Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

As a business Chris has to make some hard decisions... he's taking a beating on multiple occasions to bring what he believed to be the best out there. I'd venture to say that most everyone who got one of the first batch Yaks would agree (as well as his other aircraft).

Since then a plethora of Yaks have come to market... some are even offering carbon fiber components, wing/fuse & stab bags, etc.. And many of them (though heavier) are reported as flying nicely too.

The original CAD design done at the "first" manufacturer was devloped from Chris' criteria... alignments, moments, airfoil, wing placement, stab placement, etc...

It takes a good deal of time to draw up plans, tool up, make prototypes, test fly, make CAD modifications, make prototypes, test fly, etc... to develop a great flying model. That's why we often see planes that are "so-so" because MOST companies aren't willing to go through the expense and time to make it the "best" it can be. They also come in heavier because they care more for profit than perfection. So OTHER similar designs might come in as much as 2.5 lbs heavier becuase of cheap/heavy balsa, cheap heavy aluminum gear, etc. they still fly nice... but oh to have perfection. That's why it took so long to design, tool up and produce THESE yaks we got with the second manufacturer.

Now on this Yak issue. I had one, best flying plane I've ever flown. Sold it because I was on the list for another. Had I known this was going to happen, I probably would not have sold it. So in a manner of speaking... I'm out too...

BUT... imagine if this next plane had already been under CAD design... in fact plans already completed prior to this last fiasco with the factory and finding out no planes were forthcoming.

You HAVE to turn a profit (especially after losing on your last two ventures)... With many already getting tired of waiting and buying other Yaks, and the fact that there is the QQ Yak which is nearly identical, the AeroTech, the BME, the TOC, the Lanier... all these at or near market.

NOW... you have to start CAD design of this plane again... because the plans with the other manufacturer are developed around their processes (and quite honestly they probably wouldn'tlet him have them anyway... they don't have to according to their laws)

And suppose you knew that these CAD files got "shared" with yet another china manufacturer so you can expect some nearly identical knockoffs soon from yet ANOTHER manufacturer?

Do you spend the time to CAD design the Yak again, test fly, stress test, etc, tool up and go into production on a plane that has flooded the marketplace now... OR do you do like you did initially... come out with a new design that totally blows away anything like it just as the EF 87" Yak did when it made it out...

And a design that isn't flooding the market... As a business person I'd have to go with the latter... if we are to see EF grow and continue to bring these planes to market they need to turn a profit... and if they can come to market FASTER with a design already in CAD... then so be it.

I DO hope that Chris will follow up with his 87" Yak eventually... and if there is enough demand and it makes good business sense.. he will.

Til then give him credit for eating humble pie yet again and explaining EVERYTHING that has transpired AND not committed to promising anything more until he has everything fully under his control.

The bottom line is that Chris can logistically bring to market a "new" kick-butt plane before he can bring the Yaks back... he stands to lose a lot more "waiters" if he announces it wouldn't be til summer til Yaks can be developed and delivered. But he has a good shot at delivering 2006's hot plane to have in early spring....

Old 11-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Maudib

I think you can rest assured that people left on the Yak list will get first dibs at the new planes...

Uh oh... that means the first batch of this new plane is ALREADY SOLD OUT without even knowing what it is!!!!!! How's that for demand...

ORIGINAL: SpaceW

I thing Chris should put the names on the waiting list for the new 50cc. ( because if any yaks come i want to buy the new 50cc! )
Old 11-16-2005, 01:53 PM
SpaceW

Uh oh... that means the first batch of this new plane is ALREADY SOLD OUT without even knowing what it is!!!!!! How's that for demand...
I can not slightly say that i will buy the new 50cc plane because i don't already know what is it ( i may dislike the shape..) but i can figure out how a great flyer this plane will be. besides as Chris wants to keep the mystery on the new 50cc i imagnie that the plane is not common ( i presume it's not an extra or a cap, or a cub ) which , i fell, is refreshing!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I agree David...And Im not doggin' Chris at all but...

I guess my main concern is if Chris does decide not to produce any more of the original Yaks, where does that leave those of us that have them now? I know Chris said he has replacements parts in stock at this time... but what about 6 months from now..Now I dont expect any company to have years worth of extra parts in stock at all times but If I need something down the road it would be nice to know Im able to get it..
Old 11-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Mike Parsons

Cut and pasted from Chris's post:
We already have considerable time and resources invested in our next 50cc release (the first plane that will be built in Malaysia) and it will probably be available before the Yak is. The Yak is but one of many designs we intend to produce and the new 50cc release will certainly perform every bit as well as the Yak.
Sounds to me it will be produced, however there are designs in front of it.

-Mike
Old 11-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maudib, Obviously you must be reading my post's, otherwise how do will you find out I've even made a post? I'm really not sure if you have the capacity to understand my post's anyway. Anyone that makes a blank statement declaring they'er willingness to buy anything that Chris sells before they even know what he's selling...... Hummm, I think you have already been buying what he's been selling. It's sad that I'll never hear from you again, because I've been "banished" to the Block List.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Maudib

I think this is another opportunity to clarify something... I do NOT work for Chris, have never been paid by Chris for design work (which I do for a living) and have no financial reason to support EF whatsoever. I'm not sposored by him and have never recieved anything from him I didn't pay for.

If there is a personal relationship it's based on him caring enough to keep in contact when I was going through hell in the hospital fighting my Leukemia and my recovery since. In addition to his great offerings... this has scored some brownie poitns with me... but you can rest assured I am nobody that he would go out of his way to be nice to. It was simply genuine concern for a fellow human being.

The only work I've done for Chris was to assemble his e-powered Yak for him.

I support Chris because I truly am impressed with his models, his dedication to bringing only the best to market and his ability to eat humble pie and lick his fingers when he's done.

I DO work for other manufacturers and like their planes too... so I don't play favorites based on income... never will.

I'd trust Chris in his word that he has ample parts for future needs. He can't be responsible forever just as you can't buy all the replacement parts for every discontinued H9 or GP plane...

It's quite possible that a new Yak from his new factory might NOT be completely interchangeable partwise with the current ones as it is... but alos dont' assume that at some point Chris won't have more manufacturered by the plant that was/is making them now... it just may be that he's not going to put all his eggs in that basket anymore...

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

I agree David...And Im not doggin' Chris at all but...

I guess my main concern is if Chris does decide not to produce any more of the original Yaks, where does that leave those of us that have them now? I know Chris said he has replacements parts in stock at this time... but what about 6 months from now..Now I dont expect any company to have years worth of extra parts in stock at all times but If I need something down the road it would be nice to know Im able to get it..
Old 11-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Maudib

It's quite possible that a new Yak from his new factory might NOT be completely interchangeable partwise with the current ones as it is... but alos dont' assume that at some point Chris won't have more manufacturered by the plant that was/is making them now... it just may be that he's not going to put all his eggs in that basket anymore...
Good point..I didnt look at it that way.

Well here something to lighten the mood around here..Im ready for my maiden flight this weekend! My CG is at 7" and everything is loctited and bolted tight!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:04 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Good point..I didnt look at it that way.

Well here something to lighten the mood around here..Im ready for my maiden flight this weekend! My CG is at 7" and everything is loctited and bolted tight!
Good luck on the maiden flight. I like to do a snaproll on the first takeoff about 15 feet up, it drives people crazy and gets the confidence going. You might want to give it a try, ahhh on second thought, maybe not.

Your going to love this plane but don't do what a friend of mine did. he started sleeping with his Yak and got caught by his wife. Try to explain that one!

john

John
Old 11-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Bob Laine

Rickmussman, Let me just say this up front. Chris does have a right to build and sell anything he wishes too. My problem is He's not doing either. I made this statement in my treply Chris's post above and I'll say it to you again. "So the Chinese stole the Yak from Chris, Guess what......He stole it from the Russians. All he did is adapt it for RC use. Is there no honor among theives?

PS Put me on your list
Old 11-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Bob Laine

I tried that once......Didn't work for me
Old 11-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Good luck on the maiden flight. I like to do a snaproll on the first takeoff about 15 feet up, it drives people crazy and gets the confidence going. You might want to give it a try, ahhh on second thought, maybe not.
Thanks! I still need my DA decal..cant fly without that..I need it for balance

Your going to love this plane but don't do what a friend of mine did. he started sleeping with his Yak and got caught by his wife. Try to explain that one!
Yuck! I just got a visual on that![:'(]
Old 11-16-2005, 03:27 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Bob, what gives buddy? So now I'm a thief? I don't take too kindly to being called such. Are you implying that everyone who has sold a model of a scale aircraft is a thief? What point are you trying to make here?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:30 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Thanks! I still need my DA decal..cant fly without that..I need it for balance

Yuck! I just got a visual on that![:'(]
ya it wasn't pretty!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

<-----pulls up a chair and grabs a beer...cuz this is gettin' good!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

Rickmussman, Let me just say this up front. Chris does have a right to build and sell anything he wishes too. My problem is He's not doing either. I made this statement in my treply Chris's post above and I'll say it to you again. "So the Chinese stole the Yak from Chris, Guess what......He stole it from the Russians. All he did is adapt it for RC use. Is there no honor among theives?

PS Put me on your list
Bob,
You are out of line. My pappy used to tell me" If three people tell you are drunk...lie down".
Old 11-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Bob Laine

Bull
Old 11-16-2005, 03:58 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Bob, what I want to know is what you are trying to prove. What is your hidden agenda here? You say I sold you a Yak in Winder and you are happy with it. That's great! Now what's your beef with me?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Mike Parsons

Bob,
You sound like an intelligent guy. Surely you can grasp what is intended when someone speaks of stealing a design. Just because it looks like a Yak-54 and carries the shape does not mean that there has not been countless hours of design gone into the plane. The design is in the formers, in the way the peices interlock, to the foam turtledeck, cords, wing position all of which has to be designed as the full scale Yak does not contain it.
So yes..when another plane comes out with parts that are interchangeable (although not as well built), has the same wingcord, airfoil, and even the peices interlock and are cut the same...yes that is a stolen design. No two CAD drawings will be the same unless one is reverse engineered. So when you hear that it is a stolen design, steer your mind towards that and forget about the shape of the plane as you seem to be hung up on it.

You ask Chris not to take it personal? Give me a break. So dont insult everyone's intelligence as I wont insult yours by even for a second thinking you didnt have an alterior motive by posting your diatribe.

Rant off.

-Mike
Old 11-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Josey.......amongst all this........

Good Luck on the maiden, man . She'll go straight off the board.....these things fly themselves.

LOW RATES......at first
Old 11-16-2005, 05:22 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

LOW RATES......at first
Naww..

Takeoff to a 1-1/4 snap to the left. The start a rolling harrier to the right.
You can set the trims later..
Old 11-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Guys, guys... It's pretty obvious that Bob has an axe to grind about something... I would take him seriously if he could spell -or- put together two coherent thoughts in the same paragraph, but since he can't, he's just another TROLL... Maybe it's time to give him a bottle and put him down for a nap...

Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings, "Never argue with an idiot... They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"...

Now Bob can put me on his block list... hehehe...

Old 11-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Bob Laine

Bosshossv8.....Well what do you know, another "PUPPET popped up out of the pulpit. I am an intelligent guy. Maybe some might even say that I'm too smart for my "BRITCHES". That may, or may not be true. I can tell you one thing that is for sure though, and that is, when I read what someone says, and I want to make an observation of what I think they said, I always try and Quote them accurately. Please go back and read my comments again. I never said Chris stole the design. I said thee Chinese stole the "YAK," from Chris and Chris stole the "YAK" from the Russians.Notice I didn't mention anything about DESIGN. There is a vast difference between the two words, and the way I used them. I never intended for one minute to suggest that Chris, was a thief. I have probably owned more of his kit's than you have, and I look forward to owning more. (if I like what he offers) I bought his kits, when they were sold in plastic bags, when maybe you never heard of him.
I can't understand how you, or any of the other "POP UP PUPPETS" on this thread, think I have been attacting Chris, personally. The comments I make are directed toward Extream Flight, as a company, not Chris as a person. I firmly believe that Chris, as the owner of the company, has a duty, and an obligation to his customers when promised shipments of airplanes that have been long awaited, cannot be delivered. And, as Chris said in his post, He understands the implications and negative comments that will surely come when you make promise's that sometimes can't be controlled due to circumstances and dependance on others in a foreign country. Make no mistake, I like Chris Hinson, and on a personal basis, he is beyond reproach. It's his business practices's I have a problem with. I live in the same State as Chris.and I've known and his reputation long before he started his company. I might add that reputation is impeccable. I look forward to more product's from Extream Flight in the future. Like I said before.......I had tried to contact The company (Extream Flight) for almost a year with no success. If me comiing on this thread and making my comments (negative or not) resulted in him coming on the thread and up-dating you on the statis of your "Yak" which you have been eagerly awaiting has probably been in vain.......Then maybe I've acomplished something. I KNOW..........Go to the list.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:13 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread seems to have lost most of its usefuleness months ago. Really NOTHING more than an unimformative soap opera by now. I truly hope Chris succeeds. Even though I may never own one of his 50cc planes, he is to be commended in my book if for nothing else sheer perseverance. I know I would have given up long long ago.
Having said that, I find it mind boggling that people wish to be put on a list for a non-existant mystery plane with an unknown price, unknown look and unknown flying characteristics to be built in an as of now unestablished factory in Malaysia sometime in the future. What is up with this? If I were Chris, I would be taking non refundable deposits!! Give it a break guys. Chris may be an awesome guy as far as guys go, but this is getting ridiculous. My.02 Craig
Old 11-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Bob Laine

Hey.....I don't have a list. Looking at your avatar tells me the intelligence bracket you fit in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.