Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 04:01 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Keith I have a cable i can lend you let me know.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:38 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks Bob, one of the locals here has one I can try, thanks for the offer! I need to order some gyros for stock so I guess I will grab a couple of these. I originally thought B module worked for all of them so I didnt get any the first couple of orders.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:47 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Pretty sure B-Module only works with the Pro and Axon
Old 12-29-2020, 04:37 AM
svan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone set up a Cortex Pro using Spektrum's SRXL connection?
I am trying to set up a Cortex Pro to stabilize 7 channels on a 120cc biplane with crow. (4 ailerons, 2 elevator and 1 rudder) My receiver is a Spektrum AR12310T Powersafe and I'm using a Spektrum IX20 transmitter.
I have a patch cable from the SRXL receiver port to port B on the Cortex Pro. I have completed teaching the input type correctly and servos 1-6 plugged into the Cortex Pro are now working as assigned in the transmitter. Servo 7 is supposed to plug into port A on the Cortex Pro however that port is not receiving data as that servo doesn't respond.
Any ideas on what I'm missing or is there another way to accomplish this or is it not possible?
Thanks
Old 12-29-2020, 04:52 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I’ve not tested Spektrum’s version of SRXL but if port A does not have a channel output the most likely reason is that Spektrum do not send data for channel 7.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:45 AM
svan

Thanks,
I'm sure that is the case, I'm just wondering why it isn't? I haven't used SRXL before but it is my understanding that is is designed to communicate data for all channels in the receiver. I have 4 Cortex Pros but all of my previous installs used the supplied cable and stabilized 2 ailerons, 2 elevators and a rudder.
Maybe someone with more Spektrum experience will chime in. Until then I will set it up using the supplied cable and stabilize just the bottom 2 ailerons.
svan
Old 02-21-2021, 09:58 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a question and looking for some guidance using the Cortex Pro. It's been installed in a AirWorld Gripen. All moving surfaces are on separate channels (Aileron x 2, Elev x 2, Rudder x 1, Canards x 2)

From what I understand I can only use 6 Channels for stabilization and the "7th" channel cannot be used for stabilization, correct? If that's the case I'm surprised for $300 it's limited for just 6 channels.

Options -
Y harness the canards into the 6th channel
Purchase another Cortex Gyro and have 2 Gyro's installed
Just use as Spektrum AS3000 Gryo as I am using the Spektrum 20channel powersafe RX
Or look at other Gyro's or an AR System.

Can anyone provide me with suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks...
Old 02-22-2021, 02:09 AM
Bob_B

From the manual:

Up to 16 independent servo channels (24 all together) can be stabilized using a servo distribution box, with up to 7 channels using one serial input, and up to 6 channels using the supplied cable loom. These channels are simply run through the CORTEXpro. If the number of channels is not sufficient, unidirectional servos, e.g. ailerons with identical direction sense, or double rudder servos, can also be connected via Y-cable, which increases the number of controllable servos.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:11 AM
Bob_B

https://www.bavariandemon.com/filead...anual-V1.6.pdf
Old 02-22-2021, 04:59 AM
F1 Rocket

You are limited to (6) directly connected stabilized outputs when using the supplied cable loom for the input.

An extra directly connected stabilized output (total of 7) is available on port A when using a single serial input on port B.

As Bob stated above, up to (16) channels can be stabilized via a servo distribution box using the serial I/O connection.

Most Spektrum users connect via the cable loom. Some Spektrum receivers now output an industry standard SRXL serial output. This can be used as a single input (port B) which would open up port A for the 7th stabilized output. You could also source a servo distribution box that supports SRXL as an input.

Danny
Old 02-22-2021, 07:33 AM
rfbenn

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cortex Pro problem

Hi
I recently bought a Cortex Pro from someone I know, one of the limited edition red versions and put it in my T One Fortune which has been flown many times and is all trimmed out , using the serial port with Sbus.
Everything went well with the calibration but then I noticed my rudder was about 5 degrees out of trim, so I recalibrated it ,same result! I put the tail plane on and each elevator was the same about 5 degrees out.
I checked that the cortex was up to date and recognising the Futaba 18sz.
After a bit of head scratching I decided to try wiring it up with the cable loom to see if the same happens but no the flying surfaces were all perfectly in trim as I would have expected.
The gyro side is working as it should so the question is have I missed something or does my cortex not recognise the plane trims using the serial port correctly.
Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Rob
Old 02-26-2021, 06:33 PM
alfawaz

Originally Posted by rfbenn
Hi
I recently bought a Cortex Pro from someone I know, one of the limited edition red versions and put it in my T One Fortune which has been flown many times and is all trimmed out , using the serial port with Sbus.
Everything went well with the calibration but then I noticed my rudder was about 5 degrees out of trim, so I recalibrated it ,same result! I put the tail plane on and each elevator was the same about 5 degrees out.
I checked that the cortex was up to date and recognising the Futaba 18sz.
After a bit of head scratching I decided to try wiring it up with the cable loom to see if the same happens but no the flying surfaces were all perfectly in trim as I would have expected.
The gyro side is working as it should so the question is have I missed something or does my cortex not recognise the plane trims using the serial port correctly.
Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Rob

Rob I have recently grounded 2 jets (Havoc SS and Rogue) because I have noticed similar issues to what you are talking about. Furthermore, on the ground I tested when throttle is advanced the rudder and ailerons jitter violently. My investigating began after a weird reaction of my Rogue in flight when I was on a bank and advanced the throttle the airplane just shook. After talking to multiple people it seems like the reasoning is the ultrasonic noise coming from the turbine causing the sensor on the cortex to get affected. And a solution would entail making an isolating box for the gyro (Which I am going to test next week made out of depron 6mm foam). However, from what you are saying the wire loom fixed the issue? I think I will try that also !! That is something I have not thought about, but will definitely give a try next week also. Luckily, I can easily re produce the issue on the ground as it happens immediately upon throttle advancement. Therefore, I could try the wire loom and test it on the ground to see if it will fix my issue. Then I will try the foam box. Then if neither one works I will just resort to iGyro SAT by powerbox as I have a PB Pioneer in the Rogue and could simply add a $99 iGyro to see if that fixes my issue.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:34 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by alfawaz
Rob I have recently grounded 2 jets (Havoc SS and Rogue) because I have noticed similar issues to what you are talking about. Furthermore, on the ground I tested when throttle is advanced the rudder and ailerons jitter violently. My investigating began after a weird reaction of my Rogue in flight when I was on a bank and advanced the throttle the airplane just shook. After talking to multiple people it seems like the reasoning is the ultrasonic noise coming from the turbine causing the sensor on the cortex to get affected. And a solution would entail making an isolating box for the gyro (Which I am going to test next week made out of depron 6mm foam). However, from what you are saying the wire loom fixed the issue? I think I will try that also !! That is something I have not thought about, but will definitely give a try next week also. Luckily, I can easily re produce the issue on the ground as it happens immediately upon throttle advancement. Therefore, I could try the wire loom and test it on the ground to see if it will fix my issue. Then I will try the foam box. Then if neither one works I will just resort to iGyro SAT by powerbox as I have a PB Pioneer in the Rogue and could simply add a $99 iGyro to see if that fixes my issue.
if the wire loom fixes the problem then the problem is not likely noise from the turbine. Are both of you using Futaba sBus connection? I’m running 5 cortex pros in 5 different jets with Jeti EX bus and have never experienced any of these symptoms. This is very concerning though...
Old 02-27-2021, 08:10 AM
rfbenn

Originally Posted by Tip22v
if the wire loom fixes the problem then the problem is not likely noise from the turbine. Are both of you using Futaba sBus connection? I’m running 5 cortex pros in 5 different jets with Jeti EX bus and have never experienced any of these symptoms. This is very concerning though...
The problem showed up on the initial set up in the workshop using Sbus, as soon as I set it up with the loom ( which doesn’t use sbus) all the surface trims were fine.
I have tried to contact Bavarian but they have not replied as yet.
Rob
Old 02-27-2021, 08:39 AM
Bob_B

I have setup numerous Futaba SBus/Cortex pros in jets and in a warbird using a full SBus setup and have never seen this centering issue.
Why it goes away when using the harness is puzzling.

Regarding the gittering when the motor is at certain RPM we saw that on a friends Havoc SS. It was mounted to laminate of FRP, wood, FRP. He made and acoustical hood of foam, issue resolved. Using only plywood has much better dampening qualities.

Every install issue can be different but can be resolved.

Last edited by Bob_B; 02-27-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:59 AM
F1 Rocket

The problem showed up on the initial set up in the workshop using Sbus, as soon as I set it up with the loom ( which doesn’t use sbus) all the surface trims were fine.
I have tried to contact Bavarian but they have not replied as yet.
Rob
This is an issue which has come up a few times. The Cortex Pro does not shift the centering. If this is happening it must be something in the SBus output from the RX that is shifted. Please make sure you are using SBus, not SBus 2.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:45 PM
rfbenn

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
This is an issue which has come up a few times. The Cortex Pro does not shift the centering. If this is happening it must be something in the SBus output from the RX that is shifted. Please make sure you are using SBus, not SBus 2.
I’ll check it out & try again.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2021, 01:40 PM
rfbenn

Ok so I went through the process again, I disconnected the gyro and put the leads back into receiver and confirmed that the surfaces were where I expected them to be .
The receiver is a Futaba 7014 I checked the link mode to make sure that the sbus port was active and reconnected the gyro, sbus to port B. As soon as I powered the system up the surfaces moved about 5 degrees from where they should be, I went through the teaching/setup process & although the surfaces and gyro were working as expected all were still out.
I then went back to the loom method and all my surfaces were again where they should be, so it looks like hard wiring works but using the sbus to serial port has a problem.
I’ll try a different receiver tomorrow to see I if I can narrow it down to either receiver or gyro.
Rob
Old 02-28-2021, 06:06 PM
Bob_B

In the setups ive done it was always a 7008.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:19 PM
alfawaz

On both my jets I am having the issue with SBUS
One is as follow Powerbox Mercury SRS (iGyro disabled yes!) and the cortex pro is connected to 2 x 7003SB receivers to the SBUS port (it will not initialize if connected to SBUS2 anyway)
On the Rogue I have a Powerbox Pioneer and the cortex pro is connected to 2 x 7003SB receivers to the SBUS port (it will not initialize if connected to SBUS2 anyway)

I am going to try the loom tomorrow and a the simple foam box I have made for it to see if it resolve the issue and will update you all.

It is very frustrating to be honest
Old 03-01-2021, 02:54 AM
rfbenn

Ok so I went through the process again, I disconnected the gyro and put the leads back into receiver and confirmed that the surfaces were where I expected them to be .
The receiver is a Futaba 7014 I checked the link mode to make sure that the sbus port was active and reconnected the gyro, sbus to port B. As soon as I powered the system up the surfaces moved about 5 degrees from where they should be, I went through the teaching/setup process & although the surfaces and gyro were working as expected all were still out.
I then went back to the loom method and all my surfaces were again where they should be, so it looks like hard wiring works but using the sbus to serial port has a problem.
I’ll try a different receiver tomorrow to see I if I can narrow it down to either receiver or gyro.
Rob
I tried with a Futaba 7008 with the same result using sbus/serial mode all surfaces were out 5 degrees or so using the loom everything was fine.
Is it worth sending to Bavarian or just use it in loom mode.
Rob
Old 03-01-2021, 04:14 AM
Bob_B

Thats really odd. Out of curiosity do you another cortex you could try as a process of elimination.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:33 AM
rfbenn

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Thats really odd. Out of curiosity do you another cortex you could try as a process of elimination.
I don’t have another to check it against, although I had one a while ago and that worked fine so I’m familiar with its operation, I guess this one’s faulty as I got the same result with two different receivers.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:20 AM
alfawaz

Just a quick update. I have tried the foam box to isolate engine noise and that did not help at all. Then switched to the wire loom and it almost eliminated the issue completely. It seems like the serial input is where the issue really is.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:44 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by alfawaz
Just a quick update. I have tried the foam box to isolate engine noise and that did not help at all. Then switched to the wire loom and it almost eliminated the issue completely. It seems like the serial input is where the issue really is.

What surface is the gyro mounted to? That is a big factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.