Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

what brand nitro fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:30 PM
cannouu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what brand nitro fuel?

what is the best brand nitro fuel for me, 20%.
im going to have a .12 rear exhaust racing engine. A fresh tuned pipe, motor saver filter, lightweight flywheel etc. expensive stuff, so i want the fuel that would give it consistent tuning, temperatures, and lubrication, you know what i mean.

i heard o'donnels a good brand.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 PM
olkleaf

Default RE: what brand nitro fuel?

Gen 2 Its been good to my .12 i have been able to lean my engine more while keeping a good temp with gen2 then with other fuels
Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Chris_RC

O'Donnell is okay but very toxic. Nitrotane is good. Byron gen 2 race is IMO the best. Always get the race blends, and NOT the RTR crap!

On a side note, why did you get the motor savers air filter? They dont work that wel-they restrict air a bit, and it doesnt really extend the life of your air filter. If you want to get something like that for alot cheaper, go to walmart or some place like that and buy some women's stockings and use the closed-end section of it. Very cheap and works fine if thats what you want.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no expert on fuels but I've always had good luck with O'Donnells race fuel.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 PM
cannouu

i was looking at maybe using the same brand. using the hpi branded fuel made by wildcat fuels. these any good? maybe since its the same brand that made my engine it'll run just how its supposed to. also, any tips on extending engine life? i wanna last through atleast 5 gallons on this engine.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: cannouu

i was looking at maybe using the same brand. using the hpi branded fuel made by wildcat fuels. these any good? maybe since its the same brand that made my engine it'll run just how its supposed to. also, any tips on extending engine life? i wanna last through atleast 5 gallons on this engine.
That has alot of oil. See if you can find something with less oil. Too much oil is a bad thing.

Do the heat cycle method for breakin, start race tuning at tank 15, dont run lean or overtemp, and you should be just fine.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:44 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find it in your area try Maxy's Fuels. Awesome fuel I won't use anything else. I have run Byrons, BlueThunder, Cheap Traxxas, and now I run Maxy's. Cool temps and lots of power. Already have 2 gallons through my OS .21 TM and the motor has great pinch and compression. Also side note. I have run MotorSaver air filters on all my RC's and they work great. Never had an issue with them.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:03 AM
nitroade

O'Donnell's race blend for me, never had any issues running it.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:10 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

trinity platinum, ive had good luck with it so far ... wanting some gen2 but the lhs cant/wont get it :/
Old 10-10-2009, 08:47 AM
rendezvous944
Banned

What's too much oi???. 18% is good. 12% is bad! Nothing wrong with widcat fuel. Stay in between and you should be fine.
ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

That has alot of oil. See if you can find something with less oil. Too much oil is a bad thing.

Do the heat cycle method for breakin, start race tuning at tank 15, dont run lean or overtemp, and you should be just fine.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: rendezvous944

What's too much oi???. 18% is good. 12% is bad! Nothing wrong with widcat fuel. Stay in between and you should be fine.

Are you serious? Nitro engines need 8-12% oil to run properly. 18% oil sucks because it is a RTR fuel. RTR fuels have cheap synthetic oil where if you get your engine hot the oil will burn meaning that there wont be any oil while in race fuels castor oil doesnt burn until a temperature never reachable by an RC engine. It is over 500F I think.

Alot of synthetic oil will cause extremely high temps, horrible performance, harder tuning, less engine life, and will just be fusterating to work with. You want fuels that have a high castor blend like Byron which has good protection if you run your engine over 350+ degrees. Trinity Platinum is also good fuel like MCSRacing said. I tried the 20% and I liked it. That has 8% oil with high castor.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:36 PM
quietnas1

Maxys Fuel has 10% Castor Synthetic blend. Engine runs great no dyes in it so the fuel is clear and has tons of power. I agree. Too high a percentage in oit will give poor performance. Why do you think so many do not like the Traxxas fuel. High oil percantage and the engine runs super hot. Not to mention to much oil will also cause the one way bearing to slip. I found Maxys fuel on AMAINHOBBIES.com but they want some crazy prices. $82.00 for a gallon of 20%. I get 30% from my LHS for $32.00.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:33 PM
ugglasdav

try find some sort of 16% works well with most .12 engines
Old 10-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

Maxys Fuel has 10% Castor Synthetic blend. Engine runs great no dyes in it so the fuel is clear and has tons of power. I agree. Too high a percentage in oit will give poor performance. Why do you think so many do not like the Traxxas fuel. High oil percantage and the engine runs super hot. Not to mention to much oil will also cause the one way bearing to slip. I found Maxys fuel on AMAINHOBBIES.com but they want some crazy prices. $82.00 for a gallon of 20%. I get 30% from my LHS for $32.00.
LOL, It is $82 for 4 gallons. That comes to about $20.50 a gallon. .12 engines can run up to 25%, better to stay at 20% though. 16% would cause the engien to run too hot because nitro burns cool, oil burns hot.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:48 PM
cannouu

this is the hpi thats made fom wilcat fuels. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTT04&P=7. it says 14% synthetic/castor blend. 99.9% pure nitromethane.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:51 PM
cannouu

oh yea. im not so much into performance. as long as i can get it over 50mph. im willing to richen the fuel to make the engine last longer. also wanna do perfect engine break in. Im doing everything to extend the life, like sealing the engine (non-ps), fuel... Oh and what lubrication is good to put on the piston oil ring whenever i rebuild, silicone shock oil? i tried it and it gave me better compression because of the thickness.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Chris_RC

oh yea. im not so much into performance. as long as i can get it over 50mph. im willing to richen the fuel to make the engine last longer. also wanna do perfect engine break in. Im doing everything to extend the life, like sealing the engine (non-ps), fuel... Oh and what lubrication is good to put on the piston oil ring whenever i rebuild, silicone shock oil? i tried it and it gave me better compression because of the thickness.
50mph is extremely fast. 40mph is very fast. You should get 7 gallons if you do the heat cycle break in method, and dont run the engine lean or overtemp. You dont need to put any oil in the engine when you rebuild, maybe just a couple drops of after run oil but thats it. DONT use silicone oil in the engine!

The oil seems a bit high with the HPI fuel. What other fuel does your LHS stock? Or are you willing to buy online? If so, get the Byron 20% race from amainhobbies.com.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only fuel I ever had trouble with was Sidewinder Backyard Basher. Engines run hot and are touchy to tune. I do belive it is from too much oil. Sidewinder Race or Blue Thunder Sport seem fine to me, alhtough I have no idea how they compare to other fuels. Most are probably fine.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

LOL, It is $82 for 4 gallons. That comes to about $20.50 a gallon. .12 engines can run up to 25%, better to stay at 20% though. 16% would cause the engien to run too hot because nitro burns cool, oil burns hot.
Oh for 4 gallons. Oops I didn't notice lol. Hmmm I wonder how much the HazMad fees are. That may be a better deal than my LHS. And yes agreed 16% is too high an oil content and will actualy shorten the engine life from running too hot.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 PM
quietnas1

oh yea. im not so much into performance. as long as i can get it over 50mph. im willing to richen the fuel to make the engine last longer. also wanna do perfect engine break in. Im doing everything to extend the life, like sealing the engine (non-ps), fuel... Oh and what lubrication is good to put on the piston oil ring whenever i rebuild, silicone shock oil? i tried it and it gave me better compression because of the thickness.
I got to agree with Chris on this one you never ever put shock oil in the engine. The engine has no piston rings like a 4 cycle engine in a car. After every run you should put some after run oil in the engine. I personaly like WD40. When you rebuild then a few drops of after run oil for sure. Nothing else in the motor please!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 AM
rendezvous944
Banned

16%-18% oil is fine for backyaqrd bashing. The right brand fuel makes all the difference. I have use wildcat 18% oil no problems. engine runs cooler than Omega fuel. Less oil is for racing. You will spend more time rebuilding with less oil.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: rendezvous944

16%-18% oil is fine for backyaqrd bashing. The right brand fuel makes all the difference. I have use wildcat 18% oil no problems. engine runs cooler than Omega fuel. Less oil is for racing. You will spend more time rebuilding with less oil.
Less oil is for better engine protection because of the castor oil and lower engine temps. How would the backyard basher not want that? Actually you will spend more tiem rebuilding with 18% synthetic oil, especially Blue Thunder which has alot of synthetic oil and everybodies engines runs like crap with that fuel!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:08 PM
quietnas1

Look good example. I am a basher first of all. When I had my 3.3 in my Jato I was using Traxxas fuel 33%. It has a high oil content. My engine used to run mega hot even in a rich setting. If I leaned just a bit smoke would steam up from the head. I started using Maxys 30% which has a lower oil content and my 3.3 had a lot more power and ran a lot cooler on a rich setting than with the Traxxas fuel. Also I am able to lean my engine out a bit for all out speed and still not over heat. This isn't to promote the fuel I use but to show you that a fuel with 8% to 12% oil content is ideal for racers and bashers alike and improves engine life.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:15 PM
RC CRAWLER

personally i would go with byron!
Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 PM
DaveG55

As has been said, in nitro engines too much oil will raise, not lower, the operating temps of the engine. It has to do with several factors, including the make up of the oil. But a lot of the increased heat is from the fact that residule oil retains heat and does not disapate it well. If you have soo much oil that it is not mostly burnt off in the combustion of the fuel then the remaining oil will retain the heat and cause the engine to run hotter.
Counterintuitive I know, but true none-the-less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.