Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Kits

ORIGINAL: 7aso

ORIGINAL: Cliff Ozier

I'm looking for a set of plans for a Royal Products Cessna 310Q.

I bought the kit in '75 and have built up the fuselage and tail surfaces.
The plans were stapled to the walls for 10 years for safe keeping but turned into bug food.
What was left was packed back in the box when we moved and has
been there for the last 16 years. But now I'd like to continue building.
Anybody? Thanks in advance.
Try this guy,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Cessna-310...QQcmdZViewItem
Thank you very much!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Do you have this one?
I don't have either, I only have a set of plans
Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are interested in this kit, let me know.....
Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM

Picked up this Royal Zero for $50 at a garage sale.

Starting the tear down, I am planning on a very basic overhaul, sand, repair, repaint. I think I'll leave the fixed gear on it for now, and won't add flaps. (may rethink the retracts depending on how far I have to go into the wing for other things)

Major issues are -

* The stab is broken off
* The rudder is cracked and missing the lower TE
* The wing has a measureable twist in it. [:@] - didn't see that when I looked it over when I bought it.
* With it already sheeted, any thoughts on this one? (I am assuming a jig, some water and ammonia, bricks etc...)

New items will be a canopy and a full set of plans. I have seen USWING mentioned here with good comments. I'd like to do things like relocate the control rods (on the stab anyway) as well as understand the bell cranks in the wings so I can pop it open and inspect the hardware etc. (hence the need for the plans)

I am currently overhauling the FOX Eagle 60 it came with and depending on how it goes I'll use it, or a Saito .91s.

A lot of good info on this thread, thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42801.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1127416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79864.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1127417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80517.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1127418  
Old 02-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Nice plane.....tho something looks out-of-proportion.....maybe I'm crazy.

If the wing is glassed, I don't think you're doing anything to get a twist out short of building a new wing.

I have plans for their Rufe.....which I think has the same wing, basically

FA[8D]
Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Thanks.

Good news is that it was only doped and a quick sanding has it back down to wood. Given the amount of twist though, it may not be something I can fix.

I'll fiddle with it and see what I can get out of it. I have yet to put it in a jig and see how far it’s off, but the angle of attack on the tips is noticeably different even in the head-on shot above.

for 50 bones, its a good excuse.....

Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 PM
My Feedback: (8)

If your going to glass it..... This may be drastic, but if you slice through the sheeting from center to tip, top and bottom, several times you can twist the wing where you need it, tack it with CA check it, if it is good glass it and you will have a strait wing!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 AM

well you're just down the road a bit, i'll drop it off.. can you have it ready by friday...?

Seriously, that's the kind of approach I was thinking... OR just peel and reskin the whole thing. If I could easily get the parts for a new wing I'd go that route entirely, but I'm not up to a scratch building all the ribs.

I'll tear into it over the coming weekend and see what I come up with. Thanks for the idea...

Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you could have built a better one your self! I had built a bit of a warp in my own wing and set about a system to straighten it a bit AFTER I glassed it, and during the cure. I later improved a leverage, and applied heat after the cure to affect a straightening. Oh well, I will see eventualy, or just hang it for observers. I have my 1/6th scale Corsair blown up from Royal plans in the works. This one should be good! Thanks again to all talking here! -Eric (the management..ha ha)
Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM

So here's the update from last night...

Fuselage -

Was able to sand down the fuse pretty quickly and it looks pretty virgin with only a few marks and hangar rash that will be easily repairable. There was one thin spot that gave way under sanding[:@] across the rear deck, so a small repair is in order.

Got the stab epoxied back in place and will be looking to glass it (and the rest of the fuse) this weekend so it's off my mind. No major surprises there. Left the elevator hinged as I think removing it will prove destructive on the control surfaces (epoxied to the torque rods pretty well)

Wing -

On the wing, it turns out it was covered, but not glassed, not silkspan, I'm not sure what it was.(charcoal-ish cloth, glasslike – maybe just very OLD glass, primered grey? Polyspan and dope?) In either case it was easy to remove (wasn't adhered to the balsa very well, but the wing underneath was pretty rough.

A large number of finger holes (assembly issues I assume) and patchwork. All of these were on the bottom, and given the fact the wing had such a twist, I thought I’d see how well the skin was attached. Long story short, I have small mountain of balsa on the floor and a single sided wing now.

• Good News is that I can now twist this thing any which way and straighten out the twist it had (measured almost 1 inch of difference between the two wing tips, and both had a more aggressive angle of attack than the root for each side – wonder how that stab got broken off? )
• Bad News is that I don’t have a jog for the wing, so’ll be making one to keep the wings flat and add a few degrees of washout to the tips (any advice here on how many degrees?)

Overall -

Project $50 garage sale Zero just got interesting… and a bit more expensive…
Stopping at the LHS and getting the skins to start will as well as some material for a jig.

Pictures of the current carnage to be added this eve.

Riddle4u – if this is too much of a rebuild/thrash, let me know and I’ll keep the updates over on the crash/rebuild forum.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 PM

WAG of 2 degrees washout should help alot......not the wash-right or left it had

Did you acquire a plan to see what root incidence should've been, etc....?

FA
Old 02-06-2009, 12:52 PM

No plans yet, still digging...

I am guessing something like 2 to 2-1/2 degrees positive at the root and then allow it to go to 0 at the tips.

I haven't measured how the wing was bedded yet to the fuse, so it may require some work there as well.

welcome to project Franken-Zero.... indeed maybe this does need its own thread.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:19 AM

Pmiller, no problem on bringing your issue up here..you got a few answers. That is what it is all about. If it were twenty posts or something I would just suggest PM'ing maybe.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Just curious, any progress Paul? Oh..and isn't anyone else working on a Royal this winter?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That is the nicest piece of nose Lead I have ever seen !!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:32 PM
My Feedback: (27)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: pmillerusa

No plans yet, still digging...

I am guessing something like 2 to 2-1/2 degrees positive at the root and then allow it to go to 0 at the tips.

I haven't measured how the wing was bedded yet to the fuse, so it may require some work there as well.

welcome to project Franken-Zero.... indeed maybe this does need its own thread.

This should help you,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROYAL-MITSUBISHI...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-14-2009, 07:33 PM
My Feedback: (27)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

Just curious, any progress Paul? Oh..and isn't anyone else working on a Royal this winter?
I've got 2 Royal/Marutaka kits I've been working on this winter,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8367478

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8438095/tm.htm
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 AM

Cyclops, sorry, I didn't quite get the reference in your last post. I looked back a few posts to see if I pictured a nice engine or something? -Eric

I think it is OK to bring up particularly good finds that are current on Ebay, as a reminder (to all here)
Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 AM

Post #328: middle picture.

Is/was the Royal Zero 'out of scale'/ sport scale? Wing looks too wide/too far aft/ too something.

good plan view here: http://combinedfleet.com/ijna/a6m.htm tho there's probably better.

****in the 'never know what you'll find on the net' category:

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/s.../site5zero.htm wow what a project!

still have a NIB Marutaka/Royal 'Navy Fighter' - a Zero with float / Rufe - if someone's looking for a project.

FA[8D]
Old 03-16-2009, 12:12 PM

I actually think the Royal Zero is pretty darn close to scale. The wing looks to be slightly wider in chord overall but I haven't taken out my dividers and compared to 3-views. I don't remember which 3-views were used, maybe koku fan or something. Look at the pictures of my Zero posted at the head of this thread, and a few throughout. It looks a lot more scale, even in outline, when you detail it a bit (and paint the cowl). At the small scales it is probably worthwhile to fudge on area a bit (although I really think it is just a bit).
Old 04-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Very impressive Corsair, Reapergrim!

I would appreciate very much if you could provide me one platic set for Royal P 38.

Please email-me if still available.

Thanks ,

Al
Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Hi
I am building a B17 from a set of royal 60 plans I would be grateful for any advise anyone can give on where to get retracts and what type,engines, I thought of saito FA-30h 4 strokes and a good set of wheels and any other help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 02:00 AM
My Feedback: (13)

this is the only Royal B-17 I have ever seen, it belongs to a club member, he built it long ago and it flew once, spring air gear( nose wheel gear in each nacelle) to retract rearward.

I believe it was powered by eitherOS.15 or 25engines, when I asked him how it flew he said it was a handfull and was glad to get it backon the ground in one piece, the rudder and elevator were really sensitive with all that prop wash running over them, and really hard to control.

I didn't ask him what it weighed, but it was covered in silkspan and Dope and was a nice looking airplane at our clubs display at the local airshow.

Name:	Xv63221.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1199244  
Old 05-16-2009, 02:08 AM
My Feedback: (13)

and here is the progress I have made on myreproduction,modified FW190A8build starting to look like a airplane now, still alot of work to be done yet, but its moving along,check the progress in my build thread in the warbirds section.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56...tm.htm#5620546

Name:	Yw68718.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1199245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67006.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1199246  
Old 05-16-2009, 06:45 PM

Nice FW! Thanks for recent submissions gentlemen. I think this is a nice general thread topic, and feel free to post as many pics as you feel like.

7aso: go ahead and post some pics from that nice link on your two projects...nice work it looks like! Thanks- Eric</p>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.