Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Wild Hare Electrics

Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 PM
maxxteezy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wild Hare Electrics

Hello guys. I'm here to chime in on this WHElectric thread. I have an eEdge, as a matter of fact, we've got 3 of them. Me and a couple of buddies went out on the 18th of Nov and got them. The build was easy, and since we didn't have any instructions yet (were still being printed), we went in commando on the builds, and they went smoothly. The only small issues we had were not trimming the servo openings, be careful not to try and force the servo's in place, because they will crack the fuse if you put too much force on them. Just go in and trim the holes a bit with an exacto or blade. I opted for the pull-pull set up on my Edge, with a High Torque JR126MG Standard Servo for the rudder and the same for the single-elevator setup. Ido not particularly like the single elevator, in which Iwill be going back to the dual servos, but with some beefier, metal geared high torque jobs. I noticed that when you give high rates of throw that the CS's don't stay synced as well as I'd like, so I'll change that. The motor mounted very easily, but again, since we had first run kits, the spacers weren't in the bag so I went ahead and fabbed up a set of spacer out of balsa and plastic (but now I have the spacers,Tom gave them to me on another trip out, and I will keep them for later..). The motor centered easily, and the firewall was already D&RT from the factory. The motor combo is very hott, straight vertical at half throttle. We use 2200mAH 4s Turnigy packs, and we get about 3-4 mins, or if you run 2 in parallel, you can get 7-8 mins.
And for the way it flies, brilliantly!!! My buddy did all of the flying, as Ijust flew mines for the first time today. He says that it flies like a large plane, exactly as Tom said that it does. It does all of the moves, and does them smoothly. It does very nice flat-spins, and knifedges like its on rails. It has unlimited vertical, even goes vertical at half stick. This plane hauls balls!!! If you prop it right, it could be a pretty speedy racer. The Edge is not a hard plane to land, if you keep the speed up a tad, it just settles in on its own. I like it, and I will get another one soon, maybe a white one this time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ay75435.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	868.1 KB
ID:	1336660   Click image for larger version

Name:	hc94318.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	779.4 KB
ID:	1336661   Click image for larger version

Name:	ze84808.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	706.4 KB
ID:	1336662   Click image for larger version

Name:	ey71256.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	946.7 KB
ID:	1336663   Click image for larger version

Name:	it10800.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	935.5 KB
ID:	1336664   Click image for larger version

Name:	lc48583.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	819.3 KB
ID:	1336665   Click image for larger version

Name:	km97705.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	550.1 KB
ID:	1336666  
Old 12-17-2009, 09:03 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Maxxteezy, Welcome to RCUniverse!

Thanks for the writeup. I bought mine the other day, and it will be delivered early next week. I can't wait! I know it will be a ton of fun to fly.

I am interested to know how that pull-pull setup works for you. I think I will do that for the rudder and use a JR 126MG like you did.

That plane looks great in the pictures! I really like the smooth cowl attachment method. I have been bolting on cowls for too many years, and like that there aren't any screw heads sticking out.

That dark canopy looks great too!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure glad someone has had the time to get these done. As simple as they are I still haven't found the time to finish mine.

One thing I'd like to add about motor spacing. Not being used to spinners that have a rear flange I incorrectly determined that 11/16" would be the right amount of spacer for the spinner to clear the cowl. Boy was I wrong! The spinner requires about an extra 1/4" to clear the spinner plate setback. Don't over look that when you set the motor.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:58 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I'm sure glad someone has had the time to get these done. As simple as they are I still haven't found the time to finish mine.

One thing I'd like to add about motor spacing. Not being used to spinners that have a rear flange I incorrectly determined that 11/16'' would be the right amount of spacer for the spinner to clear the cowl. Boy was I wrong! The spinner requires about an extra 1/4'' to clear the spinner plate setback. Don't over look that when you set the motor.
We are sending out 4 pieces of laser cut spacers 1/4" thick, so it will be very simple to set the spacing anywhere up to an inch out.

TF
Old 12-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed.

Using 3 spacers provides the 11/16" dimension I came up with. Using the fourth spacer sets the motor at the correct distance out to work with the Dubro spinner. The motor mounting screws included in the hardware package are plenty long enough for the task.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 PM
mbinkley

You can use a great planes spinner they do extend with a flange at all. More like the spinners for the big planes.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:04 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: mbinkley

You can use a great planes spinner they do extend with a flange at all. More like the spinners for the big planes.
I like the great planes spinners, I would have liked to use them in the kit but they have some bizarre policies about selling to OEMs and I would have had to pay retail for the products.

I don't understand why they are like that, they turn away business all the time because of this.

TF
Old 12-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Ttaylor63
My Feedback: (16)

I too have the WH Slick 540. It flies very well. But just a heads up about the Power HD servos that come with the power pack. I have 3 that stripped out already & in the process of replacing them all with better quality servo's. These servo's are cheap & i'am not going to take a chance of crashing my plane with them... I'am not flying with 3D throws either. Running 2 elevator servo's & both of them have stripped the gears out. Also had 1 aileron servo that stripped out as well. I think the servo's are of cheap quality. Tom maybe you need to find some better servo's that come with the power pack. The plane fly's great..
Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: Ttaylor63

I too have the WH Slick 540. It flies very well. But just a heads up about the Power HD servos that come with the power pack. I have 3 that stripped out already & in the process of replacing them all with better quality servo's. These servo's are cheap & i'am not going to take a chance of crashing my plane with them... I'am not flying with 3D throws either. Running 2 elevator servo's & both of them have stripped the gears out. Also had 1 aileron servo that stripped out as well. I think the servo's are of cheap quality. Tom maybe you need to find some better servo's that come with the power pack. The plane fly's great..
That's the first report of any problems with the servos. They aren't really cheap servos, but they are small and small servos with nylon gears are never really what one would describe as "rugged". Still, I haven't broken any gears and nobody else has reported such a problem.

If it does happen with any frequency I will certainly take some action.

TF
Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

I bought my E-Slick a few days ago and it was delivered last night. Mama said I had to put it away until after Christmas. I couldn't put it away without at least taking a good look at it (in retribution I think I will make her build it for me...). I didn't get to pull it completely out of the package yet, but I did look at the cowl and wings and tail.

Quick first impressions (I will post much more when I build it over the weekend/next week):
The cowl and wheel pants are light but very stiff, much stronger than expected, with high quality paint. I love the cowl mounting method, is leaves a very clean and finished look.

The fuse is bigger than I expected and is light.

The covering was tight and the wood beneath the covering appears to have been sanded before covering, or at least cleaned up (many ARF planes have rough, "stringy" wood beneath the covering).

The landing gear legs are very nice!

The wings are very nice! They are built straight, have a nice covering job, and are very light, and are torsionally stiff. Like the fuse, the wings seemed larger than I anticipated.

I was happy to see all the connectors are already installed on the motor and ESC, and all servo extensions are included.

More info and pics later when I get a real chance to dig into it. Hopefully winter will wait a while so I can fly it next week.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM
mbinkley

I got a few more fights in last week with my 540E Slick. It flies so nice and is so much fun finally a great E plane that feels more like my bigger Wild Hare's.

I was one of the first kit sent out and did not get the motor spacers that Wild Hare is sending out with each kit. But with the excellent customer service that Wild Hare Has Tom already know I did not get them an sent them out to me. So I added them this weekend and put just a hare of down and right trust using 3 of Toms spacers and 1 I copyed in 1/16 lite ply since I sanded the origal spacer to make my thrust angle change.
I also added 2 Wild Hare logos to the upper wing! Looks nice

FYI my balance point is just about dead on 4" back from root of the wing. It may need to be moved more to the tail but I'm close.

MB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21691.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1349553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65417.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1349554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78869.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1349555  
Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 PM
CYCLONEMAN55

I just got my Edge 540 finished a few days ago. Waiting for the rain to stop so I can maiden it. How much travel are you guys getting on your control surfaces with the stock servo arms. I used some after market servo arms and can get 50 degrees on the elevator and 40 on the ailerons. Hope this plane is going to be the all out 3D monster I am looking for. I done some testing on my power setup(Emax g25 motor) and I am getting about 740 watts with a 13x6 electric wood prop using 4s 5000 mah packs. Do you think that will get me decent vertical performance? All up weight with the 5000 mah packs is 4lbs. Plane with no batt weighs 3lbs. I will post up some pics in a few days.
Lee Mitchell
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: CYCLONEMAN55

I just got my Edge 540 finished a few days ago. Waiting for the rain to stop so I can maiden it. How much travel are you guys getting on your control surfaces with the stock servo arms. I used some after market servo arms and can get 50 degrees on the elevator and 40 on the ailerons. Hope this plane is going to be the all out 3D monster I am looking for. I done some testing on my power setup(Emax g25 motor) and I am getting about 740 watts with a 13x6 electric wood prop using 4s 5000 mah packs. Do you think that will get me decent vertical performance? All up weight with the 5000 mah packs is 4lbs. Plane with no batt weighs 3lbs. I will post up some pics in a few days.
Lee Mitchell
Are you kidding? Good lord that plane will be out of sight in about 6 seconds if you point it up and open the throttle.

If you have that much throw be sure you also have a low rate set up or it will be unflyable.

What servos are you using and where did you get the arms?

TF
Old 01-15-2010, 08:44 PM
mbinkley

CYCLONEMAN55,

You are going to enjoy this aircraft a lot. I needed to put a good amount of throttle expo on the low end to make it fly good slow and 3D.
Keep safe and fly it like you just stole it.

MB

Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM
CYCLONEMAN55

I am using some arms that came with a 3D hobbyshop 47" plane. They were made to screw to the existing arms for an HS 65 servo. They worked just fine on the Power HD mini's I used. Here is a link to the servo arms.
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2193
I only had 3 but I made two more out of some lite ply. Tom I sure enjoyed the visit with you and your wife last Saturday. Did your pool thaw out yet? Is there any video of this plane on You Tube or somewhere else? I would like to see it fly.
Lee Mitchell
Old 01-16-2010, 10:01 PM
CYCLONEMAN55

pics

Old 01-16-2010, 10:03 PM
mbinkley

Very Nice
Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 AM
STANG KILLA SS

Weather was nice Saturday and got to maiden the Edge 540. Was flying it on a 5000 mah 4s pack. Took off really nice and only took a couple clicks off elevator trim to have it flying nice and straight. Was still on low rates and went to do a loop with it and it really did some funny moves as it tried to come over the top. Then on the way down it tried to snap out. Tried a few more with very inconsistant results. Brought the plane down checked the elevator movements and all seemed OK. Moved the CG forward on the next flight and it was worse. Moved it back and it got a little better. Then tried a 2350mah pack that weighs half what the 5000 did, put CG at the front of the wing tube and was some better, but still could not get aggresive with the elevator or it would try and snap out. I have about 25 degress of travel on the elevator on low rates. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experiance. Other than not being able to get wild with the elevator it few really nice. Landings were very predictable as well. Hope to do some more testing soon.
Lee Mitchell
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 AM
rctom

25 degrees on low rates is way too much elevator. The manual calls for 12 degrees.

TF
Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: CYCLONEMAN55

pics
Nice pictures, do you mind if I use them on the web site?

TF
Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 PM
STANG KILLA SS

Don't mind abit. I will try and get some better ones at the flying field next time out. I will reduce my elevator throw to 12 degrees for low rates, but any of my other 3D planes want 45 degrees or better for 3D flying. If it is going to snap out with more than 12 degrees it sure is going to make it hard to recover with up elevator when you are close to the ground.
Lee Mitchell
Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: STANG KILLA SS

Don't mind abit. I will try and get some better ones at the flying field next time out. I will reduce my elevator throw to 12 degrees for low rates, but any of my other 3D planes want 45 degrees or better for 3D flying. If it is going to snap out with more than 12 degrees it sure is going to make it hard to recover with up elevator when you are close to the ground.
Lee Mitchell
You have to understand that this plane is designed like our larger planes and will fly like the larger ones. This means that in normal flight low rates usually apply, and when doing 3D stuff you'll want 40-45 degrees.

3D is usually done at very low speeds with the wing stalled or nearly stalled. If the plane is "snapping out" then what you are doing is not 3D stuff, you are flying on the wing and stalling it in the maneuver when you apply elevator. It's a subtle distinction but important. Fly it like you'd fly a 50cc plane, it's not a foamy.

TF
Old 01-19-2010, 03:25 AM
crackup007

Hey! put some one video, please! Show how it fliying the plane! [&o]
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM
bigal422
My Feedback: (50)

I can't believe this plane has been out this long and no one has posted any video yet.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:07 PM
rctom

Well it's been out about 2 months and it's winter, I'm sure somebody will do something soon.

TF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.