Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

ORIGINAL: acerc

On the wing joiner's I laminated 1/4ply to replace the kit's. Even if it had not been recomended by those on here I would have done it. That balsa piece is just silly for a plane like this.
Another tip for you: Replace the 1/8" wood dowels that are inserted into the "I" struts with carbon fiber rods for better strength.
When I built my Ultimate, I used the provided balsa joiner because I didn't really expect any wing failure due to the "box type" structure of the finished wing set. I used the "brown" Gorilla glue also and have not had any problems after many, many flights.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Update. Here's mine. Finishing up the magnetic cowl mount now. Only three minor task to be completed. 1 Glue upper wing together.................
When you get ready to assemble the upper wing & IF using epoxy, have some painters masking tape to hold it all together ON the plane as it cures! Their directions for gluing and assembling on the model are very important in order for alignment of the cabanes & thumb screws.

I also covered the fuselage with the empty wing bags so as to keep any epoxy from leaking onto it.
Paper towels & rubbing alchohol helps in clean up.

As to your photo; way too clean & tidy of a work area.....mess it up some!
AND if ya intend future 'spot' landings, might I suggest a wider table?
Looks like one wheel is on the very edge of falling off.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank's Jim, good advice. What I use for joining the wing's is 1x4x8 wing tip block's with bungee cord's side to side top and bottom. And I use old sheet's to cover everything with to epoxy over. As to tidy, not enough room to be messy. The wheel is not as close as it look's about 1-1/2 inch.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
acerc

Woo Hoo. Knurled nob's came today. Time to get my wing on. LOL
Later!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 AM
acerc

Well it's all done. Was going thru everything again just to make sure and wah la. Never put locktite on the motor mount bolt's and when I installed the smoke system I ran the control feed thru the power switch instead of the battery. All is corrected now and I think ready for maiden. Hopefully Wednesday.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 PM
iflywhenican

Let us know how it went, but my predictions are that it will take a few hours or DAYS for you to get the smile off your face.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:58 PM
acerc

Will do and your probably right.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

Let us know how it went, but my predictions are that it will take a few hours or DAYS for you to get the smile off your face.
I call that "needing a grin-ectomy"

I predict he will look like this once he has it up and trimmed out and then once he gets a little braver and does a roll on low rates at book throws, he'll look like this [X(]

and once he lands, he'll look like this [&:] and this

And if he ever decides to get really brave and do a blender, then he'll be in the porta-potty cleaning out his shorts once he lands and verifies that everything is alright

The point I'm making is the blenders on this this are so fast and so tight that the first time I did one I landed thinking I surely would have had to break something because to me all I saw was a big ball of color going really fast and thought I was going to yank the tail right of the thing. I won't even get into a Knife Edge spin at 3D rates and full throttle and how tight and fast it gets

Also, if you used metal geared servos, then be sure to have a drop of locktite on the screw holding the servo arm on the servo, even if the arm itself is plastic, I've seen way too many people forget or did not know that little tidbit only to land with the control rod hanging or worse yet, out in the field with a trash bag
Old 03-09-2012, 04:44 PM
acerc

"That's funny right there", Don't think my Idea of flying and your's is any where close. Although the facial expression's will still be the same. Maidened my 20cc primo profile today and my face is stuck with one of those grin's.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
bubbagates

Glad you liked it, don't get me wrong, I'm a precision type of pilot as I fly most IMAC competitions, but I've been known to toss in a good blender, KE spin and a wall here and there, but precision is what I like the most

Like everyone has said, by all means tell us how it went
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM
a1pcfixer

Check that any F/S settings are truly doing what you need, and do your range check both with eng off & then running.

It likes a tad bit of throttle to grease a landing.
Good luck with your maiden flight.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:16 PM
acerc

I know it's probably wrong of me but I have yet to set up a fail safe.[X(]
Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 AM
iflywhenican

I remember when I caused a guy to swallow a chew of Redman and he cussed me out for it!! Just because he had never seen a sort of a "wall to hover" on takeoff!! I'm still laughing over that. [
I never did tell him that I hadn't either. [X(]
Old 03-10-2012, 07:57 AM
14Glen

Hello all,
      I have just gotten a ultimate bi-plane 40, (white, yellow and black) I also just picked up a rear exhaust, front carb. 61 (Black head) Rossi and a pipe. I have run the exhaust through the fire wall and it exits out the bottom ("S" fashion) to the pipe. I am going to rap the header in header rap from the extra left over. ( From my 63 Ford Falcon Futura Sprint with a 460) Also I am putting in some fiber glass in between the header and fuel tank.

I have not ran the Rossi at all. It is New, never started. I will pull it off the plane and put it on the stand to break it in and also to tune it with the pipe. Has anyone had any dealing with this engine? What can i expect? I will sit down and read this forum, for its tips, tricks, and what not to do.

Also I just got a Jett 40 (new) looking to put it on something.

Thanks for all the help. Glen
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 AM
a1pcfixer

You don't say what brand your 40 size bipe is, but this particular msg thread is on the Great Planes Ultimate 1.60 ARF.
You'd do better to post about your plane & search for other similar postings in the RC Airplanes msg section.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_226/tt.htm

As for your engine, head over to the Gas Engines msg section for help on that.....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...smode_1/tt.htm

Hope that helps ya!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM
acerc

Whoooo Hoooo! Got the maiden in. What a treat. A real pleaser and the added smoke mmmmmm mmmmmmm. All the throw's
will be lessened. The mfg's low is going to be my high.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 AM
mstcitabria73

acerc,
Are you using the DLE 55 on the Ulti? If so let us know how it powered the Ulti, congrats on your successful maiden! Great pic also..........Mike
Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM
acerc

Yes, it's a DLE 55 with a 23x8 prop. Way to much power for my flying style. At alittle less thanhalf power it goes vertical till I say stop. And just in case your wondering, my throttle is linear from idle to full.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:22 PM
bubbagates

Whoooo Hoooo! Got the maiden in. What a treat. A real pleaser and the added smoke mmmmmm mmmmmmm. All the throw's
will be lessened. The mfg's low is going to be my high.
Glad you like it, it just gets better as you fly it more. Smoke on an Ultimate is just something that has to be done. I never did it on this Ultimate but the others have it and there is nothing like drawing a great big heart in the sky

Please keep us updated as you fly it more and more and discover what this thing can really do and nope, I'm not talking about 3D stuff

I agree on the throws, book lows are pretty high if you ask me, especially the ailerons.

If I may make a suggestion and this applies to everyone flying this plane, go through the Peter Goldsmith trimming chart, once you complete that chart, you will absolutely love the plane as it will do everything you ask and not do anything else. As you will find out, when adding even the tiniest amount of rudder, this plane will want to roll into the direction of the rudder, you will also find out that going straight up will have the plane walking to the right because there is not enough right thrust built into the firewall and rolling on a 45 degree tends to walk the plane in the direction of the roll

Again, these steps are not required as it flies fine without the extra work, but once you do something like this, you'll be amazed at the end result. Yep, this comes from my IMAC background but it's so ingrained in me to really trim it out that I do it with everything I fly

If you have a smart phone or tablet based on either Apple or Android, there is an app you can get for free called IMAC lite which has the trimming chart in it. If you don't have a smartphone/tablet IU can easily post the PDF file for all to download
Old 03-14-2012, 02:45 PM
a1pcfixer

Congratulations on a fine maiden flight!
Now wipe that mile long grin off your chops!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM
a1pcfixer

I already had slightly increased right thrust on mine, and it helped a heaping bunch!

But yeah, post that pdf file here. I'd like to see it.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:51 PM
bubbagates

Here ya go

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nl30851.pdf (114.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
iflywhenican

ace...Congrats on your maiden. I told you that you would have a smile larger than you could imagine on your face......
I went by the book when I set up my throws also and "WOW" did I get a surprise when I rolled her!!! HOLY COW!!!!
Enjoy her as she if a fine flying machine.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:10 PM
acerc

Oh yea, I'm still smiling. My maiden flight's are very simple. Make a couple circle's trimmin it out, a loop or two to check the rudder. At no point yet have I went past half throttle. Unbelieveable flight performance, both plane and engine. And this DLE sat on a shelf in my shop for two year's. I was a little worried but 13 flip's with choke on, pop and 3 without vvrroomm. After the first flight tweaked the needle's, didn't take much, and swweeeett. Ok I'm done. Thank's for listening. And Thank's for the help! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwyLO...1&feature=plcp
Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM
a1pcfixer

Excellent smoke there buddy!

Well AFTER you're very comfy with it, do a good hover with the smoke on and watch the plane nearly disappear into that smoke. That'll tend to give ya maximum rectal puckerup effect!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.