Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Shockflyer Acc??????

Old 04-18-2004, 07:47 PM
whackinski
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shockflyer Acc??????

First day UPDATE
I mentioned the soft epoxy problem earlier. I coated the entire area with some 12 minuet which seemed to do the trick. I nosed in on the first flight but there was very little damage. Back to the workshop for repairs and minor adjustments. The wind was a little too high but I flew around doing a few loops, rolls, and knife edge passes. I hooked up with one of my RC buddies who is a more accomplished pilot than me, we each took 2 flights dialing in Expos and trying to hover. The motor mount came loose and flying was done for the day.
I removed all the old epoxy and re glued the aluminum mount also glued the landing gear intersection with probond. the plane is minted out now.
Can you give me some advise as to where you locate the CG for good hovering. Are you mixing the throttle and rudder for vertical flight? If so what are your settings. You mentioned putting the battery on top of the fuse for better vertical. I want to keep the battery on the bottom for a while till I get my chops back. I have laid off from flying for a while, I've been taking full time classes along with work and have no time for any fun. This has gotten me back into flying after almost 2 full years off.

Thanks Bro!!

Living up to my name
Whackinski
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45387.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	123760  
Old 04-19-2004, 09:25 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Funny you mentioned the "flying in the living room" dream. I know someone who mentions this also every time I bring up indoor R/C.

I think the title of this thread means shockflyer "accessories."

My CG is roughly at the rear of the recommended CG range for the Edge. It's not a big deal if you move it around 1/4" or so each way from there. With expo on the elevator, it's not as squirrely as you would think even behind this location. I have 50% expo on elevator, 35% on rudder and 40% on ailerons. All throws are at least 45 degrees, except for the elevator, which is now about 55 degrees. I'm not using any mixing. There does nto seem to be any roll coupling in KE flight and it holds one pretty well in either direction.

I put the battery on the top so it balances better in the vertical dimension, meaning if you hold the plane by the prop and at the rudder tip, it won't roll one way or the other. This way rolls don't have a "heavy side" as it is when all components are mounted on the bottom. The battery helps offset some of the landing gear and servo weight. I also like being able to connect the battery while the plane is stitting on it's gear.

BTW, don't use Goop on this kind of foam. The solven will eat it. I was very sparing on the UHU tube that came with the kit, and I still have some left that I use to glue the wheel pants back on when they pop off after landing in the grass a few times. I usually fly indoors though. I did cheat a little and use thin odorless CA for some assembly steps.

Is that an Ultimate Kaos in your last post? The Kaos is still my fave for overall flight. I gotta do a 3D version of that plane someday.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:33 PM
whackinski

You have a good eye Wind, That Kaos is a direct connections kit from the 1980's. I built the kit for my Cousin Patrick. He has 4 boys ranging in age from 5 to 11 so he has his hands full. He asked me to build it because he cant have any projects on the bench with his 4 human hurricanes running around. The motor is a Webra .61 speed RE with a dynamix carb. The pipe and header are matched Webra originals. I had to re-engineer the front of the fuse to be removable in order to use the original header and pipe. This is the sweetest flying plane I have ever build Pat is a great pilot but he cant understand why this plane doesnt snaproll. He wants fun fly ailerons on it. He handed me a box of crappy futaba 148's to put in the plane. I went out and bought him some decent Hitec servos, this prompted him to go out and get a JR 8103!
I love building kits almost as much as I love flying but recently it has become more economical to buy an arf. I have never scratch built a plane, but I have repaired enough planes that I am certain I can fabricate an entire aircraft.

I had my expos set to about where yours are, I first flew the ShockFlyer with the CG set to 30mm behind the leading edge. I now have it set up at 50mm but havent flown it yet. Will it be safe to fly it at 60mm or even 65mm?

Any flying secrets would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81893.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	124078  
Old 04-19-2004, 09:50 PM
wind junkie

human hurricanes, LOL, pretty funny. Nice craftsmanship on the Kaos. I can't name the latest photo though.

My shocky balances at 60 mm behind the LE with battery ready to go. It's very controllable here, and I had it further back but I like it here best. Harriers are great this way. Just use that rudder to steer it around, and you can pirouette easily turning the rudder and with a little finessing on the ailerons. Mine will spin to the gym floor and then take off again while still spiraling up or down. It's not quite a flat spin, but it's slow and looks pretty cool. I couldn't do this with a forward CG.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:25 PM
whackinski

Wind, We are haveing the most beautiful day here in NJ. I blew out of work really early and took my Shocky to (of all places) an indoor Mausoleum. I acheived my fisrt hover today, what a rush! I could only keep it upright for 1/2 of a torque roll. There was less room indoors than I thought so we took the plane outside where in light winds I tried a few more hovers. I kept getting disoriented in the hover. I need lots of practice. I oredered an new ShockFlyer Edge today so I have a backup. I can see the one I just built is going to take a real beating.

I dont see all the fuss over AXI motors, the Nippy 0808 is super, and your motor mount idea cant be beat!
Old 04-21-2004, 09:45 AM
wind junkie

That's great news Seb. I wonder how the dearly departed viewed your antics! Were they relatives? Any visitors that day?

I too have a backup shocky kit ready for the day I crash too hard one too many times.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:48 PM
JoshH37

I just ordered a shocky extrema from aero-works not sure when its to arrive but i have some time before buying engine and radio gear. I was instructed by a friend to go with the typhoon 6 and pheonix 25 setup with irate 850 mah lipo 2 cells does anyone know how this setup will work if not anyother suggestions i am not doing to hott on cash 15 no job kinda hard any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:53 PM
JoshH37

I also no NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING about electrics its like a two year old trying to read chinese or some hard language.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:10 PM
wind junkie

Josh,

I don't know a whole lot about your combo, but from what I've read it should be great.

Keep in mind, you really want the plane to come in under 8 oz. If it's over, it's not going to perform like you see the better ones in the videos.

The phoenix 25 is way more than you need for this plane (25A), but you should be able to move it to a larger motor on another plane someday, so it may be a good investment. The phoenix controllers are the smallest for their Amp ratings. The 850 size pack is also more than I'm used to, but should give you over 10 minutes of 3D action, easily. I assume you're using the 2 cell pack? I use kokam 340's on my shocky.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:57 AM
vertical ts
My Feedback: (50)

Seb,
wait till you see the the axi 2208/34 in action.Only then will you understand the pure power of this motor.Ill have to show you what it's all about.Up for any night flying under lights?

Trent
Old 04-22-2004, 02:49 PM
JoshH37

Wind,
I dont know aero-works (where I ordered shocky) said it should be here next tues. then im ordering my combo next weekend probably sunday (pay day 15 and broke) but I might just get the pheonix 10 is that cheaper lighter or what? I only have my friends opinion hes wicked smart and stuff but has a bigger pocket book than. I hear the typhoon 6 cooks lipos because it draws around 20 amps would and axi or maybe a nippo be better again i know nothing about electrics but am an experience glow flyer so me not being able to handle it isnt a problem but i would like good 3d capabilitys. What is a big weight savor if anything?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:52 PM
whackinski

What's up Trent,
I understand the AXI is the top dog. I went with the nippy because of Wind's neat aluminum motor mount. The nippy also does the job of getting the plane to hover, Plus it is a bit more economical. I will deffinately try and AXI on a future project, after I'm done crashing all the time.
Where do you guys fly under lights? I will be there! Get my cell phone number from Kenny.
Maybe you guys can give me some flying pointers.

Looking forward to it!

Seb
Old 04-22-2004, 03:27 PM
wind junkie

Josh, I must bow to your friend's advice, as I have no personal experience with the typhoon.

If it really draws 20 amps, then you do need the phoenix 25. But that seems really strange, because I DO know there are a lot of typhoon shockies out there flyng with small batteries.

I suggest going to rcgroups and searching on the typhoon motor, and maybe posting a question for the lightest setup on a shocky with the typhoon.

www.rcgroups.com
Old 04-22-2004, 03:51 PM
JoshH37

Wind,
Thanks for all your help and the link I will do.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:03 PM
sport10

The info on the Typhoon Micro 6 is false. It in no way draws 20 amps in this application. The specs say it can handle 20 amps though. It pulls around 10 to 11 amps. Work good using either Kokam 340 2S1P packs or Tanic 850 2S1P packs. Make sure to use an high discharge pack. The tanic packs can support 12 amps in 10 to 15 second burst. Use alittle throttle control and every thing will be OK. A good performing setup is too use the micro 6 and a GWS 9x4.7 prop. Just push the prop onto the shaft. There is no need for an prop adapter. There is a guy on Ezone that sell PVC mounts designed to mount the Micro 6 and AXI outrunner motors to the shockflyers. Worth a look.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:36 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

What about a Himax 2015-4100 with a Phoenix 25, and 3s1p lipolys? Not enough motor for the Shocky or would I be ok?
Old 04-23-2004, 01:57 PM
whackinski

I think thats too much motor junky, If you want the best get the AXI 2208/34 and the pheonix 10 ESC. It will fly great with a 2s 340mAh LiPo and a 9.4.7 prop. I am using the Nippy Black 0808 which works great with the jeti 8 amp esc. Now I am wishing I bought the Pheonix 10 but the plane takes off at 1/4 throttle and hovers at 1/2. The Nippy lets you use the tube mount described earlier in this thread.

YO WIND, can I use a 3s 340mAh on my setup? What do you think my battery Amp range is?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:25 PM
wind junkie

You can use 3 cells. If membory serves, I measured around 9 amps peak with 3 cells on the 0808 and 10 x 4.7. You're only drawing 7 amps at full throttle with 2 cells, and hovering around 4 amps.

It's fun, and you should try 3 cells at least once on a shocky and Nippy. It's too much for me to be accurate in our small gym though.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:42 PM
MRMcFarlandM

Hi Guys quick question form some on trying to get into this lectric stuff.
If I am Using a AXI 2208/34 motor is ther any real advantage in using one speed controller over another IE. JETI 8amp,
PHOENIX 10, or the PHOENIX 25.

or is just how much do U want to spend?

Thanks Mike,
Old 04-23-2004, 11:08 PM
wind junkie

Mike,

It's mostly weight. All the speed controllers for brushless motors seem to be within 10 or 15 bucks of each other dependinng on where you buy. The Castle creations Phoenix series are programmable. Others may be as well. I think the Phoenix 10 is perfect for a shocky and an Axi. The "10" means it will handle 10 amps, which you should never exceed with any reasonable motor on the shockflyer. If you get a higher amp speed controller, the unit will be heavier, as more or bigger transisters are needed to switch the extra current.

If you know you'll go to bigger planes later on, (which will use more current) that is a good reason to get a bigger controller, for a slight increase in weight. Otherwise, keep everythign as light as you can and as light as your wallet will allow.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:44 PM
chris77

does anyone know can i disable the soft start for the axi 2208/34 motor or will that be bad for this motor
Old 04-24-2004, 12:05 AM
whackinski

the soft start is programmed in the ESC
which controller are you using?
deffinately disable the brake and soft start
Old 04-24-2004, 12:13 AM
chris77

thanks , i'm using the jeti 08 . i know it can be programed but didn't know if it would hurt this motor. thanks again.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:48 AM
whackinski

It will not hurt the motor, heres how you program it. The Jeti comes to you with the brake on and soft start enabled, first disable the brake. With all power disconnected push the throttle lever to full, switch on the TX the power the ESC( you should have the motor and flight pac connected)
in about 5 seconds you will hear 4 beeps now pull the throttle to the closed position (quickly) you then hear 2 more beeps and the brake is disabled.
Now for the soft start; the Jeti comes with soft start enabled, follow the same procedure as above. Start with everything off, throttle to full open, turn on TX then power the ESC (system) there will be a series of beeps every 5 seconds, immediately after you hear the double beeps(the third set of beeps) quickly move the throttle to the closed position and you have just switched to Hard Start.
You will not damage your motor with hard start, the Brushless is designed to operate in this mode for aerobatic models. The instructions claim a 20% increase in amps and rpms from the same battery pack, I believe it! There was a noticeable difference in power after the change over.

Good luck Now go flying!!!
Old 04-24-2004, 07:30 PM
whackinski

LIFE IS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to work today. it was hard to keep my mind off of flying my Shocky. Every song on the radio was reminding me of flying. Chile Peppers, Music is my Aeroplane, Steve Miller Big ol'e jet airliner the list goes on and on.
I get out and it is a beautiful day but the wind is high and gusty. I went on a mission to find an indoor flying spot!
First stop,I found an abandoned warehouse with a metal roof. I didn't have to break in because one complete brick wall had fallen to the ground away from the structure. I will go back with the digital camera! The place was totaly unsafe so I bailed and continued my search.
I dropped by the school yard where I normally fly determined to find a janitor and bribe him to let me fly in their new huge gym. The place was closed, with no cars in the parking lot.
I checked the field and it was still too windy.
Last stop, on my way home I took a chance at my old High School a few towns away. I graduated form this building over 20 years ago and had the lay of the land. The building was open and people were going in and out, kids practicing different sports, you know, activity. I drove around and parked near the side entrance. The gym door was only 10 feet from my parking spot. I did a reconnaissance run without my gear, plus I was dressed like a teacher (remember I went direct from work). I didn't want to attract attention and waited till it was clear. I grabbed my TX case (TX, extra packs,Charger) 12V Gel Cel and Shocky and slipped right into the hall open one door and walk into the empty gymnasium.
JOY!!!!!!!!! I had the place to myself. I quickly setup and took the first flight. What a rush I just flew around big scale like turns the place was a lot smaller than I remember I got the feel for the room. Nobody came into the gym. Nobody said anything to me. I was there for an hour. I bashed my plane relentlessly, it just kept coming back for more and more.
After the plane was broke enough I packed up and walked out without one person seeing me or asking me if I had permission to be there. Yeah like I'm going to pick up high school chicks with my cool RC airplane! I look like professor doofus, but I accomplished my mission.
The way I see it, if you ask permission then someone could always say no.
Go find a school and go flying!!!

Enjoy my true story

BTW I have already repaired the damages and will be meeting Vertical ts for some flying lessons under the lights!!!

Get out and fly.
Whack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.