Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Super Stearman

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Super Stearman

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 AM
BILGE476

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Super Stearman

ORIGINAL: Shubova

Hi,
An unlucky event turned into good luck for me. My thinking was a 150 Saito would be more then enough power. I bought a used Saito 150 about 2 years ago but never used it. I put it in the Stearman but when I went to start it, it gave me problems. I just had acquired a 180 on a great deal so I changed out the 150 for the 180 and I love it. It does everything I want and more. It has power to spare. It's not fully aerobatic but it does things I didn’t expect. Of course I had the 150 fixed and plan on using on another plane.
With the 125 you should get a good scale flight but you end up adding some much weight to the plane I don’t know if it will do anything else.

Dave Brown or True Turn should have a shaft nut and washer that is close. I ended up using the washer and nut that came with the engine; and to that I added a True Turn shaft washer and adapter so the spinner fits nicely.
Some people cut the shaft down to get a fit but to me that degrades the integrity of the motor. It’s up to you if you want to do that.

One more thing! Make sure you check the incidence on the upper and lower wings, and the horizontal stabilizer. They should all be “0†degrees to each other. My upper wing ended up being 4 ½ degrees positive. Needless to say I had to input every bit of down elevator that I had and it still wanted to climb. Later through my investigation of the problem I found that the incidence varies on this plane from negative to “0†to positive. The crew that built mine must have done a lot of celebrating the day before. So beware!
I also moved the CG forward about 1/4 inch. Like I said it flys great now.
I hope this helps,
Shubova
[8D]
SHUBOVA, THANKS FOR THOUGTS ON SPINNER NUT MY WIFE IS PICKING UP A SHORT TRUE TURN COMBO AS WE SPEAK FROM OUR LOCAL HOBBIE SHOP, HE ORDERED IT IN LAST WEEK. ON THE CLIMB PROBLEM, ON MY FIRST FLIGHT I HAD TO ADD ABOUT 3 CLICKS OF DOWN TRIM FOR STHIGHT & LEVEL HANDS OFF FLIGHT BUT THE ADDITION OF 1 WASHER UNDER FRONT MOTOR MOUNT SCREWS TOOK CARE OF THAT. AS FOR THE POWER ISSUE MY SAITO 125 GK DOES A GREAT JOB W / 16X6 PROP, I WILL TRY A 16X8 THIS WEEKEND JUST TO SEE IF I LIKE THE DIFF. BUT RIGHT NOW THE BIRD DOES ALL OF THE AIROBATICS THAT ANY GOOD SPORT PLANE SHOULD DO, AND IT LOOKS LIKE A REAL STEARMAN DOING THEM, NOT A PITT'S SPECIAL OR AN ULTIMATE BIPE.PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND I FLY AN OLD C.G. EXTRA 300 - S W A 69" WING SPAN AND I HAVE AN OS 91 FX IN IT AND I LOVE EVERY BIT OF THE EXTRA POWER IT WILL GO VERTICAL OUT OF SIGHT AND ALMOST BRAKE THE SCALE SOUND BARRIER, HA - HA - HA.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Bilge476,

Do you realize that on RCU, when you write in ALL CAPS, that is meant as yelling or that you are aggitated in some way. Just thought you might like to know.

R/C Foolish
Old 09-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Capt. Ron

ORIGINAL: BILGE476

ORIGINAL: R/C Foolish

You might find that you are underpowered with that 125. I have a SAITO 150 in mine and wish I had put bigger.

R/C Foolish
DON'T BE FOOLISH MR FOOLISH, IF I HAD MORE POWER IT WOULD BE A 3-D'ER. REALY FLYS GREAT AT ABOUT 3/4 THROTEL IT LOOK AND ACTS VERY SCALE. I 'M SWINGING A 16-6 PROP AND EVERY ONE IS COMPLIMENTRY ABOUT THE SCALE PREFORMANCE, AT FULL THROTEL IT IS MUCH FASTER THAN A SCALE SHOULD BE.IT PREFORMS ALL STUNTS THAT A SCALE STEARMAN COULD DO. I'M NOT SURE I UNDESTAND ALL OF THIS POWER PROBLEM PEOPLE ARE HAVING, THE PLANE WAS SET UP FOR A 120. THIS IS NOT A ROCKET SHIP.ANYWAY THANKS BUT I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER. GOOD FLYING,BE SAFE B.R. MIKE
My understanding is that a Super Stearman is not scale. The engine is much larger than the ( stock or scale ) and that is just to start with. It has many other changes all so. For my self and my son we like POWER and SPEED. Instead of dead weight ( lead ) I chose a more power full engine. That sounds better to me than a big chunk of LEAD !! I'm using a 50cc gas engine with a 22-10 prop. I will added a little, to beef up the fire wall. This is a very well built plane and should handel it with no problems. Later I can use this engine on a larger plane.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:57 PM
BILGE476

ORIGINAL: R/C Foolish

Hey Bilge476,

Do you realize that on RCU, when you write in ALL CAPS, that is meant as yelling or that you are aggitated in some way. Just thought you might like to know.

R/C Foolish
No sorry! I use all caps in my work won't happen again. As I'm neither yelling or agitated at anybody.Thanks,good flying & be safe, b.r. Mike P.S. To all who read this please forgive my error on your site. I'm dumb when it comes to computer etiquette, but i do love to fly scale aircraft & any other type that come along ( under powered or overpowered).
Old 09-26-2008, 08:41 PM
iflyfastashell
My Feedback: (7)

couldnt resist stuffing a 50 in her myself! almost finished. yup ive gott speed issues
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59667.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1041471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59615.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1041472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68812.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	1041473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53414.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1041474  
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

BILGE476
I understand what you are saying. I really wasn't trying to imply that you were inexperienced. Some times is hard to gage the level at which a person is at by the posts they leave. And I too will throw out a dumb sounding question just to hear the different responses. In this way I can judge if my thinking is correct. It seems like I learn something new about this hobby almost every day. I am defiantly hooked.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Recently I have been flying my Stearman and an Extra 260. As you can imagine they are both challenging in their way which leads to a very interesting day of flying. My next project it a Hanger 9 Piper Cub which I going to add pontoons to for a float fly that coming up next month.

I recently read somewhere that you know you are hooked on R/C planes when your farts start to smell like 15%. I my case it’s 15% and 20/20. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Good Luck and Happy Flying!
Shubova
[8D]

Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Shubova

Thanks Foolish I never new that about ALL CAPS. For me all caps isn't much of an issue. My issue about some posts is that is seems like sometimes people don't really take the time to read what they write. I'm not saying that I am perfect but some post are so off in their grammer and spelling it's almost impossible to understand.[sm=confused.gif]
Happy Flying!
Shubova
[8D]
Old 09-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Shubova

iflyfastashell
Well I guess you do!
Your are going to have quite a diplay if you ever wreck it.[sm=bananahead.gif]
What does that thing weigh?
Good Luck!
Shubova
[8D]
Old 09-27-2008, 04:27 PM
iflyfastashell

not sure but i am pretty good at shaving weight and it shouldnt come in any heavier than a zenoah 26 equiped plane. in the underground world of guys that flyfastashell like me this has been done with dl and da 50s with great success. the secret is its not scale far from it. only use the extra power upline and while performing manuvers that require the speed . its like having the ultimate sleeper hot rod. ihave no need or desire to blow the wings off of it. i have a wagstaff to that with. this is going to be a fun plane with plenty of nuts. ill post more tonight as i finish up the details. i have upgraded all the important stuff to z bends 4-40 and digital hi torque servos. pinned all the surfaces and strengthend all the weak points.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:41 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a terrible, and probably lucky flight on my stearman today....

I recently swapped motors, and I was trying a different prop today, and it went lean and died on me. I haven't been flying it alot, and I haven't dead sticked it in a couple years.. i remember it usually glides pretty long and fast if its real calm, but comes down steep with a breeze. Mine is a bit heavy with a gas motor but flies great.. Well i was on one of the outlaying flight positions , not center field ..and the engine died.. I wasn't real high up ..60 feet maybe , I didn't really take my eyes off the plane to scan exactly, and unfortunately I didn't have a spotter. My first thought was I am too high to land north into a 4 mph wind, and too low to turn out and down wind and do a new approach, I possibly could have turned 180 degrees and landed down wind and probably went in the bean field.. But that required turning at the flight line and possibly stalling mid turn near everyone. So I decide to go north. On the end of our field is a double set of levees to contain a small creek on its route to the river. So I had to lose altitude without to much speed to either land going north, or bend it west at the end and roll up near the fence. I did some draggy right and left banks using just a tiny bit of aileron and rudder... but I just couldn't lose enough altitude and maintain a low enough speed. Finally I was at the end of the field and I thought oh no, I am going to be hauling butt when I roll into that fence. That wasn't the problem I had... the plane was about 20 feet off the field over the levees, as I turned to level off, there I am settling into the worst place possible. It caught the right wings in the tall grass and weeds hauled it down, a nasty smack sound and you could hear it rolling down in the 8-10 feet deep creek bed (dry now thankfully) Anyhow I get over there and the motor mounts broke off, taking the cowl with it. I must have about 8 holes and tears in the monocote, but I don't think it BROKE A SINGLE STICK on the plane !

That was a lucky ending, but I am still just sick, I don't know if I made the worst emergency decision, but I sure wish I had made a better one! I don't know if I had the nerve to use a little opposite rudder and aileron to slip it more if I could have gotten it down..or if I would have just snapped it in...anyhow I am torn between feeling lucky and disgusted..
Old 09-28-2008, 02:03 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought that Saturday was going to be the day, for me. My taxi testing went well. The G-23 had plenty of power and the Stearman felt light and was ready to lift off.

I throttled back, to taxi back to the pits, when the motor died.

The inspection revealed a nonlinear throttle response. Too much play in the lower end of throttle, making it impossible to get consistant low idle. I'm using the B&B throttle kit, but the problem seems to be in throttle arm on the G-23.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem ? I'd like to get this solved before I put this beauty in the air.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:21 PM
iflyfastashell

did some more work this weekend. still some tidying up but getting closer. plan on having her in the air this coming weekend.

Name:	Ig13253.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1042595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25473.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1042596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85147.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1042597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19008.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1042598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22392.jpg
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1042599  
Old 09-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Shubova

Talk about surprises. [sm=bananahead.gif]Today I went out fly my Stearman. As I was taking off I mishandled the rudder and the plane veered of the run way. No problem, as I was crossing the runway I could here the engines was still running. I though it had died.
I had given my radio to my spotter a newbie to hold. Not know that the engine was still running he invertally hit the throttle stick. Boy did I get excited, I yelled at him to stop but he didn't know what was going on. He didn’t realize he had hit the stick. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]Fortunately the plane was pointed way from me and it went into the brush and flipped over front to back. And again fortunately nothing was damaged. Wow what a rush. [sm=eek.gif]Just goes to show how quickly things can happen wrong.
Sh... happens!
Shubova
[8D]
Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Shubova

Sorry about the spelling errors I'm still a little excited!
Shubova
[8D]
Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 PM
mrcasey69
My Feedback: (1)

Mounting the Saito 170R.

Name:	Fd91725.jpg
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	1042907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60431.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	1042908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64810.jpg
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	1042909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69652.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	1042910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78644.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	1042911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23490.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	1042912  
Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Capt. Ron

I would love to hear and see your plane fly. If you can, it would be great to see a video !!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Capt. Ron

Hi iflyfastashell. What engine is that? Looks like a First Place Engine. Will you be able to use a 22" prop? Do you have any good ideas on beefing it up for the 50cc ? My son and I are just starting to put it together. Great pictures!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 PM
mrcasey69
My Feedback: (1)

Capt. Ron, check my earlier post (1259) of another S.S. flying with 170R. I will be sure to post a video of mine. I hope to get her in the air before the snow flies.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Capt. Ron

Very cool! I watched it three times. Some day I will build something with a radial engine. Thanks
Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 PM
iflyfastashell

that is a crcc 50 pro it swings a 22x8 or 22x10 it is a strong runing motor. if you look at the fire wall other than maybe pinning the triangle stock that is on the frame where it goes thru the firewall i cant see anywhere else to make stronger. it is all pinned and blocked reallty well.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Capt. Ron

Thanks iflyfastashell. On some of my other planes, I use baking soda and CA. If I have a hard to reach area I use a straw to place the baking soda then drip in the CA. It has worked good so far.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM
foodstick

I take every arf I build, stand it on the firewall, and flow gorilla glue/elmers ultimate, into every nook and cranny around the firewall and fuselage joints, let it swell up for a few hours, ties it all together really well.. Not one firewall torn out yet ...including a recent incident with my stearman where I broke both metal motor mounts ...rubber isolated dubro mount let go, instead of firewall.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Capt. Ron

I think I have some of that glue. I will give it a try. Can it be put in thick? How much will it foam up? Thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
foodstick

It swells up about 4-5 times larger than when you started, it depends on humidity, you can even mist it with water for more foaming...just take a couple pieces of scrap wood, glue them together, use a clamp , watch how much it expands as a test.. I love the stuff, makes a light tough gripping gusset all down the joint...
Old 10-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Capt. Ron

Sounds good! Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.