of this bird since its TMPro brand.

Enjoy it as much as you can and take the best out of it :
http://www.topmodelproduction.com/mov/Extra260P46.wmv
Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 AM
KC8QPU

Sorry I can't speak for all your arf's. I just know that my arf I recieved was not a very good build. So far I have had about a dozen flights and most have not ended with a very good landing. At first I thought it was just me but after having others fly the plane found that the landing gear is a little soft and could very easily be moved a little forward. You are correct about the other thread, when the others say mount the engine as far back as possible. Now the engine is about as far forward as I can get it and seems to be much much better and not nearly as tail heavy.
I am sure you will do everything you can to stand up for this plane. I will do the same as long as it holds up for a little while. However again I really question a lot of things about this plane when mine was recieved with cracked and broke wing ribs, not to mention balsa that was glued on the inside of the balsa sheeting where you can clearly see it was cracked before. It really is a shame, I had a lot of guys interested in the plane when I got it and now most won't even think of buying one. I will say one thing you guys sure can do a nice job of covering and making the trim schemes.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM
KC8QPU

here are some of the pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12806.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1026392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38124.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1026393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72955.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1026394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91209.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1026395  
Old 09-08-2008, 10:56 AM
KC8QPU

Well finally getting is some real good flights with this plane. Seems to be somewhat fragile. By the way the other post all the guys are saying to mount the engine as far back as possible. Well I did that and holly crap was the plane way to tail heavy. Moved the motor as far forward as I could and had to add about 2 ounces of lead to get it to even be close to the correct cg. I now have consistant landings and the right amount of float rate for a nice fun fly plane. Also had to tweak or bend the landing gear a little forward as this bird seemed to want to tip over pretty easy.
All I can say is I just don't understand all the so called hard core 3d flyers. Everyone always wants to have the cg back farther. For what, just to hover? If you ask me if your that good of a pilot you can hover a plane with the correct cg.
One other thing with this plane, it is extremely wing heavy on the left side. This is of course the side with the battery. Also the side with the fuel tank. If I would build another one I would locate the battery to right side.
Much happier now with modifications.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 PM
XJet
Banned

All I can say is I just don't understand all the so called hard core 3d flyers. Everyone always wants to have the cg back farther. For what, just to hover? If you ask me if your that good of a pilot you can hover a plane with the correct cg.
There's a lot more to 3D than just hovering and a rearward CG helps with most maneuvers.

My profiles are trimmed so that they're slightly nose-heavy with a full tank but by the time the tank is empty they tend to climb when upright and inverted. That's the best compromise.

Nose-heavy 3D planes suck and are much harder to fly in 3D maneuvers although they fly much better on the wing with a forward CG but flying on the wing *isn't* 3D.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 PM
RoysterDW

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TMPro Extra 260P is one of 5 profiles we have in our hanger. I would recommend it for guys that "can fly" and not for a newbie to 3D. However as the saying goes its all in the setup, you can fly this like a average week-end sport flyer.

There are easier planes to hover than this. If quality is the debate here then I dont have anything to complain about. Covering could be better but look after it and seal the edges with LustreCoat clear and a brush and stays on longer.

Roll rate is one of the fastest we have, way better than the Bad Boy. I would agree that this product could (and should) be improved as far as CG. I had to cut the nose off and shove the 46AX right against the back rails plus add 30g of lead in the tail to get it where I wanted it. But hey thats a minor thing and the test to any RC company is to see if they listen to the customers to improve thier products.

I bought this plane as I liked the add saying it was good for IMAC practice, but having been in IMAC with gassers now for a year and flown with some of the best RC pilots in the world, you practice with the plane you compete with not with a little profile glow plane!

One thing for sure thought this is one fun plane to fly and it WILL 3D. Its all the pilot sometimes not always the plane. I try to 3D this as its harder than other profiles but I like the challenge. Does great rolling harriers as well.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 AM
TMPro

Cheers mate
Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM
KC8QPU

Hey "XJET" don't take any of this personal. I am just posting from experience at our feild. We have guys that can 3d the heck out of a plane. All they talk about is setup setup and setup. However I also know there are plenty of pilots out there that can fly the wings (or as you might like to state the propeller) off the plane with out constantly changing or modifying the factory recomended setups. This plane is advertised as both a 3d and fun fly/IMAC practice plane. So far this plane really doesn't seem to be the strongest competitor for either hard core 3d nor IMAC practice.
But with the correct setup any pilot can have a great time with this plane and pull off some nice 3d manuevers and any other aerobatic manuever they want to.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM
XJet
Banned

Hey "XJET" don't take any of this personal. I am just posting from experience at our feild. We have guys that can 3d the heck out of a plane. All they talk about is setup setup and setup. However I also know there are plenty of pilots out there that can fly the wings (or as you might like to state the propeller) off the plane with out constantly changing or modifying the factory recomended setups. This plane is advertised as both a 3d and fun fly/IMAC practice plane. So far this plane really doesn't seem to be the strongest competitor for either hard core 3d nor IMAC practice.
But with the correct setup any pilot can have a great time with this plane and pull off some nice 3d manuevers and any other aerobatic manuever they want to.
No offense taken I guess that I'm just a hardcore 3D flier who likes to fly models that make me look better than I really am (which means planes that are built from the ground-up for 3D).

And I've got nothing against TMPRo I *love* their Katana 46/V2. It's just that the 260 appears to be too much of a compromise (for me).

Old 09-22-2008, 01:43 PM
KC8QPU

Well finally made it through the team fun fly. Not bad for my first time every. Placed 6th indivdually and our team took 2nd. This plane was absolutely superb. Once it was locked into and nice comfy altitude I just poored the coals too it and straight as an arrow threw the double limbo polls and the camel back polls. Spot landed very good. However I will still stand by original statement as I would not recomend this as a plane for anyone to buy. Still not happy with the quality of this arf. But that is just my opinion.