Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New CMP Cessna 182 .52 size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New CMP Cessna 182 .52 size

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM
DSTIEBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New CMP Cessna 182 .52 size

Damon: I won't get this plane finished until spring. I am taking my time to do it right with more heavy duty parts than came with the Cessna 182 model .50. I still don't know if the OS FS 81-a will fit the cowl so I have not bought the engine yet. I'll have to do the measuring from the OS spects and center of the fuselage and add a extra pushrod to the rudder. I will post the throws but don't know when. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:11 PM
damon

ORIGINAL: DSTIEBS

Damon: I won't get this plane finished until spring. I am taking my time to do it right with more heavy duty parts than came with the Cessna 182 model .50. I still don't know if the OS FS 81-a will fit the cowl so I have not bought the engine yet. I'll have to do the measuring from the OS spects and center of the fuselage and add a extra pushrod to the rudder. I will post the throws but don't know when. Thanks.
I am using an OS FL 70 four stroke. The rocker cover sits well out of the cowl & the cowl has to be trimmed to accomodate some of the cooling fins on the top of the engine. It doesn't look bad, but I assume an 80 would require more trimming of the cowl. Thanks for the throws when you get them.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:26 AM
DSTIEBS

Damon: Thanks for that info. I guess I will go with the OS 56FS-a being that it is a little shorter and invert it if I have to cut the cowl. I am told it has plenty of power for this plane. I will post some pics when it is done and the Throws I used. I will also use some mixing with the flaps and elevator. I have gone back to the beginning of these threads and read them over again and pick up some great information from you guys. Thanks. I feel this plane will see a lot of flights. It is a Beauty and I hope it will stay that way. Dave...
Old 09-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: damon

Recommendations on control throws? Please let me know.

thanks.
damon, these were posted earlier on the thread.

Throws were per instructions.
expo ail 20%
Elevator 10%
Rudder 5%
Old 09-03-2008, 06:26 PM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

Just my $.02 but on every plane I maiden I set high rates on all control surfaces for maximum deflection and use 50% expo. Low rates are set to 60% of high rates and 25% expo. I always take off on low rates and switch to high rates ONLY if I find I need more control. I seldom make any changes to the setup after maiden. I usually fly on low rates until I want to do aerobatics. Do a quick flip to high rate and I'm all set. This works well for me regardless of the aircraft design.

Joe
Old 09-05-2008, 03:39 PM
zener3

Hi, Just bought a used one yesterday. I have the servos in and everything ready to go to the field tomorrow. I have a a .61 evolution and installed the Hobart front strut already.

I am concerned about he cg. I will start at 68 mm and see how it flies. I'll keep it hot for the first couple flights till I get comfortable with it.

Does anyone have a manual they can scan for me, or know of a link to the .pdf version?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 PM
damon

ORIGINAL: zener3

Hi, Just bought a used one yesterday. I have the servos in and everything ready to go to the field tomorrow. I have a a .61 evolution and installed the Hobart front strut already.

I am concerned about he cg. I will start at 68 mm and see how it flies. I'll keep it hot for the first couple flights till I get comfortable with it.

Does anyone have a manual they can scan for me, or know of a link to the .pdf version?

Thanks
Post some pictures of your bird when you get a chance.

thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 12:57 PM
zener3

OK, well, apparently I screwed up somewhere. I took the plane to the field today and got it ready. Double checked all my throws and controls. Engine ran perfectly. did the range check, all ok.
Started my takeoff roll, no flaps, started to rotate and the plane pitched to the left and made a really low left hand curve to the fence and crashed... I tried to aileron it back right when it happened but it didn't seem to have any effect on the bank. Crosswind of about 5 - 8 mph

Post mordem - , all control surfaces still worked and all operated in the proper direction and throw. CG of the plane was at ~68 mm and was double checked at the field.

Several of us at the field speculated that I must not have had enough airspeed when I attempted to take off in the crosswind. This plane has relatively small airfoils compared to the trainers I am used to flying.

*****************8 The story doesn't end there! ************************

I put this wreck away, and got my sig Kadet Sr. out so that I could enjoy part of the morning anyway. This plane is 72 mhz and I usually have to share the 46 pin with another pilot at the field. He and I joke with one another and we enjoy watching each others planes. Anyway, I got the pin from him and fueled my sig, got her in the air and was flying for about 5 minutes when it suddenly started acting bad. I had control , then not, up, down, everywhere. Well, I don't need to explain what happened. The other fellow got his battery changed and brought his plane back out to the flightline.[&o]

We both brought the pieces of both wrecked planes back to the bench, packed up, and went home... He is having the new plane delivered to my house.

I'll order another 182 ARF and salvage the parts from this one. Any help, comments, suggestions would be welcome before I attempt to fly it again.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 01:05 PM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

Zener please check your PM's !!

Also, sounds like not enough speed and the classic tip stall. You need to use your rudder when this happens, ailerons will only make the situation worse. Good luck on your next try !! I have one on the way, probably going to put it on floats, and it will be electric powered
Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 PM
DSTIEBS

Zener3: I have heard of bad luck but that is is really some bad luck. Sorry to hear this. Have you or anyone else reading this reply setup the lighting system for this plane and have any recommdations on a system to use. I want to install the landing and Navagation lights and would like some input. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 PM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: DSTIEBS

Zener3: I have heard of bad luck but that is is really some bad luck. Sorry to hear this. Have you or anyone else reading this reply setup the lighting system for this plane and have any recommdations on a system to use. I want to install the landing and Navagation lights and would like some input. Thanks.
I have absolutely no intentions of flying mine at night but I just bought a second Curtek lighting system (no longer in production) and may put a set in the Cessna just because it would look so good. If no one comes to your rescue (with brands that are still on the market) I'll try to dig up some links of lighting vendors for you.

Joe
Old 09-06-2008, 10:51 PM
DSTIEBS

Thanks Joe. I just looked up the curtek nav system. It looks like a good system. If I am not mistaken this has a computer aided flashing system. It is to bad I can't get one unless I accidently come across one. Thanks, Dave.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Tracon

This is where I got my system from guys:

http://www.ncweb.com/biz/dan/RCLights.html

Sam
Old 09-07-2008, 12:58 PM
DSTIEBS

Thanks for that info. I checked them out and looks good. Thanks again. Dave.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 AM
zener3

OK, well, apparently I screwed up somewhere. I took the plane to the field today and got it ready. Double checked all my throws and controls. Engine ran perfectly. did the range check, all ok.
Started my takeoff roll, no flaps, started to rotate and the plane pitched to the left and made a really low left hand curve to the fence and crashed... I tried to aileron it back right when it happened but it didn't seem to have any effect on the bank. Crosswind of about 5 - 8 mph

Post mordem - , all control surfaces still worked and all operated in the proper direction and throw. CG of the plane was at ~68 mm and was double checked at the field.

Several of us at the field speculated that I must not have had enough airspeed when I attempted to take off in the crosswind. This plane has relatively small airfoils compared to the trainers I am used to flying.

*****************8 The story doesn't end there! ************************

I put this wreck away, and got my sig Kadet Sr. out so that I could enjoy part of the morning anyway. This plane is 72 mhz and I usually have to share the 46 pin with another pilot at the field. He and I joke with one another and we enjoy watching each others planes. Anyway, I got the pin from him and fueled my sig, got her in the air and was flying for about 5 minutes when it suddenly started acting bad. I had control , then not, up, down, everywhere. Well, I don't need to explain what happened. The other fellow got his battery changed and brought his plane back out to the flightline.[&o]

We both brought the pieces of both wrecked planes back to the bench, packed up, and went home... He is having the new plane delivered to my house.

I'll order another 182 ARF and salvage the parts from this one. Any help, comments, suggestions would be welcome before I attempt to fly it again.

Thanks
Last night I stripped the C-182 plane to get ready for the new one to arrive. The fuel tank stopper had come out when the plane crashed. I noticed that whoever built this plane didn't use regular fuel line on the clunk line. Instead it looks like ordinary plastic line and had a split in it for the first cm or two on the stopper end. I wonder if the plane lost power on takeoff. I tested it with full power before flying but the G-force can only be tested on the runway. I was concentrating on righting the plane and really didn't notice what the engine was doing just before the crash.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:55 AM
zener3

Got both planes yesterday. I'll be building this weekend if I have a house left after the Hurricane here in Houston.

The manual for the C-182 sure has a lot more pictures than text? I'm sure because of where it's made. Anyway, I'll get it scanned and uploaded in case someone needs it in the future.

More when I get going.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 AM
damon

Hey I need help! Does anyone have an extra wing strut that they want to sell to me? Mine got cracked. I contacted nitroplanes to see if they had replacements, but not sure if they have any. Please let me know!!

thanks,

Damon
Old 09-18-2008, 02:04 PM
DSTIEBS

Damon: Try www.towerhobbies.com/listings.html. I did not look for the strut but you may find it there.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:08 PM
zener3

Damon, Check your PM
Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 PM
skyward

Just in case anyone is still interested in purchasing another 182, I found them on this web site and in stock.

http://www.raidentech.com/cmpcesk18250.html
Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 AM
zener3

Thats where I got mine just last week. Shipped pretty fast too.

Got it together last night, added a weighted spinner nut and lots of weight to the firewall to get it to CG at 68 - 69 mm. I put the os .46 with a pitts muffler in it with an 11X5 prop. Hope this is enough engine to get the thing in the air.

Anyone else running the .46 in this same plane? I'm headed to the field tomorrow to see for myself. Thanks for all the good info here in this forum.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:06 PM
zener3

OK, so I got one nervous but good flight in. Got it trimmed out and it flew and landed great. I used about 15 degrees of flaps on takeoff and landing. Helped slow it down some for L and T.

The second flight wasn't so good. Not sure what happened first but I rotated on my takeoff roll and then the nose came down hard. I broke the front Hobart strut and the right wheel came off. It also cracked the right landing gear right at the bend at the fuselage. My other one had a crack there too.

Does anyone know of an after market (Main) landing gear that will work on these? How about parts for this bird. I checked with Raidentech and they are all sold out of parts????

I know a good machinist that can probably make an aluminum set for me.

My fault on the Hobart strut, I didn't mount it like I should have. I will this next time tough.

Thanks for any info.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 AM
damon

Thats where I got mine just last week. Shipped pretty fast too.

Got it together last night, added a weighted spinner nut and lots of weight to the firewall to get it to CG at 68 - 69 mm. I put the os .46 with a pitts muffler in it with an 11X5 prop. Hope this is enough engine to get the thing in the air.

Anyone else running the .46 in this same plane? I'm headed to the field tomorrow to see for myself. Thanks for all the good info here in this forum.
Zener,

What type of weight did you use on the firewall? Was it the self adhesive lead strips that you get at the LHS. Let me know.

damon
Old 09-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Tracon

Goto your fishing tackle store and get a wedge shaped lead fishing weight wrap in black electrical tape and velcro to your motor mount...

Sam
Old 09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
DSTIEBS

I also got mine there. For the sale price you just can't beat it. I am going to get another one for Parts. You would pay more for the parts than you would to buy another one. I plan to put the OS 56-a 4 Stroke in it. Has anyone used this engine in theirs? I am also going with the Robart nose gear and all new hardware that is more heavy-duty than what came with it. I plan to use the pull-pull system for the Rudder. Has anyone used this setup for their Rudder? I will post the out-come of the build after it's maiden flight. Dave...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.