Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you will have to get a cable and change the mounting orientation in the software.. its easy to do.

Bottom line. Make sure it programs the right way when set up and disturbed..

The way do make it easy:

Put a servo extension in the bind port of the cortex.
extend it outside the plane for now
put the plane together on its wheels
bind it per the instructions after setting up the orientation
if its wrong, then pull the bind plug, plug in the cord, and try again to set the orientation

Redo binding procedure.. you will understand it and get it.
you don't need to see the lights, the controls bump twice to give the same function.
It will take a little learning but you will get it..
There is a reset function int he software so don't fear messing it up.

Last edited by gooseF22; 03-10-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Mi-25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me what the difference between JB1 and JB2 - seen under Displayed Telemetry? I select JETIBOX...and then under the double column there is JB1 and JB2...
thanks,
Old 05-29-2016, 07:47 PM
twhite6728
My Feedback: (20)

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Wayne there are 5 inputs/outputs on the cortex and each can be used to stabilize any surface
so you can have two Seperate elevator input to the the cortex and then to separate elevators allowing you to reverse one as needed in the Tx. Then when you do the learning phase of the setup the gyro learns your radio setup.
I have a flying jet that I installed cortex in, rudder, steering, elevator are correcting surfaces wrong way, but ailerons is being corrected properly. It is a intro boomerang. One elevator, two rudders into one channel. Reversing channel in DX-18 causes wrong deflection of control surfaces. If during setting up cortex, I pull elevator and then push, and left rudder then right rudder, it corrects it in proper direct, but that is not the order the manual says to use?? Any ideas, is changing order during set up alright to gain right direction?

Last edited by twhite6728; 05-29-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

twhite6728,

If I'm understanding you correctly, after programming your Cortex per the "normal" sequence (right aileron then left, down elevator then up, right rudder then left, then remove jumper plug), the gyro applies corrections in the correct direction for ailerons, but in the incorrect direction for elevator, rudder, and steering. Please confirm that I have understood your post correctly.

Is the gyro installed in the "default" orientation? This is upright (Demon head up towards top of plane, connector ports closest to the front of the plane. Has the gyro been set (using the computer) to the default orientation or another orientation?

I have previously installed a Cortex in a plane where it was not practical to orient the Cortex per the default orientation. This is common in a WWII fighter like a P-51 where the wing is bolted to the underside of the fuselage. Typically the builder would install the servos and Cortex inverted (output arm of servos and Demon logo facing the bottom of the fuselage for easier installation and maintenance. This is perfectly acceptable, but you have to tell the gyro that it isn't installed per the default orientation. Telling the gyro can be done two ways:
1) Alter the programming sequence - per the orientation in my example, you would do right aileron then left, up elevator then down, and left rudder then right; or
2) Connect the gyro to a computer and select the orientation buttons for the orientation you've installed the gyro.

Personally, I always do 2) since it only has to be done once. That way if I ever have to re-teach the gyro (such as at the field) I always follow the normal sequence and don't have to remember which sequence to reverse.

As always, after teaching, check that the surfaces move the correct way in response to any disturbances. I do this by temporarily turning the gain to -100% (which increases the deflection to make it easier to see. Then I quickly raise the right wingtip and check if the right aileron initially moves upwards, then raise the left wingtip (left aileron initially goes upward), then quickly raise the tail (elevator initially moves upward), then push the tail to the right (rudder initially moves to the right).

If you are continuing to have a problem, let's discuss it over the phone as that will likely get things sorted out faster. If you want to talk, PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Regards,

Jim
Old 05-29-2016, 09:24 PM
twhite6728

you are understanding me correct. the gyro is in the default position though, plugs facing forward and not inverted. I have never plugged into pc and would have to buy a cable if changing setup to right aileron, left aileron, up elevator, down elevator, left rudder, right rudder, is Not allowed This sequence has given me the proper gyro correction. I am just not sure why with the gyro in proper orientation, and following setup per instructions only Ailerons are corrected in proper direction.

Last edited by twhite6728; 05-29-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:29 PM
Mi-25

Originally Posted by twhite6728
I have a flying jet that I installed cortex in, rudder, steering, elevator are correcting surfaces wrong way, but ailerons is being corrected properly. It is a intro boomerang. One elevator, two rudders into one channel. Reversing channel in DX-18 causes wrong deflection of control surfaces. If during setting up cortex, I pull elevator and then push, and left rudder then right rudder, it corrects it in proper direct, but that is not the order the manual says to use?? Any ideas, is changing order during set up alright to gain right direction?
Did you install your Cortex with the correct orientation as per the instructions?? If you have installed it differently you will get differing control surface movements - you need to program any different mounting orientation using the Cortex PC Software.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:19 AM
twhite6728

Installing is per instruction. Orientation has not changed l, it is face up, with plugs to front.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:22 AM
twhite6728

you are understanding me correct. the gyro is in the default position though, plugs facing forward and not inverted. I have never plugged into pc and would have to buy a cable if changing setup to right aileron, left aileron, up elevator, down elevator, left rudder, right rudder, is Not allowed This sequence has given me the proper gyro correction. I am just not sure why with the gyro in proper orientation, and following setup per instructions only Ailerons are corrected in proper direction.
With cortex in correct position per instructions.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:32 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a photo of your installation?

Did you buy it new? Is it possible that someone else has connected a USB cable to it and changed the orientation setting?

How are you checking that the Cortex is responding?
Old 05-30-2016, 06:40 AM
twhite6728

Originally Posted by siclick33
Do you have a photo of your installation?

Did you buy it new? Is it possible that someone else has connected a USB cable to it and changed the orientation setting?

How are you checking that the Cortex is responding?
The gyro was purchased new, and I am moving tail to the right , looking for correction to the right (rudder), moving tail up looking for correction up (elevator), and lifting left wing looking for the left wing to move up (ailerons).
The only surfaces that were correcting in the wrong direction was rudder, elevator, and steering.

Last edited by twhite6728; 05-30-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:42 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

The setup with the plug installed can be confusing. You may have to do a couple of times to see that you move the sticks the proper way each time.
When you get done the surfaces in normal mode. If my memory is correct is orange with the gain turned way. Will move the direction you move the wing, Wing up and aleron moves up. lift the tail and elevator moves up or you can raise the nose and the elevator will move to correct.

The rudders will correct the nose heading.

It should matter if you have 2 rudders or one because in the setup the Cortex reads the input signal each time you move the sticks for the correct settings

Here are the instruction that I am speaking of. If you notice you move the stick after every single twitch. I got the rudder wrong a couple of times before I got it right.

• •
(switching on) → Leave the sticks neutral, wait for signal
• •
(2x)
→ Now hold aileron at right-hand stop
• (1x)
→ Now hold aileron at left-hand stop
• • (2x)
Release aileron
→ Now „ress“ elevator on stop and hold
• (1x)
→ Now „ull“ elevator on stop and hold
• • (2x)
Release elevator
→ Now hold rudder on right-hand stop
• (1x)
→ Now hold rudder on left-hand stop
• • •
(Servos 3x) •••••••• (LED flashes green

Pull the setup plug and check directions

Old 05-30-2016, 08:46 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

I highly recommend you make what ever channel you are using for the gain is lower the travel to 0 so the gyro can't go into heading mode.

In the setup on the radio you will have center travel is off and one way is heading mode and the other direction is normal mode. The heading mode is only used for hanging on the prop in 3D planes.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:48 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

There are only two things that will cause what you are discribing.
Either the mounting orientation is not set correctly in the system or you are moving the TX sticks the wrong way when you are doing the stick programming sequence. Nothing else will cause this behavior. Also, please do not modify the published stick programming sequence. It must be; right ail, left ail, down elev, up elev, right rud, left rudder. Remember to remove the programming jumper before you shut off power. If the above does not result in correct movement then the mounting orientation is not set correctly. Please do not fly until you have this figured out.

Last edited by F1 Rocket; 05-30-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:48 AM
twhite6728

Originally Posted by rcjets_63
twhite6728,

If I'm understanding you correctly, after programming your Cortex per the "normal" sequence (right aileron then left, down elevator then up, right rudder then left, then remove jumper plug), the gyro applies corrections in the correct direction for ailerons, but in the incorrect direction for elevator, rudder, and steering. Please confirm that I have understood your post correctly.

Is the gyro installed in the "default" orientation? This is upright (Demon head up towards top of plane, connector ports closest to the front of the plane. Has the gyro been set (using the computer) to the default orientation or another orientation?

I have previously installed a Cortex in a plane where it was not practical to orient the Cortex per the default orientation. This is common in a WWII fighter like a P-51 where the wing is bolted to the underside of the fuselage. Typically the builder would install the servos and Cortex inverted (output arm of servos and Demon logo facing the bottom of the fuselage for easier installation and maintenance. This is perfectly acceptable, but you have to tell the gyro that it isn't installed per the default orientation. Telling the gyro can be done two ways:
1) Alter the programming sequence - per the orientation in my example, you would do right aileron then left, up elevator then down, and left rudder then right; or
2) Connect the gyro to a computer and select the orientation buttons for the orientation you've installed the gyro.

Personally, I always do 2) since it only has to be done once. That way if I ever have to re-teach the gyro (such as at the field) I always follow the normal sequence and don't have to remember which sequence to reverse.

As always, after teaching, check that the surfaces move the correct way in response to any disturbances. I do this by temporarily turning the gain to -100% (which increases the deflection to make it easier to see. Then I quickly raise the right wingtip and check if the right aileron initially moves upwards, then raise the left wingtip (left aileron initially goes upward), then quickly raise the tail (elevator initially moves upward), then push the tail to the right (rudder initially moves to the right).

If you are continuing to have a problem, let's discuss it over the phone as that will likely get things sorted out faster. If you want to talk, PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Regards,

Jim
Jim,
Thank you for the phone call. I now feel comfortable enough to put the jet in the air, and I just ordered the USB cable to be able to explore the settings. Strange that in the default set and installation the correction were incorrect, but at least I know as long as the individual surfaces are being corrected in the proper manner then I am all good. Test flight hopefully this evening. will post results
Old 05-30-2016, 08:59 AM
twhite6728

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
Either the mounting orientation is not set correctly in the system or you are moving the TX sticks the wrong way when you are doing the stick programming sequence. Nothing else will cause this behavior. Also, please do not modify the published stick programming sequence. It must be; right ail, left ail, down elev, up elev, right rud, left rudder. Remember to remove the programming jumper before you shut off power. If the above does not result in correct movement then the mounting orientation is not set correctly. Please do not fly until you have this figured out.
I can assure you that something is causing this. the cortex is new and face up with plugs to the front, and with described setup the rudder and the elevator and nose steering is not correcting properly.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 AM
twhite6728

Top of picture is front of jet. Hard to see it there but correct installation direction
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	826
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2165058  
Old 05-30-2016, 09:11 AM
twhite6728

Top of picture is front of jet. Hard to see it there but correct installation direction
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
if you would like I can take a video of me using published sequence and show the incorrect surface correction, and nothing has been changed via PC as I don't have the USB cable for the Cortex.

Last edited by twhite6728; 05-30-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:11 AM
twhite6728

[QUOTE=twhite6728;12219406]Jim,
Thank you for the phone call. I now feel comfortable enough to put the jet in the air, and I just ordered the USB cable to be able to explore the settings. Strange that in the default set and installation the correction were incorrect, but at least I know as long as the individual surfaces are being corrected in the proper manner then I am all good. Test flight hopefully this evening. will post results[/QUOTE

jim here is link to setup video https://www.facebook.com/theodore.wh...98521583515349
Old 05-30-2016, 11:46 AM
rcjets_63

Hi Ted,

I'm glad you posted the video showing the lights and the transmitter. The video shows that the programming is done out of sequence (you've started too soon). You have to wait until you get the double green pulse to put in the first stick movement (right aileron). The video shows the red initialize pulse (21 seconds) and you put in right aileron (24 seconds), then the gyro gives the green double pulse (25 seconds) but you then put in left aileron since you started too early. The rest of the programming sequence continues, but one step ahead.

Try it again, but wait for the green double pulse before you start the stick movements and you should be fine. Give me a call if you need some more help.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by rcjets_63; 05-30-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:03 PM
gooseF22

I use the bumps instead of the lights.. when it bumps twice, then begin the aileron movement on stick....
Old 05-30-2016, 12:15 PM
rcjets_63

Hey Goose, good point, since you don't have to be looking at the lights (the bumps & light pulses happen at the same time).

Jim
Old 05-30-2016, 01:01 PM
twhite6728

Originally Posted by rcjets_63
Hi Ted,

I'm glad you posted the video showing the lights and the transmitter. The video shows that the programming is done out of sequence (you've started too soon). You have to wait until you get the double green pulse to put in the first stick movement (right aileron). The video shows the red initialize pulse (21 seconds) and you put in right aileron (24 seconds), then the gyro gives the green double pulse (25 seconds) but you then put in left aileron since you started too early. The rest of the programming sequence continues, but one step ahead.

Try it again, but wait for the green double pulse before you start the stick movements and you should be fine. Give me a call if you need some more help.

Regards,

Jim
The help was great and the cortex works properly when done correctly. Thank you everyone that tried to lend a hand.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:40 AM
gooseF22

Installation in a new bird, maiden...etc..

I went to the field the other day with my new Bach 1/4 scale bird.. ITs set up with IMAC style, I have been practicing aerobatics to improve my jet flying, but it also has med/hi rate for play. I set up 3 flight modes with three gain settings.. I spent a lot of time getting the plane square..etc.. so I go to fly it, with some basic settings in the Gyro 30%, 45% and 55% for Low/med/hi rates. What I did was use the trim function for Gain to add 20% or subtract, using P8 knob in the middle position.. then at the field, showed the setup process to the members

I did it this way to show the club guys that it works out of the box because folks in the club think a gyro is too hard to setup and can't justify the expense..yada..yada.... I set up a Kill gyro switch with a -100% gain to gain switch and showed them it turns it red.

I took off with it off, did 2 passes with auto trim.. done trimming.. then turned on gyro.. Pulled up for a hammerhead with a cross wind and the plane tracked straight up, rotated with little opposite aileron, tracked hands off on the downline.. The next time I let go of the sticks going on the upline and it tracked money.. Inverted... money... 45 up money, inverted up money, knife edge, no coupling.. Hover? in low rates.. pretty good.. Hover in med rates.. easy.. Hover in high rates.. hands off except throttle.

Then turned off the gyro with no mixes and did the same and showed the difference.. there was about 20 club members out.. needless to say they were pretty impressed..the whole point was to see a setup start to finish and stop the whining about setting up this gyro in a new plane

Bottom line.. ONE trim flight.. ONE.. done.. You cannot get any easier than that for a full 3 axis setup for most planes right out of the box.. by the way, its basically identical in setup to whats in my jets.. ding ding!! flaps up, flaps med, flaps down..

the only time we have had to mess with the software is in a delta aircraft where it needed all the rudder assistance it could get but not as much pitch/roll assistance..

Last edited by gooseF22; 06-07-2016 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:43 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Installation in a new bird, maiden...etc..

I went to the field the other day with my new Bach 1/4 scale bird.. ITs set up with IMAC style, I have been practicing aerobatics to improve my jet flying, but it also has med/hi rate for play. I set up 3 flight modes with three gain settings.. I spent a lot of time getting the plane square..etc.. so I go to fly it, with some basic settings in the Gyro 30%, 45% and 55% for Low/med/hi rates. What I did was use the trim function for Gain to add 20% or subtract, using P8 knob in the middle position.. then at the field, showed the setup process to the members

I did it this way to show the club guys that it works out of the box because folks in the club think a gyro is too hard to setup and can't justify the expense..yada..yada.... I set up a Kill gyro switch with a -100% gain to gain switch and showed them it turns it red.

I took off with it off, did 2 passes with auto trim.. done trimming.. then turned on gyro.. Pulled up for a hammerhead with a cross wind and the plane tracked straight up, rotated with little opposite aileron, tracked hands off on the downline.. The next time I let go of the sticks going on the upline and it tracked money.. Inverted... money... 45 up money, inverted up money, knife edge, no coupling.. Hover? in low rates.. pretty good.. Hover in med rates.. easy.. Hover in high rates.. hands off except throttle.

Then turned off the gyro with no mixes and did the same and showed the difference.. there was about 20 club members out.. needless to say they were pretty impressed..the whole point was to see a setup start to finish and stop the whining about setting up this gyro in a new plane

Bottom line.. ONE trim flight.. ONE.. done.. You cannot get any easier than that for a full 3 axis setup for most planes right out of the box.. by the way, its basically identical in setup to whats in my jets.. ding ding!! flaps up, flaps med, flaps down..

the only time we have had to mess with the software is in a delta aircraft where it needed all the rudder assistance it could get but not as much pitch/roll assistance..
Goose,

Since you are obviously very familiar with the Cortex, could you perhaps shed some light on tuning performance with a PC ? I have a Cortex, which has always worked very well with the basic setup for scale type flying or for precision aerobatics. However, I could never seems to get it so I was happy with it for extreme aerobatics. For example, when I needed to corner the sticks to get the airplane to transition from high speed vertical flight immediately into a flat spin (pop top) I could never get the Cortex to stabilize the plane well without feeling it fight me during these extreme maneuvers. I played quite a bit with the various settings for quite a while without much success but I suspect this was because I was never able to find a clear description of each control and how to adjust it to get the desired results. If you have experience with this I would love to learn more about this type of fine tuning of the Cortex parameters. If you know of a link to a good discussion of this type of thing that would be great too.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2016, 05:59 AM
megafly

Hi guys, do you know if in a jet, it will work put the elevator in normal mode, ailerons and ruder in HH mode? Or just the ailerons?

I will install a cortex in a Xtreme (skymaster) Bae Hawk.
Also any gain settings for this plane?

Thanks a lot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.