Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

the hyper st PRO thread!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM
spikeitaudi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the hyper st PRO thread!

I am thinking now that when I tuned my engine I had the body off. And when I ran in the long main's I had the body on. I wonder if I didn't have enough air flow to the engine so I am gonna drill some holes in the windshield for improved air flow.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:53 AM
spikeitaudi

Anybody have the part number for the Mugen tank? Better yet the link in Amain for it?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 AM
qaiz

ORIGINAL: spikeitaudi

Anybody have the part number for the Mugen tank? Better yet the link in Amain for it?

Thanks
I think this is the one Supertib's talking about

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7557

Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
spikeitaudi

ORIGINAL: qaiz

ORIGINAL: spikeitaudi

Thanks
I think this is the one Supertib's talking about

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7557

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:25 PM
laynlow

here are the part numbers you will need

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/7557]TANK[/link]

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/1854]tank bushings[/link]

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/1853]splash shieild and mount posts[/link]

toy have to redrill the front mount holes for the tank and fab up a piece to whold the splash shield

takes 30 mins tops
Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 PM
spikeitaudi

Perfect. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sssooo, I finally drove my Hyper on a track..!! Prior to this, I had driven the Hyper for one test tank in a parking lot to check the tune on the Mach..

It was the first practice race on the new track they just built here where I live(finally..)

All in all I was pleased, though, having only run two prelim rounds(whatever you call them..), I missed the 10-minute main race cuz my stupid gas/brake servo arm stripped out... [:@] Frantically tried to fix it, but to no avail.. P.issed me off at the time, but whatever I'm over it.. Was my own fault, cuz back when I put it together, I used some cheapo screw to hold the arm into the Hitec servo.. I seem to have this problem rather often, on all my trucks.. As a result of this problem btw, the Hyper had some pretty rough crashes, and proved that toughness everybody talks about.. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Anyway, so I only ran two tanks really on the track.. Was kind of funny, cuz before the Hyper I ran my LST2 on the track, and let me just say, with those USELESS Muggy tires(I know I know, I should have gotten some real racing tires, but I thought they'd be at least better than stock - they're not really..), the LST2 had about as much grip as a tapdancer with greased shoes on an ice-rink... Was ridiculous. This track is really hard - more for buggies.. But whatever..

It was immediately clear how much better the Hyper tires were.. Initially I had the steering dialled way down, so was not getting the best out of it - was still fun.

Observations - once I upped the EPA, handling started getting MUCH better... Power-wise the Mach seemed almost perfectly suited to this truck, and this track. The 8t's with OS VSPEC's sounded cooler, but weren't down the straight or out of the corners any faster... I even ran over a few of the cheaper buggies.. There was a top-line Kyosho truggy with OS Speed and all the goodies and a good driver that I had no chance against, but it's cool.. Power for me with the Mach was everywhere, and I even had to go easy on the back straight(which ends in an elevated corner..) Run times seemed good too... Never timed it, but was always amazed how much fuel was still in the tank.. The Fioroni(old-school 2-shoe) is awesome too.. I also thought the Hyper flew well. There's only one smallish jump really, and I - surprisingly - was nailing it pretty well I thought..(all that bashing paying off??.. Heh-heh... ) Braking was less than ideal, but the truck is so new, and I didn't get a chance to adjust anything really..

EDIT - ps: If I ever meet the guy who designed the radio box, I'm going to waterboard him... My first pack(a new pack......), lasted about 1 1/4 tanks.. Why I don't know.. But changing it took 20 minutes. I ended up just drilling a hole in the side of the box for the plug to go through...

Anyway, there's the "real" race next weekend, which I think I want to have a go at... Will be a bunch of more experienced and even sponsored drivers there, so I'd get killed - but whatever..

My setup is all over the place at the mo.. Handling I'd like to see it more swing the back end out like I see well set-up trucks do in videos.. The engine needs a slight adjustment(may have approached 300 a time or two yesterday ..[X(] Oops.. Was just a weird situation running with so many other people - I'm just used to adjusting everything while the truck is running, not on the bench.. Here though it was like, lay it on the track and go...)

Here a couple short clips and pics..(girlfriend didn't get any good footage really - was too scared to get near the track, cuz she didn't want to have to turn over any upended cars...):

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV04821.flv

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV04855.flv

Old 06-23-2008, 11:42 AM
lazyboy12300

Cool videos, sounds like you had a good day. I found the brakes weren't amazing on my first race day, so changed them to quad craddocks and it now stops perfectly. I can now outbrake many of the other guys with their STRRs and Xrays into the first corner.
Scott
Old 06-23-2008, 01:26 PM
HerrSavage

So far the brakes do suck.. Which Craddocks do I need exactly - and where has them?? Isn't Amain all sold out??.. Here in Germany people are talking about some other brand - can't remember right now what it's called...

Anyway, I fixed my servo problem - I think.. I threadlocked the screw into the servo, so I hope that works..

Then, I went out to run the rest of yesterday's fuel out of it, and try to fine-tune it some more, and the front right wheel went all squirelly. I thought great, just like all the German guys here busting their carriers.. But it wasn't that - the bottom screw holding the hub on had come out(in the grass - C ya..) So, went home, and fixed it.. The CNC screw threads were kind of stripped though(***??) - all I could do was take a thinner shim instead of the washer, and lock-tite it in - which I did.. Took everything back out, and then the turnbuckle - front right - popped off.. So I thread-locked that.. Then I looked everything over - and saw the screw holding the servo steering arm was coming out.. ***?? So I went and redid the whole linkage, and threadlocked THAT screw in as well.. I wish I would've just gotten Futaba servos to start with.. For whatever reason, it's impossible to find the right Hitec-size screw (I think they're 2.6mm, but all you can find here is 2.5...) It was even hard back when I put it together finding a good servo-arm for it.. I love my 5955's..., but jeeze...

On another note, I would like to try a bit more offset on the tires. I recently bought a set of LPR's, but they're non-offset. I don't want to spend €35 on the 10mm extenders, so my question is: for racing, which would be better??: Spend €50 on either a set of 8T wheels or GRP Cubics, OR just dump the 35 bucks for the extenders?? There's a nice looking set of cheaper extenders on e-bay here, but I was told the pins on the Hyper have a weird size...
Old 06-23-2008, 02:37 PM
lazyboy12300

The craddock brakes I have are from the UK (I have quad setup): http://www.apexmodels.com/product-se...ories&id=13843
I have had problems with the screws you are talking about also, just threadlock ALL screws that go into metal. On the steering knuckle, put threadlock on the knuckle, then put the screw in, as what happens is the threadlock comes off in the bushign and none sets in the knuckle.

I personally think that getting extenders (I have them) is the better option, as then you can use the wheels you have already and are not changed no matter what you get next time.
Scott
Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 PM
j_blaze

i'm sorry, i just don't see the problem with the brakes. i have an ace 1313 for t/b and its done fine as long as i've had the truck. stock brakes, losi disks, and back to stock with fiber pads. i'm not stopping at every turn screeching to a hault, in fact i hardly brake at all, the time i need brakes is for mid air control and they work great for me.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 PM
spikeitaudi

Agreed I am using stock brakes as well and they are working fine for me.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found my Hyper to have a terrible nose dive tendency off the big jumps.... If you so much as tap the brakes in the air the truck will nose dive super bad......... Having some super strong brakes is going to cause hell if you ever need to try to control the Hyper in the air...
Old 06-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Ashalak

Just a quick note, I've got a customer in need of some hex adapters to be used in conjunction with some Proline LPR Wheels/Tyres - I've got 6mm, 8mm and 10mm in stock and he wants near as dammit the same track width as the stock wheels/tyres, would it be an 8mm or a 10mm he would require? Cheers..
Old 06-24-2008, 02:52 PM
j_blaze

ORIGINAL: supertib

I found my Hyper to have a terrible nose dive tendency off the big jumps.... If you so much as tap the brakes in the air the truck will nose dive super bad......... Having some super strong brakes is going to cause hell if you ever need to try to control the Hyper in the air...
i thought thats what the wing adjustment was for.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:56 PM
cycleops1966

ORIGINAL: supertib

Just because you have strong brakes, doesn't mean you have to use all off them.
I set mine so they will lock the rears in the middle of the straight then back them off to around 50%-60% on the Transmitter
It's nice to know that you can crank more on if you need to.

Phil[8D]
Old 06-29-2008, 09:22 PM
herb99

Anyone ever used these on their truggy or buggy?
If so what did you think of them? I am thinking about giving them a try.
Thanks

Old 06-30-2008, 04:52 AM
j_blaze

another dissapointing day with the hyper yesterday. ran it during practice and was having battery/reciever problems. got that fixed and prepared for the quals then one of my clutch springs broke as i'm fueling up. fixed that then in the second qualifier lost the front left pin on the hub extender, only got 9 laps in. i was running 28 second laps and everyone else was running 32-37's. so for the b main i figured i had it in the bag to bump up. went out and did a long warm up to adjust brakes a bit on a bumpy track now and as im reving up the motor to clear it out for the start the front left wheel falls off and rolls away. so once again the fastest truck does not always win the day. i was using a zip tie as a abckup to keep the pins in but when i went to the 15mm extenders i forgot about the zip ties until the end of the day. still an awesome truck all around, i was turning inside the losi and mugens all day, just beautiful.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:58 AM
HerrSavage

Hey jblaze..(or anyone else..), should I get 10mm or 12mm extenders to go with non-offet LPR Crimefighters??

Or should I just get offset LPR's?

And if I get the extenders, would running them then with stock Hyper ST Pro wheels, or even offset LRP's, be too much offset alltogether?

Thanks..
Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 AM
herb99

I run 6mm hub extenders up front and 4mm in the rear. With 0 offset LRP wheels.
You can get them for $10 USD each from www.rcmart.com.
Have you checked the OFNA forums, there is heaps of info on the Hyper ST there from people that race them every weekend.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:03 AM
HerrSavage

Hey, which Ofna forums?? Link didn't work.. Thanks..
Old 06-30-2008, 03:50 PM
richardo52

Hi am in the united Kingdom and have been looking for CNC aluminium C hubs. Have gone through quite a few so far all left for some unkown reason. So if you know of somewhere to get these could you please let me know where from , cant seem to find anyone who makes them over here. cheers
Old 06-30-2008, 04:04 PM
HerrSavage

BTW, at the race last weekend, there was a guy there with an ST Pro, and he said his brakes are fine - they just needed about 2-3 liters to get going.. Also said he sprayed them with brake-cleaner.. In his opinion, the brakes aren't an issue.. I watched him race too, and he was quick - good braking too...
Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM
herb99

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Hey, which Ofna forums?? Link didn't work.. Thanks..
http://www.ofna.com/forum/
Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
j_blaze

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Hey jblaze..(or anyone else..), should I get 10mm or 12mm extenders to go with non-offet LPR Crimefighters??

Or should I just get offset LPR's?

And if I get the extenders, would running them then with stock Hyper ST Pro wheels, or even offset LRP's, be too much offset alltogether?

Thanks..

all my wheels are 0 offset so i'm stuck using some kind of extender for now. i have 15mm and 30mm and i swap out depending on how technical the track is. with the 30mm the truck seems to turn a bit less, but still more than anybody else out there, with the 15mm it seems to be perfectly balanced on understeer/oversteer. i have a few ideas on how to keep the pins in: dremel a notch on the center of the pin so the set screw had something to hold on to, rubber stops to fit over the hub and keep the pin secured, ca, i can custom make a pin that goes through the hole but one end is longer and actually wraps around the whole hub and meets up with the other end. anything has to be better than the frustration of this past weekend. i finally figured out all the other small issues that kept me from finishing my mains with this truck and this minute minuscule petite itsy bitsy little thing kept me from having my best race day yet. very aggrivating. still absolutely love the truck. i may try some of the jeremy kortz lightening techniques soon and see if i can even tell a difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.