Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobby King really sucks...

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobby King really sucks...

Old 06-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hobby King really sucks...

Here goes...
I had some real disappointing customer service from Hobby King on an order for a DLE 20 they never shipped to me. I have already done a post on this issue...but now I find that their lack of integrity goes even further down the mud trail they walk. I used Western Union, at their request on my order...and I know why they requested this. With out using a credit card and using Western Union...there is now way to get your money back from this fraudulent company.

They refused to refund my money, on an order I placed six months ago, that they were not able to honor...but instead, gave me..."store credit."

After I cooled off a bit, I then tried to order items from my store credit. What I found out was that they will not use your store credit for shipping costs. In other words, you must buy items they sell to total your store credit, then pay shipping costs. You can not use your store credit for shipping...period.

Buyer beware, Hobby King has some real lousy deceptive maketing going on, and once they get your money...will not refund...period.

May the flies of 1000 camels infest their private parts...

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobby King really sucks...

Hi and jeez mate chill,always traps on both sides if you go cheaper.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:30 AM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that really bites Bro. Sorry to hear about your misfortune I know how that must feel. Next time play it safe pay for the piece of mind. Thats what I do now.

I too would have bought a DLE20 from them, but I shopped around. I know HK is all the way in china I didn't like the shipping cost from there to here and from what i've read it's a b***h to return something if there's a problem. Warrenty? forget it seriously man. Also I've read in RCU or somewhere that the company making DLE have stopped selling their engines though companies like HK who make the prices very low (for price control) so what ever stock HK had is all they are going to have and no more after that.

When I considered all of this and the fact that I could get the same engine from towerhobbies not to mention the discount that I get with the tower coupons and that the price difference was only a few dollars I figured best go with tower. I ended up paying about 210 or 220 for the engine. From that time on when ever I see something from HK that I like, I shop around and see if there is a US supplier that has the same thing at or near the same price as it would cost to ship from china..

Usually I can find just what I'm looking for and a pretty darn good deal. I look at HK then tower in that, order then look else where
(only because of towers discounts. I always work with the discount coupons in mind-cheap though it may make me seem, it keeps me smiling) .

Tower doesnt seem to give their customers very much trouble.. at least not with me.
I've gotten refunded for errors they have made as of this week to the tune of over $250 for an error they made and it took just a phone call.

For me? I'd pay for the piece of mind I get with companies like tower or any other reptuable US supplier at least they kind of Have to be honest by virtue of being in the USA (no one likes law suits right?)
at least its what I think anyway.

Chuck it up to experience man Don't stay angry too long just get some air time.

I think I can totally get how you feel though that does suck balls!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:05 AM
jzrf6c

All I can say is that I've used them, HK, for years. I've never had a problem like you described. I have gotten some bad (useless actually) parts but for the cost I just throw them away. My bad. I always use PAYPAL when dealing with anyone on the NET. I does not take a genuis to figure that if you send someone money - it's your BAD ! All you can hope for is that you get the product. That's the way of the world today.

Yes HK has increased their shipping, but hasn't everyone? Unless you live close to your LHS places like HK will alway provide a needed service.

Learn from your lesson and never send cash.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Bob Paris

Hay jzrf6c,
This was my only second buy from them, and the first buy went with out any problems. I receivced my first engine and it arrived in the time expected. I will never buy from China again and Hobby Kings business attitude and the way they do business needs to be told to the hobby world. Using Western Union was my first time to any seller in any business, but was done at Hobby Kings request. I had always in the past used just one credit card for all my hobby buys, but this taught me that this was a very bad way to do business. As to my bad...where did I go bad...buying from them? Business standards are just what they are, and this company has no standard, unless you count the money in their pockets as a standard. This company lists items they know they can't sell as "back ordered" and then once they have your money, refuse to refund. No where on their web site do they state...no refunds. Now I also know that once they get your money, and they give you store credit...you also have to come up with extra funds for shipping and refuse to use your store credit for shipping costs. Yep, it max's out their store earnings, but to me, is seriously shows a huge lack of integrity. I will never do business with them again, and I've done business with just about every hobby company that advertises on RCU, one way or another. I've never treated like this before, and this just shows you who these people are.

I've used Tower Hobbies for over 20 years, with out one problem...ever that they didn't fix or honor the deal. Hobby King doesn't honor the deal, or any standard of doing business in today's world. You can be a snake or you can be up front and honest...Hobby King has a few more scales on their belly then I care to deal with.
Bob Paris
Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 AM
outdoorhunting

Yeah, save a buck here. save a buck there. It all adds up. Don't you guys get it???? Ya get what ya pay for !!! Ya buy something from China & the part is no good, throw it away. It was cheap anyhow !!! I guess I'm old fashioned, but I'll keep buying here in the states. It's bad enough now, but if we keep buying that crap & letting them get away with ripping us off. Guess what, ya deserve to be ripped off. How many U.S. jobs do we have to lose to make us wake up??? If we refused to buy from them, that would give a market for the stuff in the states. With unemployment over 9 %, how many of those jobs are taken from us by China ?? It won't be long,we'll be a 3rd world country.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:02 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in no way trying to make ammends for them, but most companies will not allow store credit to be used for shipping. It is STORE credit - which means that it must be spent in the store.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 AM
shaggy48

Gotta agree that really sucks! They should let you use your credit period.
Chalk it up to a lesson learned. I've purchased from them twice once using pay pal and once using a credit card. Never had trouble but I still don't trust them. Using a method of payment that does not provide some way to get your money back in case of fraud is foolish. Won't western union refund your money? What they did sounds like fraud to me.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:16 PM
JimmyZep

There's no way its the customers fault, ya he should have used a card but still
he should get exactly what he ordered in a reasonable amount of time.

If not a full refund is due unless the CUSTOMER wants store credit.

Its completely wrong to say anything else.

Jimmy
Old 06-10-2011, 04:19 PM
opjose

How many threads have been started on this one incident?

Bob don't buy from them if you want. We get it, you're mad.

Meanwhile I'll keep getting things at less expense from HK.

Outdoorhunting :

Unfortunately even if you purchase things "in the U.S." most items ( with exceptions ) are Asian made.

That said I gladly paid $465.00 for a 30cc Syssaircraft engine, versus $210.00 for an HK one because the former is definitely manufactured in the U.S.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Bob Paris

Ok opjose,

This is my seceond time I've brought this up at RCU. And after trying to get my funds out of that company with out any solution, I tried to spend the funds on account. When they refused to use the money they took from me for shipping charges, well, that kind of ruffled my tail feathers a bit more.

I never canceled my engine order from them, H.K. canceled it. Then after canceling the order, refused to refund my money. No where on their web site do they state "no refunds." I've looked...and charging me for shipping when I had funds on account, is just a bit over the top for me. And yea...this last bit about not being able to use my money they had, was the trigger for this new thread.

I've worked and lived in China, and no where was I ever treated like this. Its not how folks do business in Asia...accept Hobby King. Once they get your money, your never going to see it again.

Buy the way...RCU pulled my first thread...I wonder why?

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 PM
radius1x1

Gotta agree with Outdoorhunting, support your own country and send a strong message to china B.S. Some of you just don't get it; if you buy chinese manufactured parts from an AMERICAN company here in the US, at least some of your money goes through the AMERICAN economy first with all kinds of benefits for Americans. I'll gladly pay an extra buck or two for the benefit of America; what the heck, plenty of brave men and women are paying with there lives overseas!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Relax you get to live in Lahaina!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:52 AM
RACJ

I agree with Mr.Paris and am glad he started second thread on the shipping funds issue. Was not some of the money sent( now being kept against his wishes) for the DLE engine for shipping??? Why can he not apply funds he sent for shipping towards shipping on this order?? I'm going thru the same thing with another Chinese company for electric motor backordered and warrenty issue on one just received. I can't even get a response to my very polite emails. I think Chinese have watched our American companys rip us off,cry and whine until they are bailed out by the American Taxpayer,and then go right back ripping us off and throwing parties to celebrate. Chinese say,hey this looks good to us,lets ride the same gravy train.[:'(]
Old 06-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Bob Paris

I
Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Bob Paris

Ok Guys,
I have said what I needed and its over for me. I buy 85% of my hobby goods from U.S. hobby dealers and I'm not making excuses for buying direct from China. No matter where I buy from, I need to pay shipping. Its getting cheaper to buy directly from China and pay for EMS shipping, then using the postal service, or one of the air freight guys. This year, air shipping to Hawaii has doubled, by Fed-X and UPS-and the post office ain't any better. To get a .60's ARF here, cost nearly 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the model. The larger you go, the more expensive it gets, just to get it here. That is a reality for folks in Hawaii, Alaska and Guam. Buying an engine for $198.00 from China, or $280.00 from a U.S. supplier gets me looking into budget I live with...and how I can get the best bang for my buck. Tower gets most my funds anyway, and I've been dealing with them for over 20 years. One of the best hobby companies out there, period.

So let me up date you to what has happened with all my communications with Hobby King. I was on the computer with them again, this time in a chat with one of the Customer service guys, named Ricky. A nice and very polite gentalman. He informed me that he spoke to their managment, and that if I would buy hobby goods from their U.S. warehouse-with my on account funds, he would wave all shipping costs to Hawaii. So I picked up two RCG 20 gassers for what I had on account with them, plus an added $54.00 for the extra cost of the second engine. I was told it will arrive next week. True not a DLE 20...but something that will work for me. The issue is resolved.

I went on line with these folks and was direct. I was polite...but firm. Maybe I made sense to someone...and that changed everything. What they do in the future, I don't know. But I also told them that it wasn't good business, to show items for sale...they know they will never sell again, or there will be a very long delay in having them in stock. I felt it showed deception on their part, and that holding on to funds the way they did with me was not good at all. Get a reputation for not being honorable...and you will go out of business.

This hobby is as much word of mouth, as it is for advertisers that pay buck$ for it. Word gets around very quickly about companies and products. Screw a few to many modelers...and your screwed yourself out of business. This is how I see it and we are getting hamered hard enough here as it is, by the folks in D.C., the banks and the oil cartel. So I'll be damned, if I'm going to take it any more from anyone else...enough is enough.

Buy the way...I'm retired military. Helicopters...CWO U.S.Army w/two tours in South East Asia.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

I
Old 06-12-2011, 02:51 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

HK should have done at least that without all of the effor on your part. Thanks for your service to our country.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:58 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

As opposed to telling you again that I have had great servace with HK , let me tell you what I did after reading your first post .
I went onto the HK site started a post on terminology of "back order" out of stock and discontined .
I wanted the mangt of HK to aknowledge the fact that many times they say "out of stock" or back order when they know 100% that they will not be in stock or they will receive a differant brand .
The responce in a very arrogant manner from one of the owner/forum moderators was " We were not clear from our communication from DLE that they would not continue to provide us with DLE" . While I do believe this because its in the export business model to promise one company exclusive agreements and not close the door on a past agreemnet until the new company proves themselves.
I responded "how can Hobby King one of the largest exporter in the world not know that the deal with DLE and Hobbico? In addition I gave him countless other examples where HK says backorder on Jets , Turnegy motors , esc ect knowing the brand is no longer available and you will be shipped a differant model .
He agreed that he would change terminology and policy on backorder/out of stock vs discontinued .
lastly , use Hobby King the way I do , no customer servace expectation , nothing but bought on value to price relationship.
Visit the site often and you will see first reviews on product when they are nagative , if you wait to long the negative reviews are removed .
You have to be patient , never order first , wait when it comes to items that may be questionable .
Example , unknown gas engines , eletric motors , esc ect with no reviews.
I would but any plane with zero reviews knowing that I can replace the sevos ect , I wont buy expensive ducted fan jets (note I said expensive ) because most have non-removable fans that are unbalanced and will explode .
One of the best values is a $139 A-10 , best small jet I ever bought .
Bottom line be patient , never ever ORDER OUT OF STOCK , EVER !!!!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:07 AM
el_xero

ORIGINAL: JimmyZep

There's no way its the customers fault, ya he should have used a card but still
he should get exactly what he ordered in a reasonable amount of time.

If not a full refund is due unless the CUSTOMER wants store credit.

Its completely wrong to say anything else.

Jimmy

I'm with you on that there buddy! I think you've nailed it. Sorry guys but I can't help to think that some of us are kinda missing the main point really. this isn the customers bad its the suppiler. Yes the customer can't do anything about it except chuck it up to experience however I totally understand why he needs to vent and warn others who may make that mistake. Its good to be informed. I wouldnt hammer the customer on here. If you read what he says and if what he says is 100% true then he WAS ripped off. His order was 1) cancelled not by him 2) his money not refunded (I've dealt with companies who cancel my order but they contact me and ask what I would like to be done) 3) he didn't send them money via western union by his own accord they requested and given the "great rep" hobby king has all over forms all over the web why wouldnt he send the money that way? if tower asked me to do that I probably would witout thinking because I "know" they have a great rep. Come on guys take it easy, as far as i can see here the customer isnt at fault in this.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:13 AM
el_xero

ORIGINAL: bps

HK should have done at least that without all of the effor on your part. Thanks for your service to our country.

AMEN to that!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:25 AM
LDM

no one is saying its his fault , at least I am not . My issues is that HK plays with terms that we define differantly . The only way to prevent this from happening again is doing something about it .If you really care , go to HK site and ***** , complaing on RCU will do 100% nothing .
Why , because this hobby , if you have not noticed is 90% price value and 10% quality . sure we all want the best , but we dont want to pay for it ,
so you can complane all day long on RCU and RC groups and you will impact HK =nada , nothing , not even a blip , they will continue to steam along .
Go to there site , start a post , copy and paiste there responce in RCU , then people can see what and how they respond .
I am platimum member with them and I complaned on Bobs behalf , i got nowhere , but did impact a supposed policy change .
All I am saying is take the time , write and post to the people that started this problem , if anything you will anoy them enought and just maybe with enought post they will do the right thing on Bob behalf .
Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Bob Paris

Here is the shipping order from Hobby King that I just received. As you can see the two engines are on the way to me.

LDM
Thank you for your help and for contacting Hobby King, in my behalf. I was tempted to order that A-10, but I'm not into jets, so ordered what I really needed. I just pray that the RCG 20 turn out to be as good as the RCG 26 is and work for me.

My best to all of you this Fathers Day,
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

HOME Account Arrivals Support Contact About Us Hobby Blog

Payment for the order #2002693786 was accepted.

Order: 2002693786
Name: Robert Paris
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 1-808-669-1931
Address: 19 Kohulike Way - 96761 - HI - US
Comments:
Payment: VISA / MASTERCARD (No Paypal) + $0.55
Shipment: USPS Parcel Post 5-6Day 1cent Shipping US-PP $0.01
Discount: Bonus points: $272.67
Taxes: $0.00
Total: $56.33

HobbyKing
[email protected]

International Phone Support: +86 75582157051 9AM-6PM Mon-Sat
Should you have an issue with any of our products or service,
please contact our 24hr Support Centre.

To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list. Log in to your account at HobbyKing.com to remove or update your email preferences.
Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails at HobbyKing.com!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my DLE engine from ValleyViewRC and I'm very happy with it. They have a good customer service record and when/if you call - an American who speaks ENGLISH answers the phone and actually TALKS to you.

Yes, the engine was about $10 or $20 more expensive than buying it from overseas. It was worth the peace of mind.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:48 PM
LDM

You do know you can get it from Tower right , they all speak english at Tower if that is your main concern lol . If you grow up with parents that do not speak good english , you learn a few things .1)dont judge people based on how they speak , my parents were the hardest working Americans I have ever met . 2)You learn to listen ,and someday when you find a home in sales , listening is very rare for a saleman , so you end up makeing a high level 6 figure income , because you learned to really listen to people and what they say vs how they say it .
I wish everyone the best in this hobby and the best in your purchases , this from a guy with a mob-philli accent !!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: LDM

You do know you can get it from Tower right , they all speak english at Tower if that is your main concern lol . If you grow up with parents that do not speak good english , you learn a few things .1)dont judge people based on how they speak , my parents were the hardest working Americans I have ever met . 2)You learn to listen ,and someday when you find a home in sales , listening is very rare for a saleman , so you end up makeing a high level 6 figure income , because you learned to really listen to people and what they say vs how they say it .
I wish everyone the best in this hobby and the best in your purchases , this from a guy with a mob-philli accent !!!!

You knew exactly what I was talking about, so can it with the garbage about language. Let's not play semantics - we're both big boys.

As far as buying it from Tower..... I'd rather spend my money with ValleyView. I'll support the small mom & pop outfit with personal service - over the big corporate animal that gobbles up every mom & pop outfit that ever comes along.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.