Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:06 AM
AeroFinn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

As Artto says, they are very easy to get, here is the actual order page.

http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/Ordering%20Info.html

Dan, there may be a concern when using the moonshine fuel, the Cline regulator diaphragm doesn't last more than about a year on glow fuel but will last forever on gasoline and Diesel. Jim Cline recommended replacing the diaphragm every year when using them with glow fuel, and so does John at IronBay.
Hobbsy,

I haven't replaced the diaphgrams on mines and I'm on the second year now on glow fuel. I tested the regulators by blowing the inlet side of the regulator: No pressure leak so I presume no fuel flow to the carbs due to pressurized system unless the carb sucks fuel? Or did I miss something?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, there may be a concern when using the moonshine fuel, the Cline regulator diaphragm doesn't last more than about a year on glow fuel but will last forever on gasoline and Diesel. Jim Cline recommended replacing the diaphragm every year when using them with glow fuel, and so does John at IronBay.
Replacing the diaphram 1 X a year for the extra power & cleaner running from E-85 would be worth the effort in my case.

Like glow fuel, E-85 will allow very aggressive ignition timing as well as comoression ratios compoared to gasoline.

It was during my E-85 experiments that I discovered that 28° BTDC timing made less power (300 RPM) than 35°.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:49 AM
AeroFinn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to think maybe I could replace the diaphgrams on my Cline's just as a preventive measure to avoid any issues. Any ideas where to get replacement parts? Is there any associated Walbro spare parts #, for example?

thanks Artto
Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You're exactly right, they are demand regulators, no fuel draw no flow. The one year thing is probably a conservative precaution, I haven't replaced any either.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 AM
SrTelemaster150

You're exactly right, they are demand regulators, no fuel draw no flow. The one year thing is probably a conservative precaution, I haven't replaced any either.
The questionj remains.

Where can one get replacement diaphams?

$70 sound a bit steep when I can buy a ZAMA carberator for less than $20 & use the regulator part.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Hobbsy

Any small engine repair shop will have them, they are universal.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 PM
SrTelemaster150

Looks like Saito is discontinuing the FA450R3D.

Guess I'll have to convert an FG84 to run on methanol!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Senior Telemaster, re you converting the FG14 to methanol, I made mention elsewhere about some tests Brian Winch did with an FG20 and glo plugs ec.  The article about it is in the latest editio of our Oz magazine Airborne.
Re the YS leaks, given the tank pressure developed of in excess of 10psi some blow by leakage of the check valve was considered acceptable. The early 53's had no leakage and what that system did to a plastic tank was very interesting and usually expensive.  I used metal tanks in all my YS installations and had no problems.
Old fart another approach to your tank problems is presseure (even muffler) on the main tank and feed the fuel to the engine via a small (20z) header tank. Oldie but a goodie. 

Old 04-26-2013, 02:55 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

Senior Telemaster, re you converting the FG14 to methanol, I made mention elsewhere about some tests Brian Winch did with an FG20 and glo plugs ec. The article about it is in the latest editio of our Oz magazine Airborne.
Re the YS leaks, given the tank pressure developed of in excess of 10psi some blow by leakage of the check valve was considered acceptable. The early 53's had no leakage and what that system did to a plastic tank was very interesting and usually expensive. I used metal tanks in all my YS installations and had no problems.
Old fart another approach to your tank problems is presseure (even muffler) on the main tank and feed the fuel to the engine via a small (20z) header tank. Oldie but a goodie.

FG84 is the gas version of the FA450R3D radial.

I WOULD NEVER convert any engine to glow ignition. It is just so unreliable compared tp CDI. (Capactive Doscharge Ignition)

If I were to convert an FG84 to methanol it would involve swapping a 13mm glow fuel carburator, advancing the ignition timing & increasing the compression ratio.

An 84cc radial W/a healthy CR running on nitro/methanol W/CDI should make about 7-8HP. Quite a bit more than the specified 5.8HP on gasoline.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Rudolph Hart

Hi mate yes i tried the small header tank way back with mixed success.If you sidemount an 82 in the decathlon the carb to tank level is perfect,no problems and will stand violent snaps with no dramas,runs great.When the engine is mounted upside down the carb level is much lower than the tank centre line and while you can manage the situation it was never ideal from a tuning point of view.That's why i'm keen to try the cline.Cheers mate.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

WOW! 970+ pages

I fly gassers, OS 2 strokes and Saito 4 strokes. Lots of Saito 4 strokes. I have been inside at least one of each of the following and in a few cases, multiple times and multiple copies. Saito 50, 56, 80, 91, and 120

Currently have a .30 on the nose of a HOB T-6, a .56 on the front of a Sig Kadet LT-40, a .56 on the nose of a scratch built fun fly thing and I am getting ready to put an 80GK on a Pawnee. After that I will probably put the 150 on the nose of a 80" Sky raider and a 91 on some sort of profile bird.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 PM
FNQFLYER

Snr Telemaster, Hedidn't convert the engine to glo ignition he just put a glo plug in it without any of the ignition system attached and ran it.  In fact he was surprised that it continued to run AFTER he took the glo driver off.  If you can get hold of the article it makes for interesting reading.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:33 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Any small engine repair shop will have them, they are universal.

Here is a business opportunity for someone who would like a small home business that will fit in a single desk drawer, including inventory storage. Buy some from the local small engine parts dealer and run an ad or two here and there in the model press and internet.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-27-2013, 02:32 AM
Rudolph Hart

I'm thinking if you want to run any fourstroke vertical like you do in sams you would be interested in a short feed to the carby as the iron bay and cline regulators are supposed to provide.Linear fuel delivery from wo to go they say
Old 04-27-2013, 03:54 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

Snr Telemaster, Hedidn't convert the engine to glo ignition he just put a glo plug in it without any of the ignition system attached and ran it. In fact he was surprised that it continued to run AFTER he took the glo driver off. If you can get hold of the article it makes for interesting reading.
Isn't that converting to glow ignition? The engine is now ignited by a glow plug instead of spark. Now we have the disadvantages of glow ignition as well as the smell, added heat & carbon of gasoline.

In all of my experiments, converting a Saito engine from glow ignition to CDI while still burning methanol based glow fuel has resulted in a HP increases of about 6%, 300 RPM lower reiable idle, 20% better fuel economy, easier starting & better user friendliness.

I tnink that most of the problems that people experienced W/the Saito 450R3D were related to glow ignition. The FG84 will eliminate that, but the use of gasoline will reduce HP, increase engine heat dramatically & most likely result in shorter engine life due to heat & carbon.

If Saito had utilized CDI like YS does in some of their 4-stroke high performance engines, I think te FA450R3D would have been a lot more successful.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Hobbsy

Saito Gents, I have to share a little self deprecating humor here. I decided on a lark to run my old high compression ..80 with the same Bolly 13.5x6 I ran on the .65 the other day. I also mounted one of my Cline regulators and check valve. I was running a Taipan 4c plug. Right off the bat I sensed that something was wrong, it acted like it was starving for duel. I richened the HS needle way up, no change. I began to thnk regulator was clogged with castor. I removed the regulator and check valve, still no change except now it ran rich. I leaned it until it started to slow and could get no more than 9,000 rpm, should have gotten 10,000 or better. Finally the slow moving brain decided to take a look at the prop. Well, it has 13.5x8 written on it. Who'da thought that. The upshot is I'll try again tomorrow. It sure did rattle and hammer with that prop and the 15% WildCat fuel.

PS, the prop appear identical until you look at them edgewise then you can see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95054.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1876569  
Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 PM
funkymeter2003

I have an 80 GK that is on biplane I bought used. I can not get this thing running. What are the factory settings for low and high end adjustments and are there any known issues I should know about. It will run fine on the low end but when kick it up past 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it dies. Playing with the high end mixture helps a bit but it still dies on the end. thanks, jim
Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Hobbsy

If you have a metal throttle arm the LS needle goes even with the end of the carb barrel, if a plastic arm it goes about 1/16" below the flat surface of the arm, if I got the right picture this is about whee it will end up. Never fool with the needles, always have a plan. It sounds like your LS needle is too lean, that will render the HS needle ineffective. Back the LS needle out one half turn then see if you can get it to rev up. Doing it in the plane is not the best way to set up and engine.

Name:	Us53494.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1876584  
Old 04-27-2013, 02:48 PM
MAAC

Has anyone tried to add a Spectrum RPM telemetry censor to a 200Ti? If so where did you put it?
Old 04-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Hobbsy

Do you mean this guy? Thanks

Name:	Ca83093.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1876594  
Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM
MAAC

Yes but the censor that plugs into that module. Where would you mount the censor pick up on a 200Ti V Twin?
Old 04-27-2013, 04:14 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: MAAC

Yes but the censor that plugs into that module. Where would you mount the censor pick up on a 200Ti V Twin?
I don't think you can monitor glow ignition RPM.

Fortunately the 200Ti can be easily converted to spark ignition as it fires every 360°.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Rudolph Hart

Haw haw,i don't think there would be many of us who hav'nt done that if like me you have a lot of props same brand.Do you need reading glasses Dave?i started using them after running an engine on what i thought was 10% nitro,my standard mix,with some interesting results.Turns out i'd screwed the fuel pump into my sons 40% nitro car mix.Very exciting.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Hobbsy

Pete, I turned 71 yesterday and have had glasses for 30 some years. What I need is some newer ones. Do you have any Bolly's, they are great props, I have not had to balance one so far. They are great for fourstrokes because their weight lets fourstrokes idle really smooth and slow. I heard that that Bolly may be available again, that would be very good.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Rudolph Hart

Happy birthday Dave,that will be a good excuse to have a few beers for ya later today when i finish working on a new plane.Never tried a bolly prop hav'nt seen any over this way either.I'm using zingers/zoar's/mas classics/q-tips and beila's.The woods make you better at tuning the lsn on saito's i reckon.Best wishes for yesterday mate,i can hear the beer fridge calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.