Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Vectorflight Edge 540 build

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Vectorflight Edge 540 build

Old 01-18-2005, 07:46 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Vectorflight Edge 540 build

Gary
Boy you really got the front of her standing up tall and proud now! Looks Great! I am running a 15X6 APC on my 100, and it has pretty good clearence, but I also have a 16X4Wide APC that I would like to try sometime, and it cuts it pretty close. I have a new set of .60 size Great Planes Aluminum Landing gear laying here that I ordered for something and never used. I am thinking about making it work on the VF for when I want to use the bigger prop, and just keeping my VF gear stock for when I run the 15x6 prop. I new some of that stuff I had bought for no reason would come in handy someday.

Speakin of stuff I bought for no reason! I got your address, and I will drop that thing in the mail this morning. Just keep it! I don't see me buying a JR anytime soon! LOL
Old 01-18-2005, 10:07 AM
ckangaroo70

Well I just finished tinting my canopy this morning. Turned out pretty well. I put on a light coat of Black die on the inside, and then went over top of that with a light coat of LustreKote True Red. Gives the canopy a nice red tint when out in the sun. Looks rather neat in my opinion. Hard to see the red tint in the photos though, but it is there when you view the Plane in the right sunlight. I decided to tint the canopy instead of installing the pilot, because I may decide to add a couple extra ounces elsewhere like laminating the joiners with a 1/8" piece of Birch Ply just for a little added security. So it is kind of a weight trade off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40047.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	216945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77637.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	216946  
Old 01-18-2005, 10:21 AM
ez2bgman
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking canopy Ray. There is one more thing that I will probably do to the landing gear. I made a wire strut between the two legs to keep them from flattening out. I'm still thinking about this one, but I may use something like a fishing leader and tie the two legs together with that. I saw one of our club members do that to his profile planes to prevent the landing gear from flattening out. That is my only concern. They appear stiff enough, but like you, I would rather have a bit more security.

As far as the joiners go. I inspected mine and they are holding up fine. I may 'glass them for the added security though. I really don't want to add any more weight, but I know a little bit won't hurt with the power that I have up front.

Talk to you guys later. Gotta get back to patrolling.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Excellent job on the canopy Ray. You and Gary are talking about adding to the joiners. Let me pose a thought or two on that subject.

1. The joiners are already installed. You cannot add any strength to the joiner inside the wing, only outside. It seems to me that the spot of greatest stress would be the point where the joiners leave the wing.

2. Also, adding laminate or glass may increase the thickness of the joiner assembly, causing you to have to enlarge wing joiner holes in the fuse, thereby weakening the fuse structure as well.

With the choices of motors you both have, weight is not a big issue. I can understand your concern over the integrity of your current setup. Just wanted to throw some ideas around.

Later.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:47 AM
IShootSharpStix

Gary. At one point you mentioned that you may be changing from your solid struts on the tail feathers to flying wires. If you buy the Sullivan flying wires kit, there is plenty of extra wire and components you could use to stabilize the landing gear. They also include Kevlar thread which could be used as well. I am planning on using some of the extra wire to tighten up my Extra's landing gear as well. By the way, your flight reports have been awesome.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:48 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

I can agree with Primdous on this one. Im not going to be fiberglassing the joiner, maybe just a real thin coat of epoxy or CA. Seems like the issue was that micro cracks may have formed in the joiners during shipping or something. By putting a light coat of epoxy would help those micro cracks from getting bigger. And there isn't a whole lot of room where the joiners and the hole in the fuse is. Dont want to hack up the fuse anymore. Me I like to build light. The lighter plane just flys 20 times better. All the extra epoxy is adding srength but, also adding weight. Granted with a powerhouse of a 120 up front dont think there will be any issue. Then you gotta put in the weight of the motor and stuff so the wingloading could start adding up fast.
Mine built in 8lbs that is very lightweight and i would like to leave it like that.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:50 AM
rcfury

I can second the extra wire from the flying wires kit. I have so much extra wire left dont know what to do with it. You can have my left overs if you want?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:51 AM
ez2bgman

Good point there Luke. I hadn't thought about having to possibly enlarge the fuselage holes where the joiners meet. I guess I'll leave the joiners alone and periodically check them for any signs of weakness. Since I soaked the edges in thin CA prior to final assembly, I think they will be fine. The CA wicked in there pretty good. It should help keep the plys laminated together.

Later...
Old 01-18-2005, 11:56 AM
ez2bgman

Thanks for the offer on the wire guys. Actually, come to think about it I have a brand new Dubro Heavy Duty pull pull setup that I haven't used. I can always use that wire for both my tail and the landing gear. The wire is plastic coated and the setup comes with clevises and threaded rod. I will just have to make some mounting brackets. I may look into the cost of the Sullivan flying wire kit. But chances are that I will just use the pull pull kit I have sitting on the shelf.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 PM
ckangaroo70

I got my canopy back on and decided to do a little trim work on the Plane. I am always trying different designs on my Planes, and 50% of the time I like them when I am done, and 50% of the time I don't, and will remove it. This particular design I am pretty happy with. I bridged the White Panels on the Wings on over across the nose of the Plane. I then made a spider web design out of red trim tape, and within the web are the letters VF. It gives the Plane a little individuality I think. I will have to sleep on this design a couple days to know whether it will stay. Just wish my photo had turned out a little better!

Name:	Ge96565.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	217022  
Old 01-18-2005, 12:47 PM
ckangaroo70

Actually what I plan to do to the joiner is not going to add any thickness to it. My dad is a Cabinet Maker and is going to add birch ply bicuits in the joiner just where they come through the sides only. About 2" slots will be cut running Horizontal with a biscuit jointer. The biscuit will run the oppisite way of the grain creating 2 bullet proof spots in the joiner in the most vulnerable spot. With this method you are not removing any stock from the joiners except for the 1/8 slot the jointer creates to insert the bicuit. The bicuit will be inserted with 30 minute epoxy, and then sanded down flush like the dowels are that were used during assembly. Now with this said, I would not recommend this mod to anyone else. Just following the manufacturers instructions, and soaking the joiner with CA. or coating with epoxy would probally work just fine, and you would probally never have a problem. The reason I don't recommend my way is because if a joiner were to fail, and you followed the manufacturers instructions to a T, they would probally be more likely to make things right with you. If you have a joiner failure after doing this mod, and something happens, then the Manufacturer could NOT be held accountable due to the fact that you tampered with the joiner in a way that was not recommended by the Manufacturer. So this is a do at my own risk mod. My joiner will look just like everyone elses, except there will be 2 sanded down flush biscuits installed horizontally on each side.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:52 PM
ez2bgman

Ray, I see that I am not the only one constantly tinkering with my plane. Like you, I am constantly making minor changes and then changing it back or to something different.

One thing I forgot to mention on my flight report. During the cleanup after the two flights, I noticed the checkerboard covering on the leading edge of the left elevator half starting to peel back. I looked at it real good last night and had to end up cutting about 1/4 of the covering off. Too much dirt and oil got under it and it could not be ironed back down. I was able to cut an almost perfect match and recovered the elevator half. I ensured that it was well sealed really well this time. I was able to get such a close match on the checkerboard that even I have to look hard to find the seam. Thats one thing that I really like about the checkerboard covering: if you can match it up, the seam is next to impossible to notice.

Later guys....
Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 PM
ckangaroo70

You are right Gary. I can't never leave well enough alone. I always got to be adding something, or changing something even if it is perfectly fine to begin with. I need to order me another VF edge just so I can try this scheme in the photo below! I don't think mine would quite turn out looking like this though! I not quite that talented.LOL

Name:	Om34001.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	217046  
Old 01-18-2005, 01:15 PM
ckangaroo70

Oh by the way! What do you think he is running in that Plane in the Photo above? Maybe a Saito 3000, with Futaba or JR full scale servos? I would sure hate to have to buy Nitro Fuel for it!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Primodus

Tried the 14x7MAS 3 blade today. Easy ground clearance. Zero loss of performance versus the 15x8MAS 2 blade, yet it slowed it down a little more on landing. Not really anough flight time for a good report, just a fast hop and a couple of slow passes before landing. I am hoping to get a bit more flight time in by the weekend with a full report on the changes.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:47 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: Primodus

Tried the 14x7MAS 3 blade today. Easy ground clearance. Zero loss of performance versus the 15x8MAS 2 blade, yet it slowed it down a little more on landing.
AWESOME! I will be looking forward to hear more about how the 3 blade performs! I really like the looks of the 3 Blades over the two. Keep us informed Luke!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:13 PM
ez2bgman

Oh, c'mon Ray. I know you have the talent to pull off a scheme like that full scale Edge. In fact I believe that you can accomplish this with Vinyl covering...LOL

Glad to hear the 3 blade had no performance loss that you noticed on your shop flight. Try to really wring her out and let us know how the 3-blade stacks up against a conventional prop in the tougher manuevers.

Later.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Primodus

The only move I tried on my short hop was a couple of back to back snap rolls. I have to say it moved through them both without missing a beat. The vertical performance was still out of sight, but I think some of that is still the big 120 flexing it's muscles. Landing it still a problem for me on this plane as it likes to float alot. I have flaperons setup, and I will try them out next go 'round to see if they can help me get it down softer.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:58 PM
ckangaroo70

I weighed my my Plane today, and am overjoyed to report that it weighs in at 8lbs 8oz Ready To Fly minus fuel. This is according to my very accurate Zebo Fish Deliar Scale! I am thrilled with that number! I look back now on my two very short flights, and this may have something to do with why the Plane seemed light on its toes, because I was expecting it to have alot heavier feel. I am celebrating with a nice cold brew!............................................. .................. Don't worry Gary, I'm not driving anywhere today. Just sitting here in front of the CPU celebrating! The only thing I will be driving is my Extra 300 on RealFlight G2. Can't get no DUI doing that unless they just passed a new law I havn't heard about. LOL
Old 01-18-2005, 06:50 PM
rcjon

Ray,

>>8lbs 8oz Ready To Fly minus fuel. This is according to my very accurate Zebo Fish Deliar Scale!<<

Well, by Gawd you can't argue with one of 'em - 'ey rite on! <g>

And you have the Saito 100, right?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:00 PM
ez2bgman

Well guys,

I have some bad news to share. Without notice, we lost our field. The owner of the property informed our club president that the field is going to be used as a dump for concrete. He mentioned that we may be able to relocate to another are of the property once the dump is setup. But for the time being, we lost a field that had some of the most airspace. The property was being surveyed the other day by a crew and they booted one of our members out. They even took down our signs. We had to take the covered pit area down as well.

On a plus side, one of my buddies is the president at the other field I fly at occasionally. He has extended an offer for us to use his field until this is all situated. His field is the one I flew at on Sunday. While it has a nice pit area and fairly smooth runway, the field is bordered by trees on 2 sides and powerlines across the street from us. While they fly all manner of aircraft there, even large scale, it can get a bit hairy trying to drop down over the lines or the trees to land. But as we all know: beggars can't be choosers. Besides, the atmosphere at this field is excellant. All the club members are very eager and willing to help one another.

Gotta run for now. Later.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:06 PM
rcfury

Man everyone posts so quick. I think that was like 10 posts since i last logged on.
Anyway mother nature was telling me something today. Everything went wrong. I wanted to get the plane outside (fuse only) so I can start up the 100 for the first time. Brought everything out in the freezing weather.. Well 33 deg. felt freezing. Put my midwest tail trap firmly in the ground to hold the plane down when breaking it in. I filled her up and noticed all this fuel coming out from my "fieldbox from hell" Drat!!! one of the fuel lines developed a large hole.. Replaced the line and finishing fueling the tank (as i watch the grass die). Get it filled up, might I add almost 5 minutes, 16oz is a huge tank. I position the field box to the front of the plane so i can hook up the glow plug and stretch out the starter wire. I put the starter cone on the spinner then it stops. The bananna plug i used to connect the starter broke. I guess the freezing weather made the solder joints brittle. I go inside and resolder the connector. Back out and ready to start the plane again. I start the motor sounds beautifull. Oh man the sound of the puuuuuuuuuuuuurr.. I advance the throttle to about 4000k, then SNAAAAAAP!!!! The weld from the midwest tail trap breaks loose. At this time im like Oh Sh**t the plane quickly lunges forward right into the side of the house. The prop brakes and the spinner turns into swiss cheese. I dont think there is any structure damage to the fuse but i have the fuel tank and all the electronics out of the plane to throughly inspect the frame. I didn't even have enough time to pull back on the throttle. So thats my story. Guess my maiden wont be for a while now. Gotta order a new prop from the hobbyshop and a new spinner from tru-turn.
So how was everyone elses day?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:29 PM
ckangaroo70

Gary,
That really sucks about your Flying Field. I sure hope your Club is able to get things straightened out. Sounds like no one bothered to give you guys much notice. Real sorry to hear about it. Your welcome to come fly at my Club, if you wanna drive 12 Hours.

RC
WOW! Sometimes a guy wanders why he even bothered to get out of bed. I have had lots of those days where nothing can go smooth. It sounds like you had some real rotten luck! Hope the Plane wasn't hurt aside from the Spinner and Prop. Hope tommorrow brings better things for you.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:32 PM
rcjon

rcfury,

What a bummer. Thankfully you weren't injured when the tail trap broke. And thankfully the plane wasn't torn all up.

Gary,

More bad news - the field. Our club is fortunate to have a great field that the Industrial Authority allows us to use. But we are at the mercy of the IA, if an industry wants the site, we're gone. There seems to be two camps in the club, one camp espouses gloom and doom (The IA is going to kick us off any day.") and another camp that believes we are safe for quite a while.

I'd be nervous flying where I had to negotiate obstructions to make the approach. Hard to judge the distance that the plane is away.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Primodus

Gary, Sorry to hear about your field problems. I hope you all get it worked out to your liking. As for flying around obstacles, I feel your pain.[] At least the other field is backing you all up. Good to have a network like that.[8D]

rcfury, Glad your OK, but sorry to hear your plane is broken. Have you considered constructing a rudementary test stand? I also found out the hard way about breaking 'em in on the plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.