Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Scale poseable pilot making

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale poseable pilot making

Old 12-12-2010, 02:49 PM
bambam102

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scale poseable pilot making

Hi Patti. what is the best way to connect the extremities to your silicone body with the wires protruding as they do?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:18 PM
P4Patti

Bambam, do you mean how do you put the arms, boots, gloves etc onto the end of the limbs? If so, the accessories are hollow cast and slip over the ends of the foam body parts. The wire will need to be trimmed off first. I hope I understood your question correctly.

I have tidied up the wax of 1/4 scale Stew and moulded that yesterday so now it's basically ready for painting. I've also been working on the Richtoffen jacket and will have a look at his face that needs some "tweaking".
Doc, thanks for the offer of the photos, I'll keep that in mind.

Greg - we're cutting the other half of the 1/6 this week and then will make the mould so I'll let you know when that's ready, hopefully about a week. There have been the usual "silly season" interruptions so not quite as much work being done on the pilots as usual but that's life

cheers
Patti

Old 12-12-2010, 04:05 PM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh, life, another four letter word that bears sensure from time to time.
I hope your Holiday preseason is going smoothly.
Cheers Doc
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM
bambam102

Yes The body gives great opportunity to change the character, so in the event you do different head sculpts, it would be neat if the heads were easily interchanged as well as the accessories.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 PM
P4Patti

Bambam, that is the idea of it. Everything is interchangeable. All the "bits" fit onto the body - different heads, arms, gloves, boots .... And the uniforms can be changed so you could use the one body (as long as you choose things of the same scale!) and put different head and uniform for whichever plane you wanted it in. Sorry I hadn't made that clearer in the past.

And the range of heads will continue to grow over time. It has been time consuming doing the uniforms and accessories (boots, gloves etc - it takes time to research what to make first of all) but as these are sorted I'll have more time to do more heads.

We're currently having a few issues with the web site so it is down at the moment but hopefully we will have that up and running again very soon. Teething problems but the road ahead is long and we're only at the beginning

cheers
Patti
Old 12-17-2010, 12:49 AM
P4Patti

Well the website is still down due to hackers getting back in and creating havoc. It's apparently robotically generated and they target the biggest template sources like the one we used to create maximum disruption - don't you think they should use their time more creatively and constructively instead of destructively? [&o] It's taking too much time to try and sort and we're not getting very far with no-one being able to suggest how to stop it and the host ducking for cover. I'm not an IT expert and don't want to become one, I'd much rather be making little people! So we're going to take a new approach with a simpler web presence without the shop and listing every product and people can just email us for further info and their requirements. It'll probably be better in the long run anyway and our daughter is still keen to help out so she can handle the simple kit side of things and I can take care of the extra requests. We'll work on that one.

I've started painting Stew with his crusher cap and with all the troubles with the website I haven't done much more on the Red Baron's uniform but hopefully this weekend I'll make some progress there.

cheers
Patti
Old 12-26-2010, 12:50 AM
scale_dude

All I need is a set of feet and hands and a scale head. I can do the sewing myself. Keeps us informed of possible kit prices.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 AM
P4Patti

Hi All

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. We've had a few days off and it looks like we'll be getting a few more unexpectedly. It hasn't stopped raining and now the town is flooding and all the roads are cut. Thankfully we're high and dry and knowing it was coming I stocked up on necessities so I'm happy to be home with the time off. I got a new computer for Christmas so that has taken some time to sort out and transfer files and install programs onto. It also has Windows 7 which is new to me but I'm finding my way around and I like it.

We've also managed to sort out the website and got it operational again. I'm beginning to realise it's going to be an ongoing job but I guess that's part of it.

I haven't made much progress on Richthoffen with all the other goings on but he's far from forgotten. I have been finishing off the 1/4 scale Stew and painted him up and made a uniform. I'm really not happy with the colour of the shirt and haven't been able to find what I need so might have to resort to dying my own colour. The one I got is far too green for the olive drab dark which looks almost brown.

I bought Richard a CompARF 1/4 scale Spitfire for Xmas and it's actually 1:4.5 so now he wants a pilot that fits it properly. Looks like a new body mould will be in the pipeline for that in the New Year!

Well, the rain has actually eased which is promising but the flood waters are predicted to come downstream in a couple of days so I think we're in for worse. Hope the supplies hold out [X(] Might have to go fishing

Scale Dude, hopefully you'll be able to find something to help you out on the website now. Let me know if there's a problem with it but hopefully it's sorted.

cheers
Patti

www.properlittlepeople.com
Old 12-28-2010, 04:50 AM
grover1

Hi Patti
You are lucky with the flooding .We are not flooded in yet I say yet but maybe .
A CompARF 1/4 scale Spitfire for Xmas boy Richard's one lucky guy .Did he get you a new plan to ?

I'm getting a Brian Taylor 70" Hawker Hurricane as a late Xmas percent off the wife .
I will need a pilot for it but it may be to small for you to make
Greg
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Patti and Richard and all you other mob!! Just had to say good luck with the rising water and all the very best for the new year guys, with the web site and pilots and Booma.
We need wonderful enthusiastic people in our hobby like you so for all of us keep plugging along.

Cheers,

Brad (Proud owner of one of Patti's 'Proper Little People')
Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 AM
P4Patti

Hi Brad - rising waters over here, bush fires on your side of the country and poor old Britain and Ireland snow and iced in! What's giving us more grief than the weather is the hackers on the website though They've just about got us beat. It seems you have to be, or know, or find a full time "geek" (not my words, but know what they mean) capable of reading the code and finding problems almost daily. We've decided to abandon the shop front and just make a static information type site with a contact address. I can't believe the amount of time it's sucking up trying to sort it but we'll get there in the end. We will keep plugging on Brad, for sure Thanks for the encouragement.

There will be some of you pleased to know that we're planning on cutting another Richthofen head early next week so will get that ready this weekend.

Greg, is the Hawker Hurricane the plan or an acutal plane? Richard's Corsair is from a Brian Taylor plan and he really likes his plans. He's pretty excited about the Spitty though and with a very significant birthday coming up in a few weeks has dropped a few unsubtle hints about undercarriage and motor! Have to see how good he is I guess

Happy New Year to you all,

cheers
Patti
Old 12-31-2010, 03:50 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I completely fail to understand the mentality of "Hackers". To damage or destroy someone else's work is a foul deed indeed. I hope things improve for you.
Have a good new year.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:56 AM
P4Patti

I agree, you'd think they'd more constructive things to do with their talents. But we will beat it, just have to take a different approach.

cheers
Patti
Old 12-31-2010, 04:44 AM
grover1

Hi Patti
The Hawker Hurricane are plans and laser cut parts from Bob Holman
and Cowl ,canopy and alum spinner from Traplet

Greg
Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Patti, sorry to hear about the net problems. I think having a "store front" makes a lot of sense. It's a shame that it has become necessary to conduct business that way.

Good luck in the New Year and I hope you continue to prosper..
Old 01-08-2011, 03:35 AM
P4Patti

Thanks for the well wishes Bob, we'll get it sorted soon. I have a deadline for a magazine article on Monday so that is priority right now then we can turn the attention to sorting the website - again!

A week into the New Year already how time flies. Manfred has been cut, moulded and cast and he's looking good. I'm really pleased with his face and he's been done with hair and a separate removable service cap (is that what the Germans called them as well?) and will have a flying cap too. This first one was cut in 1/4 scale as if it needed redoing the mould is smaller and less waste of moulding materials. The third scale Manfred will be done soon too. I wanted to put a progress pic up here but am having trouble with my photo processing on the new Windows 7, still finding my way around, so will have a play tomorrow. I have got a pic of Stew in his current state just for interests sake, this was the first leather jacket. He needs more painting to finish him off but I haven't done any of that for a while.

cheers all
Patti

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40077.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1543937  
Old 01-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Ozflyboi

Hi Patti,

Well I am most impressed I have only just come across this thread today after a friend referred me to you.

I have to say your scale pilots looks stunningly realistic.

I tried getting onto your website and I am guessing that since the hackers had their play it is not fully functioning??

I would like to know if you are continuing to accept orders for scale pilots as I am after a 1/5 scale Civilian pilot?

Also I am wanting to find information on your pricing?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 AM
grover1

Patti
Looks like I will have to start doing 1/4 scale planes just to get one off your pilots

We are now cut of all roads out of Tin Can are cut[:@]

Greg
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 AM
P4Patti

Hi Steve, yes the website is still suffering from the hackers and although we've totally erased all the files that were up and have been working on a new one Google still has the warning up that it is infected. It's a matter of checking that the current one is OK and uninfected and then requesting Google to do a review of the site for us. I've been doing the article for the mag which had a deadline (today) so now that that is done I can concentrate on getting the website running again. I'll PM you my email address and then I can answer your questions about pricing etc. 1/5 size is not a problem and it depends on the civilian head but not having a particular uniform might make it reasonably quick.

Greg, lucky you made it back from Brisbane before they closed the roads. It's just amazing how this flooding is going on and on. We are in sunshine today but couldn't work because the roads are closed and no trucks can get through. Even the produce we sent on the weekend is now stuck at Dalby on the way to Melbourne!

You don't have to make 1/4 scale planes, it's just that I prefer working with the larger sizes so when I do one I start with the 1/4 size. The larger ones use too many materials when I'm trialling and erroring. The 1/6 body will happen but I'm not going to give you a date because something always seems to come up out of the blue to muck the plans up Like floods and hackers Hope your cupboards are well stocked

cheers
Patti
Old 01-13-2011, 02:24 PM
geezeraviation

Patti, are you guys OK? All the news is about the flooding in Brisbane and all about Queensland being floded everywhere. Best wishes, my heart goes out to you.
Doc
Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
P4Patti

Hi Doc, thanks for your best wishes and concerns. We are fine but things are fairly chaotic and hectic everywhere. The roads between our city, Bundaberg, and Brisbane have been cut for about a week so no mail, no deliveries of anything so panic buying and low fuel supplies etc! We are thankfully quite resourceful and organized people so are sitting tight at home and making the most of the time off to work on the pilots. Unfortunately that's not the case for thousands of others and it really is devastating.

We've managed to FINALLY get a website up and free of malware so now I can put the time once again into finishing that. The same address but you will probably have to refresh your cache or you'll continue to get the warning as before. You'll have to google how to do that for whichever browser you are using. The website is only half built so don't get too excited , it's still full of nonsense that has to be replaced but it's a forward step at last.

We cut another service cap that fits Manfred's head really well. I'm making good progress on him and will post a pic soon.

cheers and thanks
Patti

www.properlittlepeople.com

Old 01-13-2011, 05:11 PM
geezeraviation

So glad to hear you're safe and holding up well. Yes the whole situation is horrific, we've been seeing it in the news and it's unbelieveable. On a lighter note I was prowling around at the beginning of the thread and in the photos in post #14 in the background of the second photo and the third also is none other than Manfred, you're busted, you've been working on him for quite some time. Now I really feel lucky to have gotten Doug in such a short time, thanks again, and please take all care.
Doc
Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM
P4Patti

I have been working on him for quite a while but that one you saw in the background was cut from styrene foam, before we discovered wax and so the surface was a bit rough. But the facial features had been basically done and just needed a bit of adjustment here and there. The wax cut has come out so much better and with much finer detail. I also hadn't done anything back then on the uniform.

When are we going to see some pics of Doug in his office? Now the pressure's back on you

cheers
Patti
Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
geezeraviation

You have a picture of him in the office, and by the way I feel you have extended my fifteen seconds of fame, if only second hand. I looked at the site and there's Doug in the cockpit looking marvelous. What you need is a picture of him in the office IN FLIGHT. The temps havent been condusive to playing out of doors. Nothing like the conditions you face but I am a card carrying weather wimp and the thermometer doesnt have to dip very far to find me by the fire with a hot cuppa.
Doc
Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Damo260

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi I am chasing a ¼ scale pilot for my Nick Ziroli P-51D Mustang…
Damo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.